To cardio or not to cardio?

Options
Hello,

I'm a 19yo, 200lb, 5'9 male with about 30 pounds to lose, focusing solely on FAT loss.
What difference does cardio make?
I can eat, for instance, 1500 calories and not exercise, or I can eat 1900 calories and bike for 30 minutes.
I'm very satisfied with 1500 calories so increased food intake isn't an advantage to me.
Some people said that cardio prevents muscle loss.

Can anyone with experience/knowledge clarify?

Thank you!

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Weight loss = fat and muscle. Cardio will do this as well as diet.

Fat loss only = diet, cardio and weight training. As you need to do resistance training to reduce the muscle loss to the bare minimum
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Well if your only focus is to lose fat then just eat 1500 calories.

Fat loss is calories in vs calories out. You don't need to exercise to lose weight.

But if you want to do some cardio, do High Intensity Interval Cardio - Burns calories during and after your work out.
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    I'd rather sit at home and watch movies really. I'm wondering if cardio is NECESSARY for muscle loss prevention.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    No not really, it could potentially increase muscle loss. However, if cardio is your only form of exercise, I would recommend it over sitting on the couch.

You'd be much better eating your 1500 calories and strength training 2-3 times a week, though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No not really, it could potentially increase muscle loss. However, if cardio is your only form of exercise, I would recommend it over sitting on the couch.

You'd be much better eating your 1500 calories and strength training 2-3 times a week, though.

This!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    If you only want to lose weight, diet alone will work.

Cardio won't prevent muscle loss. Strength training will help that the most. Cardio has other health benefits, though.

Exercise to be fit and healthy. Diet is all you need for pure scale loss.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I think too many people view cardio through the prism of weight loss or muscle gain and then dismiss it. Neither are the primary purpose of cardio.

To lose weight : calorie deficit.
    To lose fat : calorie deficit + macro control + resistance training.
    To gain muscle : calorie surplus + macro control + resistance training.
    To improved heart health and recovery time : cardio.
    To improve overall health : calorie control + macro control + resistance training + cardio.

I'll let my results speak for themselves:

In September I was 220 lbs, nearly 40% body fat, my cholesterol was 250, my blood pressure was elevated, and I got winded climbing the stairs or running for my daughter's school bus.

I started calorie and macro control, did the couch to 5k program, and started resistance training. The result - I'm down to 164 lbs, 18% body fat (very little muscle loss), my cholesterol is at 140, my blood pressure is normal, and I run 3 miles, 3 times a week. I don't just run for the school bus now - I can scoop up my daughter and sprint for it. As a happy side effect, I also look better than I have in a decade, and I'm on my way to regaining the body I had at 18 (I'm 35).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't "do cardio" because "cardio" is boring and painful and I hate it. So I won't do it.

However, I am active. I play tennis, go mountain biking, ski, etc. It's important for both physical and mental health to actually get out of the house and be active with some frequency.

Does it matter for weight loss? Not really.

My point is don't torture yourself by getting up and "doing cardio" if you hate it. However, you SHOULD be finding something active that you do enjoy enough to want to participate in regularly.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't "do cardio" because "cardio" is boring and painful and I hate it. So I won't do it.

However, I am active. I play tennis, go mountain biking, ski, etc. It's important for both physical and mental health to actually get out of the house and be active with some frequency.

My point is don't torture yourself by getting up and "doing cardio" if you hate it. However, you SHOULD be finding something active that you do enjoy enough to want to participate in regularly.

^^^^^ yayyyyyy...this doubled :smile:
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight through calorie deficit alone. However, many (if not most) people want to improve their health and fitness, not just lose weight.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I read this quoted, and thought "sounds like a logical, sensible approach". I should have realized it would be you, Jon.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Well he's actually doing cardiovascular activities. Just ones that are fun, actually has a point and has the dual purpose of involving skill. VS the mindless trudge on a treadmill
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: You are doing cardio, you're just having fun doing it!

To the OP, yes you should be doing cardio (forget weight loss - heart health) but it should be fun activities you enjoy doing. Having said that, life is often full of surprises. I started running again a few years ago more to support another sport I started playing (I had hated running in my younger years) and - surprise - I found that I loved running just for the sake of running.....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That's the point. It's certainly cardiovascular exercise, but it's not "cardio." By that I mean it's not something you go out and do for the sole purpose of stressing your heart - it's something you do for fun.

The idea is to focus on fun, not your heart rate. No one does "cardio" long term. They do however keep doing something they enjoy, whether it's swimming or running or cycling or golf or tennis or whatever.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The cardio or other exercise will not be necessary for weight loss. You can achieve this with a caloric deficit only.

However, as others have pointed out, you'll want to at least incorporate strength training to save the muscle you do have and possibly gain.

Cardio has its uses, but think of it as a way to make your heart stronger instead of just a way to burn off energy.
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    Thank you all very much! Very helpful information :)
    I'm fairly active, I bike at least once a week (because I like it and I have to bike to the grocery store). I also play soccer from time to time. I walk to the bus stop for 15 minutes in total everyday.
  • kassie0854
    Options
    Healthy Eating habits and exercise. Always exercise because it doesn't just help with weight loss with to keep your heart healthy and your muscles and lungs in shape. :smile:
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Functional fitness is key. Do both. Cross train. If you get an injury in one, you can move to the other (hopefully). You'll truly be fit, look great, and stay functional.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    You have a cardiovascular system. You should probably be doing something to keep it functioning well.

You have muscles throughout your body. You should probably do a bit to keep them working and functioning too.