Weights

Options
Ok so I have decided to listen to my fellow mfpers and back of on the all the cardio and add in some strength training. Since this has never been my strong suit I thought I would find out how everyone else is doing it. What are some things everyone else is doing...and do you do upper and lower in the same day or do one per day? I did my upper body today (all the upper body machines at the gym) and I don't feel anything so I don't even know if what I am doing is going to make any difference....which I think is why I have a hard time sticking with it:huh:

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My trainer at the gym has me doing 2 sets of 20 reps on each machine. However sometimes i like to do 3 sets of 12 on heavier weights - just depends how i feel on the day. If I have time I do 30 mins cardio and weights on upper and lower body - including dumbells for upperbody. If im lacking time then i cut it down to 20 mins cardio and either upper or lower body. If i do a full body work out then i leave at least a day between workouts and I make sure I have lots of protein when using weights.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You should find a weight or setting that gets you to fatigue at 10 repetitions. Then bump up the weight or setting and do 8 repetitions. Bump up the weight or setting a third time and do 6 repetitions. You can do all of the machines on the same day, or if you start lifting weights or doing more strenuous training, you would alternate upper body and lower body. You may want to do a search in the Community because I am sure there are a lot of strength training tips in there. Don't give up, and consider booking a personal trainer to take your through the proper form and movements to do. Then you will feel confident in what you are doing.
  • fullboost
    fullboost Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The 'machines' could be your problem. They're nowhere near as good as free weights, cables, dumbells etc.
    Check out this site www.musclehack.com, before you laugh, i appreciate you're probably not into body building and aren't going to follow any sort of bulking up plan etc etc, however some of the articles are well worth a read - they'll dismiss a lot of gym 'myth' which will only waste your time.
  • kayv
    kayv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    so great to read the successes! Congrats all of you and keep up the fine work.
  • hydrocy
    hydrocy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do jazzercise that is cardio and strength training all in one hour. My arms and legs are really getting defined. But what is great is my "core," the obliques, they are really getting into shape. I only have a one pack but it is a start.
  • sgssmile
    sgssmile Posts: 62
    Options
    I find the classes at the gym the best for me. I have had personal trainers before and I don't enjoy it as much plus:flowerforyou: it is much more expensive. I like the "set" classes at 24 hr. fitness it is both cardio and weights. I have lost many inches since I have been going to the classes and have firmed up a lot. I do however believe in the theroy that muscle weighs more than fat, but muscle burns more calories. I think you have to try things and find what is best for you.....as long as you are doing something it is all good!!!
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but it seems that all of the varying opinions in response to your question proves one thing: everyone is different. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but you need to find something that feels right and produces results for you. I use machines at my gym - 3 sets of ten on each machine at a weight level that I'm able to do in good form (if the weights are too heavy, my form suffers). It might be worth meeting with a trainer once or twice to get into a groove, or just try out different things and see what you like. I also like using a stability ball at home. I really feel it in more core when I use it. Good luck!