Fitbit Zip vs. Fitbit One (or the Flex for that matter)

Options
I am recovering from surgery so easing back into exercise slowly. Unfortunately I've gained about 15-20 lbs since the surgery and I attempted to just count calories to lose the weight but I was starving. Now that I can exercise a little bit I'm wondering if there might be something to help me keep track of everything. I have 3 preschool age children so I'm wondering how many calories I actually burn running after them/playing with them, etc... LOL but also for working out. From what I've read it will do that and I'd probably get more use out of it than a HRM. I don't really need my sleep monitored. I don't see a massive difference. LOL What are your opinions between the 2 or 3? I don't want to spend more than I need to but I want something that is good. Know what I mean?

Replies

• alanbarta
    alanbarta Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit One about ten days ago and have been using it constantly since then. I got the One because it also monitors sleep. I wanted a Flex but everyplace said they were on backorder for up to 10 weeks.
  • ADixie4You2Know
    ADixie4You2Know Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a fit bit ultra. Got it about a year ago. I use the fitbit during the day to track steps but i use a heart rate monitor(polar ft7) while exercising to get my calories burned. I love them both. You can get the hrm at amazon for around $60 and you may want to check out the fit bit zip its less expencive if you dont want the sleep monitor.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I got a Zip in April. I don't need to have my sleep tracked or measure climbing stairs. The Zip shows: time of day, steps, distance in miles, calories burned. It runs on battery. You can sync to MFP which I just did yesterday. It's a simple tool.
    The One tracks sleep & stairs. It runs on a rechargeable battery. You can also sync to MFP.

I'm sure there are other differences that people who have a One can tell you about. The Zip cost $59.99. I bought it online at Walgreens & they had a $10 off promotion at the time. The One is $99.99.

The Zip is easy enough for me to handle & it meets my needs. The One has more information. That's my personal opinion. Hope this helps.
  • heytherelameman
    heytherelameman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this thread, I was just considering getting one of those... Here's what I've seen from my research:

Fitbit Zip
    $59.95
    Pros: Super simple and economical. Syncs via bluetooth and wifi. Plays well with MFP and other apps. Has built-in display.
    Cons: Does not monitor sleep. Not waterproof. Limited.

Fitbit One
    $99.95
    Pros: Clips onto you during the day and monitors activity. Put it in a wristband at night and it will monitor sleep. Syncs via bluetooth and wifi. Plays well with MFP and other apps. Has built-in display.
    Cons: Not waterproof.

Fitbit Flex
    $99.95
    Pros: Worn on the wrist. Monitors sleep and activity. Syncs via bluetooth and wifi. Plays well with MFP and other apps. Waterproof/resistant (can be worn in shower). Extra colors of bands can be bought for it.
    Cons: Has lights on it, but no real display.

Jawbone UP
    $130
    Pros: Worn on the wrist. Monitors sleep and activity. Plays well with MFP and other apps. Waterproof/resistant (can be worn in shower). Has 'catnap' function to give you a short nap. All have alarm function, but this one will wake you up when it is close to the time and optimal for your body to be rested.
    Cons: Syncs via USB. Price (obviously). Has no display. Many reviews say it has died on them, which makes me scared.

For the wristband-capable ones, which is what I want, I have heard mixed reviews about their ability to measure true sleep and steps. I wish I could try before I buy!
  • LMW1015
    LMW1015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your feedback!! :-) I think I'll go with the Zip and when I can really start working out I'll feel more comfortable spending the money on a HRM as well at that point. ;-)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    The Bodymedia Fit is more accurate. Do a search for comments on that
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Skip the Zip - I hate it. Had the Ultra for year and when it went swimming (and died) I had the choice of the One or 2 Zips with a $20 discount coupon. DH thought he wanted to try it so we got the 2 Zips. My results have been -
    1. Zip is not tracking near as accurately as the Ultra. I measured and tracked my steps and Zip was way off
    2. Zip does not have stair tracking, you may think this won't matter but it will
    3. The battery and casing for the Zip are a major pain
    4. DH' s Zip quit after about 45 days, somehow the back of the ZiP with the casing moved so the battery did not engage.

