Have you given up Diet Soda?

Options

Replies

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    For the most part I have given up soda & flavored water. The only time I have a diet soda is when I go out to eat. I usually drink plain water; occasionally, I'll have milk. I used to drink flavored water a lot, but I luckily kicked that habit.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    nothing against diet soda I just don't feel like having to fart every 30 minutes
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I started getting headaches from diet products, so I've all but given them up. It's been a difficult transition, and I back slid to sugar sweetened caloric beverages to replace the diet. However, I'm getting better by drinking fruit and tea infused water.
  • redhotbeads
    redhotbeads Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I gave it up, just because of all the stuff said about nutrasweet. If I really have to have a soda, I have a regular Coke (rarely). Every now and again, though, I HAVE TO HAVE a Diet Pepsi. Nothing wrong with having one every once in a blue moon.
  • andijean31
    andijean31 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I gave it up last July. I've found it much easier to lose weight since then, arguably because I'm drinking more water and I've read that artificial sweeteners actually make you hungrier (among other negative side effects).
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I gave up coke zero a month or so ago. I just couldn't get enough water in. Best decision ever, I don't even miss it.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm about a month into this no diet Soda. I had to give it up.

One a day won't hurt but...

Its when I have like 4 when its a problem. So yes, I had to give it up.

This is the second time given it up though. First time I went back to one a morning for the caffeine. Than found myself with drinking more..

So I found Starbucks ice coffee in the bottles. xD
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yes i drink it
    yes its bad
    yes it can prevent weight loss
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke Effects

Diet Coke can actually cause you to gain weight. This was the startling data found by epidemiologist Sharon Fowler, from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, and presented to the American Diabetes Association. She found that for each diet soda that was consumed per day, subjects were 65 percent more likely to become overweight. This research is startling to those who used Diet Coke as a way to cut calories each day. Fowler contends that diet sodas tell your subconscious to eat more, as you consumed less calories because of the soda. This could prove to be a dangerous trap for someone hoping to lose weight.

Weight-Loss Plan

Someone following a strict weight loss plan may need an occasional treat or extra motivation to hit the gym. Diet Coke can be a treat that is consumed within reason, as an occasional way to reward yourself for the hard work of sticking to a diet and exercising regularly. However, it should be just that --- an occasional reward. Thinking of Diet Coke as less of a diet aid and more of an indulgence can help you put your daily consumption in check.

Better Alternatives

Easily, the best alternative to Diet Coke is plain water. When working out, your body will sweat and leave it deprived for moisture, so you should always be drinking water when exercising to lose weight. Water is also the perfect diet drink; it has no calories, no artificial sweeteners and no caffeine. You can add other flavors to it, such as lemon and lime if the flavor is too boring for you, but after switching to water, you'll find that you crave hydration more than you crave Diet Coke.

Bottom Line

Despite the clever packaging and product name of Diet Coke, Diet Coke is not a diet drink. It will not help you to lose weight and may even cause you to gain some. While it is OK to have it once per week as a treat, water should be your beverage of choice when you are embarking on a weight-loss program
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    NO! and I never will! I love a cold bottle of diet pepsi mmmmmmmmm!
  • Slythiechick
    Slythiechick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've given up all sodas. I used to drink two two liters a DAY. I slowly cut down to a about 3 cans a day. After moving in with a friend that only drank "clear" sodas (like Sprite and 7UP), I switched to only clear too. It's was rough but I pushed through it. I tried a "dark" soda (I think a Coke) after a few months of only clear and it tasted horrible to me. I slowly cut the clear stuff down until this April when I said the heck with it and cut it all out. I haven't had a soda since, and really feel better and don't miss it.

Not everyone's the same, but maybe you could try switching to clear sodas and slowly cutting down to see if it'll work for you?
  • bbqgal123
    bbqgal123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ive given it up. No juice or soda of any kind since January 2013, I feel a ton better. For me its a trigger to snack. I bet you do a ton of cardio. I workout hardcore circuits for 45 min 4 x a week. Best shape of my life. Workout hard for a shorter time. Forget cardio.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Nope, I still drink it.

I went without it for a month to see if I noticed any difference in bloat, headaches, etc., and there was not one single thing different off diet soda than on it.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I still drink it and don't really have any plans to stop. It hasn't interfered with my weight loss and I enjoy it.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I haven't given it up and I'm not going to. I only drink a can every few days. I enjoy the taste, and I don't think the amount I drink is going to kill me. Why do you eat the same things every day? There are so many good things to eat that I'd die of boredom doing that!
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 a day. I drink mostly water. My biggest concern with it is the effects on my teeth. I don't think it affects weight.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    NOPE!:drinker:
  • CrimsonHolly
    Options
    Yes. The sweetness of the soda made me want to snack all the time.

I also read somewhere that diet soda causes your metabolism to slow down.

I'm trying to avoid all artificial sugars. They just make me want to eat.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I gave it up a few months ago. How? I just stopped drinking it. :tongue:
  • terracotta1985
    Options
    I Gave up MTN Dew it wasn't diet and I didn't even go to a diet form and I feel so much better just drinking water. My kidneys have been thanking me ever since diet or not soda is the worst drink you could do to yourself like that.