Aldi's is owned by Trader Joe's!

3171kelly
3171kelly Posts: 20 Member
We have an Aldi's in our area and I just found out it is owned by Trader Joe's!
I love getting fresh fruit and fit and active things there for reasonable Try one out if you have one around. The cereals are also made by General Mills ( hence the name Millville)

Replies

• LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Plus when you are broke that place is the BOMB
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    and I give anyone and everyone the permission to kick me hard right in the shins if I ever say the bomb in person!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    and I give anyone and everyone the permission to kick me hard right in the shins if I ever say the bomb in person!

I'll kick you in the shins if you DON'T say "The bomb" in person.
  • Jetta1492
    Jetta1492 Posts: 47 Member
    Yeah I read that somewhere too. Actually, the article said that Trader Joe's is owned by a different division of Aldi's parent company. It also said that in Adli's stores overseas they sell Trader Joe's branded items!
  • coresoaper
    coresoaper Posts: 1 Member
    hey I didn't know trader joes owned aldi,.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    I love Aldi's. I agree, the Fit and Active stuff is great! I love their whole wheat thin spaghetti, if I am making pasta normally everyone complains about the whole wheat that I use. HOwever, with these noodles you canNOT tell that they are whole wheat. Also, the fresh fruits and veggies are soooo much better priced. My only complaint is that my local Aldi's does not carry many frozen veggies, which are something I buy a lot of. From Aldi's, I can only get green beans or brocolli, wish they carried more variety in those!

PS_ If you haven't yet, try their hummus!! The tomato basil is sooooo delish!! :love:
  • tokimaromi
    tokimaromi Posts: 14
    i absolutely love aldi. i've never shopped a trader joe's or even have one around me but i get all my fruits and veggies for cheap there. it's also a really fun place to shop but i have to put my blinders on sometimes since my sweet tooth can get me in trouble
  • shiznick9
    shiznick9 Posts: 1 Member
    I don't know of any other place that has 1 pound of fresh strawberries regularly priced at $1.19. I love ALDI!!!!
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Aldi has the Little Garden Salad Hummus that is only 40 cals for 2 tablespoons. Stuff is amazing. I love Aldi (and Trader Joe's too!)
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    Not healthy but all of their crackers and cookies..such as cheez, fudge striped etc are made at the same factory as Keebler. My husband worked there as a temp in his younger years and said they just changed the wrappers on the outside.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    I've never been to Aldi's but I freakin' love Trader Joes! So much great, healthy stuff for such reasonable prices.

Not to hijack the thread, but they opened a TJ's near me that had a long-time Safeway store across the street. As of last weekend, the Safeway closed it's doors. Such is the power of TJ's.
  • I LOVE Aldi. You get so much for your money!:wink:
  • bill323
    bill323 Posts: 100
    I love Aldi. There is one not too far from me and I always avoided it because of the stigma of it being for broke folk. What turned me was being at my sisters house and having a glass of the Aldi chocolate milk. It is thee best chocolate milk evar.

Their Raisin Bran is also fanflippintastic too. The ice cream is cheap as all get out as well.

Funny thing is when I go do Aldi I spend between $30-$40 and get a decent cart load, when I go to Costco I get three things and its $50 LOL.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    We have an Aldi's in our area and I just found out it is owned by Trader Joe's!
    I love getting fresh fruit and fit and active things there for reasonable Try one out if you have one around. The cereals are also made by General Mills ( hence the name Millville)

No, they are not owned by the same company. The 2 brothers merely opened two different stores. I have asked about this rumor and one brother owns Aldi and the other brother owns Trader Joe's.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Trader Joe's does NOT sell genetically modified foods..............Aldi's does as they get many mainstream American companies to manufacture their products.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Produce in my local Aldi's is DISGUSTING. I hope yours is better. It just makes me sad to hear that it is related to Trader Joe's since I think they are good.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    It is the same company. The Albrecht family is the wealthiest in Germany. This article talks about the death of the brother, but the history of the company is a couple paragraphs down.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kerryadolan/2012/12/07/german-billionaire-berthold-albrecht-heir-to-aldi-markets-and-trader-joes-dead-at-age-58/
  • LadyWolf66
    LadyWolf66 Posts: 24 Member
    If that's true, that might explain why both stores have opened in my area recently. Neither one of them were anywhere near here a year or two ago.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    I grew up in a small town with an Aldi, and it wasn't a nice store at all. But the new stores they are building around me are GREAT!
    I do a lot of my shopping there.

Yesterday I bought a bag of the frozen pretzel rolls. (Lean ham & reduced fat swiss cheese on a pretzel roll under the broiler is awesome!) Anyway, I used the MFP barcode scanner to scan the bag of pretzel rolls. They come up with the barcode as "Sister Schubert pretzel rolls." Doesn't surprise me - the bag looks the same as the Sister Schubert rolls, just different name brand - and about $2.00 cheaper for the bag.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    It's a little weird how both stores back home opened up around the same time..