Sodium intake

Options
CarmenS76
CarmenS76 Posts: 20 Member
I just changed my food diary settings so that I could see how much salt I am eating on a daily basis. What are some ways I can lower my salt intake? What is the "normal" amount of salt a 36 yo female should be eating in a days time. You can see my food diary for what has been eaten recently. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and I ignore my sodium intake, so I have no idea what's normal. My BP is so low that I always worry when I donate blood that they're going to throw me out. I don't eat a lot of processed foods and rarely pick u the salt shaker to add any, so I suppose that helps.
  • CarmenS76
    Options
    i do not have high bp either (always has been in the good range) and do not add extra salt to my foods when I eat a meal. I may not need to be worried about my salt intake. I was just concerned when I saw my #s were really in the negative range on my food diary.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I think the CDC and FDA both agree not to go over 3000mg of sodium per day.

I exercise and sweat a lot so I actually ignore the sodium intake on exercise days, and try to stick to below 3000 on non-exercise days.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I never thought of the exercise aspect but I work out every day and also have the occasional hot flash. Maybe that's why I can ignore my sodium intake.
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    about 3500
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I found multiple suggestions for sodium intake...but one that was repeated several places was to keep sodium under 2300 mg per day. Exceptions: those with hypertension or over 51 should reduce it to 1500 per day. I split the difference, since I qualify for both, and set mine to 1800 but still try to keep it below 1500 most days. I agree if you do heavy exercise the number should probably be higher.
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I started looking at sodium when my weight shot up overnight. I found out I was using a dressing with crazy sodium. The other day I ate out for two meals. I was under calories but the sodium was through the roof. It makes you think about what you put in your body.

Other than that, I have heard there is new concern about people not getting enough iodine bc we eat so much sea salt and the like.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I carefully watch my sodium, I am typically under 1000 but sometimes a bit over but never over 1500.
  • Vness813
    Vness813 Posts: 24
    Options
    my sodium is always in the RED - I also have very low BP by heredity so I cannot cut it out of my diet or I have ill effects. I need to take it off of my diary - guess I didn't know I could do that! ;)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I think too many people worry too much about individual nutrients.

If you exercise a lot, you need a hefty dose of sodium (And potassium, and mangnesium, and calcium carbonate) as electrolytes. If you don't exercise a lot, you don't need as much.

For non-exercising folk, stop adding salt to things, and you're usually pretty good (Unless your doctor says otherwise). For exercising folk, you need to allow you body to tell you when you need more sodium.
  • SavingSarah41
    SavingSarah41 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Mine is always in the red but I try to not let it go over drastically. It is not for my sake that I watch it but for my husband. He suffers from kidney stones and his are caused by sodium. Last October he had to have 2 ports put in his back just so they could break them up and get them out. The stones he had in both kidneys were larger than a golf ball and because they were made from sodium they would not break up small enough to pass. I don't want to see him get in that shape again!!
  • CarmenS76
    Options
    thanks for the information guys. My "daily goal" is set to 2500 mg so according to this site and the goals I have set for myself and knowing that I don't have high bp etc, I guess I am ok as long as I stay under 2500mg. Thanks for your help.
  • lemonsquare6
    Options
    I am very sensitive to sodium intake and find even 2500 mg is too much! I would stick to 1000 mg and to take in the salt that comes naturally in your food, not additionally. There is sodium in so much of what we eat. If you can avoid adding sodium induced sauces and the latter it is the best way to go. Soon you will notice the flavours of the food alone are just as amazing. I find sodium to be quite addictive and makes me crave more. Once you get off any sodium you will find food to be too salty - especially if you ever eat out anywhere.