Why are you a vegetarian?

Options

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    It was caused from the carbs. pasta and so on. I get a headache everytime I get into this conversation when it comes to eating meat or not eating meat.

I have researched them and have tried them both over the years. I am just sick of eating meat and tired of the taste and so on. I have done better on a vegetarian type diet. But that can change over time who knows.

I have read stories how a guy had cancer and started eating raw meat and cured his cancer and have heard the same thing as far as eating just veggies and fruit. Its always going to be a battle between the two types of diets. and as far as getting fat from meat never happened its when I mixed it with the carbs back in the day.

n=1 and he doesn't know how his body responded.

What have you researched? there is no research to prove it.
    Diabetes is caused due to insulin resistance and being obese is a simple cause for it.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love animals - they’re delicious

I do love animals as pets too, but God gave to us to eat.

Some people think plants have feeling too, but i eat them too.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I'm confused. Why should be treat each individual animal we consume with all that love and respect if they're just born to be on our plates anyway? The logic there...it doesn't add up.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    i've been vegetarian / pescetarian for 15 years, and after a while you get tired of being asked this question, along with the follow up, "where do you get your protein?"

I get that vegetarian / pescetarian diets arn't the norm, but have any of you who have asked that question asked yourselves the question "why do you eat meat?"

I get that people are curious, but every now and then theres someone who just cant understand not eating meat. its really simple, you just don't put it in your mouth and chew. you also dont put it in your mouth and suck it, infact you don't put it in your mouth at all. I get that they don't understand, but its a simple concept, so I fail to understand why they don't understand.

I understand why people eat meat, and in the future I may join them but:

industrially processed meat is full of antibiotics, high levels of bacteria from poor sanitation conditions, and has a high chance of being tainted by animal feces due to the production line methods of processing the animals.

meat itself is not unhealthy. the industrial system that is being used in farming and processing, where economy is the driving force over all else is the problem.

If I did eat meat I'd want to know where it came from, I live in new zealand (some of the time.... not that much in the last 6 years lol) and here the local butcher got his meat unprocessed from local farms, and infact can tell you where it came from.

do you know where your meat came from? the processes it went through? no? well... why are you asking me questions about my lifestyle when you don't have any knowledge about yours.

if you think im talking BS
    how do you explain the side of horse meat that tainted the crap out of meat in europe a few months ago?

they studied the meat afterwards, and in processed "beef" there was chicken, ham and horse meat. im sure horse meat tastes good, but still thats pretty messed up.

do you know how it happened? because the processing plants didn't clean the line between the different meat runs. you know why they didn't do that? you have higher production that way, and also because they are lazy.

they don't care about making a good or healthy product, and this meat was all over tesco shelves in the UK and other places. the whole industry was contaminated with these bad practices. so for how long were people eating beef chicken pork horse mince?

i don't have a problem with people eating meat, but lets not pretend industrial farming is a good thing for the health of the planet, or for humanity itself. as I posted before:

if we stopped seeing ourselves as countries but just as people, perhaps we could feed 800 million more.

"If all the grain currently fed to livestock in the United States were consumed directly by people, the number of people who could be fed would be nearly 800 million," David Pimentel, professor of ecology in Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, reported at the July 24-26 meeting of the Canadian Society of Animal Science in Montreal. Or, if those grains were exported, it would boost the U.S. trade balance by $80 billion a year, Pimentel estimated.

With only grass-fed livestock, individual Americans would still get more than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of meat and dairy protein, according to Pimentel's report, "Livestock Production: Energy Inputs and the Environment."

