Reaching a BIG goal.

Options
Fragilebird24
Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
I have a large and possibly unrealistic goal that I have my eyes set on. In December, I'll be going to Disney World for my very first time with my best friend (who has been there 9 times) and I really would love to lose, oh I don't know, like fifty pounds by then... eek. Now, I know this post will most likely attract the usual "MFP is for people trying to lose weight the healthy way" or "It took a while to put on, it will take a while to take off." I completely understand these comments. HOWEVER, I would like to know if anyone out there has achieved a similar a goal in five months. Let me add that I currently weigh 204 pounds, eating very unhealthy, and pretty sedentary. I HAVE lost weight before, so I know that I can do it. I know what I need to do to lose the weight, I just need to stay motivated. So, does anyone out there believe this is doable? Or am I way over my head?

Replies

• pkbryant28
    pkbryant28 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think it is very doable and you can do it in a healthy way. They say 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy weight loss, well if you have 6 months you will need to lose 2.09 per week. (Hope I figured that correctly) But in reality you really only have about 5 months being that it is already several days into June so you may not be able to reach 50 pounds, but I see no reason that with a healthy diet and increased physical activity and true determination that you would not be able to lose around 40 pounds before your trip.

I also have a trip planned in December (cruise) and I am determined to lose 45 pounds before my trip. (I started my weight loss journey the 1st of May.) An incentive that I have done for me to help me is my daughter painted a mason jar for me that has a cruise ship, the word "Winner" with money signs around it, a scale going down, and empty hangers on it. For every pound I lose, I put $10 in the my jar and right before my cruise I get to go shopping for a new clothes for my trip. Now shopping is my favorite activity so the shopping money is a reward for me and it motivates me, pick you motivation and do something to reward yourself along your weight loss journey. It helps keep me on tract, I get excited every week to see how much money I get to put in my jar. So far I have $110, whoo hoo!

Here is my jar...
    2f421b70-4a3a-425e-b180-43d537ed93f3.jpg
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Losing anything before then will make you feel great, and I don't think that your goal is too unrealistic. It won't be easy to stay motivated for all that time, as sometimes life can slow you down, but it's certainly do-able. I lost about 14 lbs before 'really' kick starting my journey a week before christmas. I've lost around 50 lbs in 6 months and it's not been very difficult. I did however start our at 288lbs so that probably helped me lose weight a little quicker.

You can do it or pretty darn close to it. Good luck in your journey and enjoy your holiday when it arrives :flowerforyou:
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My first weight loss mini goal was to lose 30 pounds by my WDW trip last November...the day I left I had hit 30 pounds exactly :smile:

I would say 50 might be a bit ambitious, but with that much to lose and great dedication I would think you can get very close. Even if you lost 35, 40 or 42 you will be so much happier and able to enjoy your time if you do nothing, so go for it!

Also I would start walking A LOT, we "practiced" for Disney as a family walking nearly daily which helped me lose weight and our stamina for long days much better. We averaged 7 miles a day while in the parks, and some days over 10 miles, so walking a lot to get ready I think is a great idea, we have a 7 year old and it helped her too, we had no cranky fits at the end of the day when many younger ones are wailing and whining :laugh:

I go to WDW again in September, my goal is to be down 65 pounds by then, and again this summer we will be "practicing" for Disney. Enjoy the planning and losing to get the most out of your trip!
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It's ideal to have a larger long-term goal with many short-term goals in between. You want to lose...say 50 lbs...make a short-term goal of 10 lbs each month. After 5 months, you'll hopefully reach your goal. :-) I knew my ultimate goal was to lose about 90-100 lbs, but I didn't set short-term goals...I just knew this wouldn't happen over night....I didn't put the weight on over night. I'm happy to say that over 3 months, I've lost 35 lbs..and I'm still going!!! :-) All the best!
  • comgen
    comgen Posts: 2
    Options
    I believe it is do-able, you need to believe it. It really means "changing" your entire life in a moment, for many moments for the rest of your life. Fighting the urge to eat, all the unhealthy things, fighting the Lazy attitude, where you don't work out. You have to mean it, in your heart. And ask for help all of the time. Good luck to you, it is a battle worth fighting. You are fighting for yourself and your health.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think it is very doable and you can do it in a healthy way. They say 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy weight loss, well if you have 6 months you will need to lose 2.09 per week. (Hope I figured that correctly) But in reality you really only have about 5 months being that it is already several days into June so you may not be able to reach 50 pounds, but I see no reason that with a healthy diet and increased physical activity and true determination that you would not be able to lose around 40 pounds before your trip.

I also have a trip planned in December (cruise) and I am determined to lose 45 pounds before my trip. (I started my weight loss journey the 1st of May.) An incentive that I have done for me to help me is my daughter painted a mason jar for me that has a cruise ship, the word "Winner" with money signs around it, a scale going down, and empty hangers on it. For every pound I lose, I put $10 in the my jar and right before my cruise I get to go shopping for a new clothes for my trip. Now shopping is my favorite activity so the shopping money is a reward for me and it motivates me, pick you motivation and do something to reward yourself along your weight loss journey. It helps keep me on tract, I get excited every week to see how much money I get to put in my jar. So far I have $110, whoo hoo!

