Am I supposed to eat back calories burned?

Options
kckBxer396
kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
Some days, I have a difficult time reaching my calorie goal. Sometimes, I come close,but I burn calories and end up 400-900 calories short. Am I supposed to replenish the calories that I burn off? It seems counter productive to me,but if I were a nutrition expert, I probably wouldn't need to drop 50 pounds in the first place. Geez...this is so confusing.

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you're following MFP's plan. Some people feel, though, that MFP overestimates calories burned and therefore eat a fraction of them back. The most common fraction is 1/2, from what I have seen people say.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. =)
  • Suffer4beauty
    Suffer4beauty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try to burn a minimum of 300 calories a day, and sometimes a lot more! I keep track of calories burned using my Ft4 HRM (pretty accurate, I entered my age/height/heart rate for an activity and the duration into "calories burned" equations on fitness websites and very similar results for calories burned) - so I know that the calories are not too over or underestimated. My calorie goal is 1,200. I tend to eat back 100 to 200 calories of the exercise calories. I don't eat them all back just in case I underestimated some of the calories of food (like if I actually had 1.2 servings instead of 1 of something). I do intentionally eat back at least 100 calories just in case I under-estimated my calories - I like to make sure I get enough nutrition and calories to build muscle. I may eat all of them back if it is a special day or if I am feeling weak (your body needs a certain amount of calories to get stronger/build muscle). Listen to your body. Eat to strengthen, hold off on eating all of them if you feel good and you are seeing improvement in your strength despite the calorie shortage.
  • cwilliams080676
    cwilliams080676 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't but I follow the eat more to lose weight method using my tdee