Spend the extra and get the One, I'll be going back for that soon.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have the One! Haven't used it yet as it wont wake up but I'm still excited.
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have had the Zip for a month, and I love it! Its currently on sale at Target
  • whyhelloheart
    whyhelloheart Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've had a FitBit since they first came out many years ago. Right now I have the FitBit Ultra and I really only use it to track my distance for the day. I find that the calories are really far off because it isn't taking into account my heart rate or my exertion. If I'm sitting down cycling, it just thinks I am sitting down and not moving my legs.

If you are really looking to count calories, I would recommend a heart rate monitor that you strap on. That is the most accurate way to keep track of how many calories you've burned throughout the day. :)
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    Options
    I have had the Flex since it's release, it's my first Fitbit. I love it, I wear it 24/7 minus charging it. I know there's a lot of criticism about the lack of display but it syncs every few minutes to the app on my phone or my computer and I'm usually not far from either. I thought about the One, but I can't see constantly taking it out of my bra to check the display.

You set a goal, I use the steps one and the lights on the display show the percentage you're at in obtaining it. It doesn't track stairs, but for me that wasn't important. I use the sleep tracker feature and I love the alarm. It vibrates to wake you up and you feel it, even if your arm is jammed under the pillow and your head.

I've synced it to MFP as well.

All in all, I'm a fan and glad of the purchase.
  • mblewis13
    mblewis13 Posts: 37
    Options
    I have used the One for almost a year. I love it!! It has been quite accurate for me to get a real count of burned calories and sync to MyFitnessPall, so I have been able to loose weight in the beginning and now maintain weight VERY easily. I wear mine all the time and have inspired several people to get themselves a FitBit and use MyFitnessPall. Our whole neighborhood is getting fit!!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    We have the fitbit and love it. When they break we will be upgrading to the flex for the simple reason that we forget them when change clothes sometimes. By having the flex, you really never need to take it off and it will be harder to lose, as my husband has lost his a couple of times because he wears it on his jeans pocket. I wear mine on my bra so I forget from time to time to take it off my running bra and put it on my regular bra after a shower.

After you get used to your fitbit, forgetting it or leaving it somewhere will be devastating. I have actually pulled into the grocery store, realized I forgot my fitbit and drove back home to get it and then BACK to the grocery.

My name is Lesa and I am a fitbitaholic.
  • TinyChestnut
    Options
    I bought a Fitbit One last week and I love it. The flex is back ordered every where I tried to find one. So the one it was, I absolutely love it. I don't have to wear it on my wrist, and as a nurse that makes me happy. I don't need anything else to get germs on it. The one is small, and sleek and from what I understand much easier to incorporate into your clothes. I haven't been this motivated in a long time, and I love seeing my progress and success with this thing!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I have the zip and I love it in every way EXCEPT it seems to way underestimate my calories burned. It estimates 100-200 calories less per day than MFP, and I know MFP is correct because it's always been spot on with my weight loss. I'm the only one I know of who has had this problem, though. I'm not sure if the One would work any better.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    As the Zip doesn't measure sleep, I don't believe you can set it to track a specific activity either (start/stop and check the exact stats for just that time frame) ... I do really like that feature! A lot of people have said they don't think they "need" the sleep function, but then they end up using it and enjoy having that data on hand.

My older boys suddenly got the urge to track their activity so we splurged. I was just going to get a zip for my 14 year old, but I'm glad we paid the extra for the One. The stairs, the rechargeable battery and the timer/sleep are worth the extra $$ to me.
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have had a Fitbit Zip since May of this year and love it! When it dies, which I hope will not be soon. I would like to upgrade to the Fitbit One. I am also looking for friends to add to my Fitbit Dashboard, however I have not yet figured out how to accomplish that. I would love to encourage and support you as you work towards your fitness goals. I love how it syncs to MFP, as this site is amazing couldn't have lost the weight I have without this site and love the encouragement my fitbit gives me.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have the zip and love it. I was hesitant in getting the wrist ones as read they sometimes monitor when you move your arms. I also like the fact that you can see the data on the screen of the fitbit and don't have to go to the app to see where it is up to. I really only use it for tracking steps and calories so don't need any of the more advanced features the others offer