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/1997/08/us-could-feed-800-million-people-grain-livestock-eat

im pescatarian because yum cha is awesome. I don't eat the rest cause I don't have to. I dont think meat is gross, I don't have a problem with people eating meat, humans, since we came out of the cave have kept animals and eaten them BUT:

animals should be treated with respect, you should only eat something that you are willing to kill yourself, and the production of meat should be about quality above all.
  • Biitchstix
    Biitchstix Posts: 41
    Options
    I don't agree with the meat industry as a whole and the unfair way that animals are treated. Although I have no problem with people who choose to hunt for their own food or raise their own animals naturally and humanely I don't personally plan on doing any of that myself so I'd rather just not eat meat. Not eating meat also help me avoid a TON of fast food. :)
  • usmc01462
    usmc01462 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    and what do you call obese? the FDA recommendations? I was 6ft 225 8% bodyfat how is that obese? LMAO
  • niightwindz
    niightwindz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a serious question here for anyone with a better knowledge of this than me.

A friend of mine recently went vegan and has been sending me links to heartbreaking videos & articles from PETA. I've heard a lot of crap about PETA in the past so I doubt the truth of a lot of the things they post. Can anyone give me a bit more information on this? Is it really as bad as hardcore vegans claim? Is eating meat bad for your body? I want to be healthy - does that mean cutting out meat and animal products?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqYYXswono

eating meat is not bad for your body. Everyone needs to consume a well balanced diet.
    Eating animals =/= cruelty
    making them suffer = animal cruelty
    animal products have neuroprotective and cardiological protective benefits

Thanks for the reply and the video link! I'm watching it right now, I appreciate it.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    and what do you call obese? the FDA recommendations? I was 6ft 225 8% bodyfat how is that obese? LMAO

6 ft 225 at 8%?
    please

and you have 62 lbs to lose? you didn't keep anything under control
  • usmc01462
    Options
    Yes 225 8% bodyfat was 4 years ago when I was bodybuilding However I developed a blood clot disorder and spent many weeks in and out of the hospital. The last blood clot I had was in my head and almost eneded everything So I took time off from the gym which led to weight gain. Its a pain in the *kitten* diet due to the medication with the diabetes You have to watch your carbs to keep from insulin spikes and being on blood thinners you have to watch your vitimin K, try to balance this type of diet Its not exactly easy.
  • usmc01462
    Options
    Blood clot disorder was caused from legal prohormes...Another lesson learned. which was from a product called superdrol.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I cut into a steak and think, "I am eating another animal's muscle." And I get a little grossed out. And then I think, "Mmm, steak."
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    PETA

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

My sis was a vegetarian since as a kid she did not like the idea of eating a pretty animal. She eats meat now that she is gluten intolerant and options are low. My step mom was raised that way, so that is all she is knows. She is basically gone vegan because she is crazy. She is like 5'10 140 lbs and says she is fat..... so she went vegan to cut out eggs and cheese.
    My Vegan friend is also crazy. Coincidence?

From that point of view, we vegans/vegetarians would view meat-eaters as crazy...
    I say - to each, their own. I have been raised a vegetarian. Grew up in a community full of vegetarians. But never considered non-vegetarian people crazy just because they were not like me. Many healthy-weight-range non-vegetarians too are obsessed with their weight....
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Blood clot disorder was caused from legal prohormes...Another lesson learned. which was from a product called superdrol.

so there was more to it than simple animal products. You took a product that you couldn't run a PCT on and it messed with your hormones and could have shot your endocrine system

There are so many variables about why you could have had diabetes it isn't funny.

I am not here to bash you because we have all made regrets in life that we can never take back. I just want you to be aware that I am prone for diabetes and I have seen the studies about prevention. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to take a higher amount of protein as long as it doesn't hit a certain number and cause gluconeogenesis.

but there were multiple factors about why you got diabetes. I would hardly pin it on meat and pasta
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a family that raised livestock. If you don't want to eat meat/dairy/eggs..etc.. good for you.

Just please for the love of god don't try to "coerce" me to join your lifestyle. I have a vegan friend and he will go on and on and on forever about every damn injustice he can find, and every "replacement" for meat he has come across.....

I do find it very interesting that people don't want to eat meat, but they will spend countless hours trying to find just the right imitation meat so they feel like they are once again eating it.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I do, however, eat birds, because...honestly...birds are *kitten*.

That made me snort
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    2. Eating meat is not ecologically sustainable. Farmed animals consume loads of water, crops, antibiotics, etc. There is food for everyone on the planet, we just consume 5 times more by eating meat than by eating the crops directly.

