walking

Options
Can I lose 100lbs by just walking for 30 twice a week as my only form of exercise? I eat healthy.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Remember, losing weight is 60% diet, 30% fitness and 10% genetics (or so I have been told). But, there are a lot of people who walk as their form of exercise. Just make sure you are progressing your walk. Meaning picking up tempo, adding time or mileage, and maybe even trying a running program to help mix it up.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Any form of exercise will help for sure. But you will likely find that as you start with this you will naturally progress to doing more. Its just natural instinct and you will start to see good results hopefully. Obviously as you do more exercise you will see faster returns from a weight loss perspective. But keep it simple and manageable at first to not put yourself in a system that wont work or you will get frustrated with too quickly. So go at your own pace and just naturally increase the amount as you go and I think you will find amazing results. Good luck!
  • Pandabug93
    Pandabug93 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sure, it might take you a little while but as long as you are burning more calories than you take in, you will lose the weight. You should try walking different routes though, some uphill some days when you have more energy just to vary up the routine.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I agree w/Faceoff. If you could shoot for 3 /week, that would be better. Do brisk walking, and don't avoid inclines. Good luck!
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think walking is a good way to lose weight. If you have an android phone, I recommend getting MapMyWalk. It's a gps based pedometer and gives you a map of what you walked. It also keeps track of speed, time, and calories burned if you enter your weight. It's pretty cool!
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    you wouldn't burn much. focus on your diet and you should be fine
  • malliexo
    malliexo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would make sure that you get your heartrate up so your walk is more of a cardio walk rather than a stroll.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    you wouldn't burn much. focus on your diet and you should be fine

You'd actually be surprised by how much you can burn while walking. Definitely work on fast walking though.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    In 10 years ago I lost close to 70 pounds in about 7-8 months after cutting out fast food, alcohol and soda in my diet combined with only walking. So yes you can lose the weight with good eating habits and walking. Make it brisk, do it every day and find some hills to go up and down.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Due to joint problems I walk as the majority of my exercise. When I got started in August, I walked 30-35 minutes 3x per week. It didn't take long for me to be able to go for longer, faster, and more often. I stuck to a small route with more level terrain in the beginning while my feet and legs were getting acclimated, then branched out to wider routes with lots of hills--my neighborhood is great for this. Nowadays I'm walking about 4.5 hours per week, over 5 or 6 days.

I highly recommend using a device or app of some kind to track your walking. I downloaded CardioTrainer (Android) and found it very motivating to see my distance and speed improving and know how many calories I was really burning. Get someone to help you measure your stride so you can enter accurate settings if you use CardioTrainer; most programs seem to extrapolate stride from height but it's much more accurate to use the actual stride length.