What about those who hunt and eat wild game? Just curious :)

thats all a bit frivolous don't you think?

what percentage do you think wild game hunters would make up of the world consumption of meat products?

but its ok, I know your just trying to be annoying right? yah.

It was a simple question, not meant to be annoying at all. Most of the meat consumed in my house growing up was venison. My family is huge on hunting. Almost all the men in my family hunt and fish, and my brothers are both farmers.
    The piece I quoted specifically mentioned farmed animals, so I was curious what the poster thought of people like my family. Way to attack someone who came here in peace.
    Would it make you feel better if I told you that 90% of the meat I consume is poultry, and that I was a vegetarian for a year but couldn't sustain it because I craved chicken too much? :ohwell:
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mammals, because I'm a mammal, and it feels wrong to me. I do, however, eat birds, because...honestly...birds are *kitten*.
    Not that I'd eat him, but I feel that way when my Quaker parrot takes a chunk out of my finger. And he eats chicken and turkey, so he's a stinkin' little cannibal too. No vegetarianism for him.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    Not really. Lack of B12 found only in animal products will eventually progress to neurological issues.
    [/quote]

---Actually, you can't find B12 in animal products either except for the fact that the animals eat plants (unwashed) and pick up the B12 from dirt. Before humans started washing their produce, we got our B12 the same way. As a vegan, I'd rather take a supplement than eat dirt.

To the OP, in answer to your question, watch Earthlings on youtube or Forks Over Knives (for starters). There are lots of reasons to go veg, not the least of which is your health and the health of Planet Earth. It takes 13 lbs of grain to raise 1 lb of beef- imagine how many people we could feed if the elite (meateaters) let that grain go to the hungry? The single greatest cause of global warming is the methane gas produced by cattle. The runoff from meat and dairy farms is polluting the water supply. I could go on and on, but seriously, watch those documentaries and more to get you started.
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do, however, eat birds, because...honestly...birds are *kitten*.

That made me snort

****in a right they are! My neighbor has cocky as$ chickens, those feathered ****ers I HATE them, i cant do anything in my yard when they are out they attack me! Whenever im burning boxes i silently hope one will wander into the pit....
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    Not really. Lack of B12 found only in animal products will eventually progress to neurological issues.
    [/quote]

---Actually, you can't find B12 in animal products either except for the fact that the animals eat plants (unwashed) and pick up the B12 from dirt. Before humans started washing their produce, we got our B12 the same way. As a vegan, I'd rather take a supplement than eat dirt.

To the OP, in answer to your question, watch Earthlings on youtube or Forks Over Knives (for starters). There are lots of reasons to go veg, not the least of which is your health and the health of Planet Earth. It takes 13 lbs of grain to raise 1 lb of beef- imagine how many people we could feed if the elite (meateaters) let that grain go to the hungry? The single greatest cause of global warming is the methane gas produced by cattle. The runoff from meat and dairy farms is polluting the water supply. I could go on and on, but seriously, watch those documentaries and more to get you started.
    [/quote]

To add to what you are saying, as I mentioned I was raised in a vegetarian community. I am an Indian and my family, extended family, husband's family - and many more such families within India have been vegetarians for generations. I am likely to conclude - forever. So far, there haven't been ANY neurological issues. We do not have any sort of health issues due to vegetarianism. Yes, I will admit, that many vegetarians eat lot of carbs. But thats because they are habituated to it and not because there aren't proteins within this diet. Nevertheless, I must say that even though my family's diet has been revolving around carbs - something that I am in the process of changing - there haven't been major issues so far. Older generations didnt even know about these essential micronutrients and vitamins.... what our generation knows...I don't claim to be a knowledgeable person in the area of nutrition, but I am just stating the facts..
    I believe these vitamin deficiencies etc probably are happening mostly because of inadequate research on the subject before converting into a vegetarian... or probably because their body was conditioned to non-vegetarian way of living and functioned expecting that lifestyle to continue...