Here is my jar...
    2f421b70-4a3a-425e-b180-43d537ed93f3.jpg

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! B/4 I read what you're doing, I thought the jars may have contained money you wanted to maybe spend on food you didn't need...which would work too! Keep up the great work!
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I also think 40 pounds is very doable. I love the mason jar idea and here is another.
    There is a new motivational group, move miles to lose pounds. Look up the distance
    between your home and Disney World. Start your exercise plan and walk, bike, swim,
    whatever you want to do, give yourself a certain amount of miles per time exercised.
    Log each time, and mentally start your trip to Florida. I've already been motivated to
    swim over 400 miles in laps. I'll be happy to send you an invitation to the group.
    Good Luck, you CAN do it and enjoy your trip. I love Disney World especially Epcot.
    Best of luck.
    Linda
  • pkbryant28
    Options
    I also think 40 pounds is very doable. I love the mason jar idea and here is another.
    There is a new motivational group, move miles to lose pounds. Look up the distance
    between your home and Disney World. Start your exercise plan and walk, bike, swim,
    whatever you want to do, give yourself a certain amount of miles per time exercised.
    Log each time, and mentally start your trip to Florida. I've already been motivated to
    swim over 400 miles in laps. I'll be happy to send you an invitation to the group.
    Good Luck, you CAN do it and enjoy your trip. I love Disney World especially Epcot.
    Best of luck.
    Linda

I like that idea too, wonder how many miles I would have to walk to Jamaica (if there were a land mass to do so)? I will find out and I better get to walking cause I have feeling it is going to be a ways!
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have a large and possibly unrealistic goal that I have my eyes set on. In December, I'll be going to Disney World for my very first time with my best friend (who has been there 9 times) and I really would love to lose, oh I don't know, like fifty pounds by then... eek. Now, I know this post will most likely attract the usual "MFP is for people trying to lose weight the healthy way" or "It took a while to put on, it will take a while to take off." I completely understand these comments. HOWEVER, I would like to know if anyone out there has achieved a similar a goal in five months. Let me add that I currently weigh 204 pounds, eating very unhealthy, and pretty sedentary. I HAVE lost weight before, so I know that I can do it. I know what I need to do to lose the weight, I just need to stay motivated. So, does anyone out there believe this is doable? Or am I way over my head?

I started in February at 204 exactly....I'm 173 today so 31 lbs in less than 4 months so no matter what weight you reach when you go you'll be thrilled to be healthier and weigh less. Three things you MUST do is eat healthy, stay within your calorie range with that healthy food, and exercise. It will come off if you change your diet and exercise.....it really will :)
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Best of luck.
    Linda

I like that idea too, wonder how many miles I would have to walk to Jamaica (if there were a land mass to do so)? I will find out and I better get to walking cause I have feeling it is going to be a ways!

I just checked for you, it's 1146.3 miles from your hometown to Jamaica. I give myself a mile per minute since I swim and have water resistance. How would you like to join our group and chat with everyone as you travel!!
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    50 pounds in 5 months is doable, but it's pushing what's healthy to do.

December 2 is 25 weeks from today. 50#/25 weeks = 2.0 #/week

Get your weight and measurements into MFP and I would suggest you update them monthly.

Take your calorie allotment and go to www.MyPlate.Gov to get an idea of how you should use those calories.

Make a habit of logging each meal as soon as you can after eating. Use the Recipe feature for home cooking.

Start getting some exercise. Go for a walk in the morning. Use the stairs instead of the elevator. Get active, more is better.

Log your exercise as well and plan to "eat back" about 75% of those calories.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

You can do it. It's going to be rough hitting the ground running if you're coming from a standing start, but you CAN do it!
  • pkbryant28
    Options
    Best of luck.
    Linda

I just checked for you, it's 1146.3 miles from your hometown to Jamaica. I give myself a mile per minute since I swim and have water resistance. How would you like to join our group and chat with everyone as you travel!!

I would love to join the group.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm in!

I have reservations at Disney World for Dec 8.
    Last time I was there was maybe 6-7 years ago, haven't had any vacation in 5 years due to staying at home to take care of an elderly parent.
    Now is my time to shine and I plan to hit 200lbs or less by the time I get there.
    Currently at 252, so only 52 more to go.
    I'm not having any problems with food and on top of that I just started C25K training (did it successfully last year).
    I WILL run a 5K on Sept 7 this year, and I will continue my running to help me reach my goal for my Disney trip.
  • bawalker11
    bawalker11 Posts: 78
    Options
    For every pound I lose, I put $10 in the my jar and right before my cruise I get to go shopping for a new clothes for my trip.

I Love this idea!
  • bawalker11
    bawalker11 Posts: 78
    Options
    And to the original poster you can totally do this!! Good luck and have an awesome time at Disney!!
  • ladyoflb
    ladyoflb Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Totally do-able! My best piece of advise is to not get discouraged when you hit a plateau. Just keep going!!!!!:) I lost about 32 pounds in 3 months (I wasn't starving myself, working out too much it was very healthy) but then the scale wouldn't budge, for almost a month! But then, one day, it did again, and I couldn't be happier.

Also, I agree with those that said no matter how much weight you lose, you will be THRILLED to be a smaller pant size or lower weight, you will feel better, you will look better.

Good luck and have a great time on your vacation!!:):)
  • saradunne735
    saradunne735 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I decided to be healthy in the beginning of December 2012, after putting on a TON of weight with my pregnancy. (My son was born in August - miserable for a few months cuz I was so heavy). I lost 50 + lbs from December to May. I have since hit a plateau (got discouraged and lazy for awhile) but have found my vibe again and am looking to lose another 30-35. Get your butt in gear! Healthy eating and alternating exercises for at least an hour 6 days a week. You can do it if you put your mind to it! Its not unrealistic, and it wont be easy every day! Some weeks you might drop 4 lbs, and the next 0.5 lbs or nothing- Just stick with it!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I dropped the first 50 lbs in about six month by eating healthy and by eating proper portions at the direction of a dietician. It is absolutely doable, but if you're serious about it, you might want to consider getting a dietician involved. It helps to teach you how to eat, how much to eat, how to make balanced meals, and so on. Plus, it can help a lot having someone who looks at what you eat and can look you in the eyes and ask whether you think you ate right the last few days. Make sure you stay healthy.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I just need to stay motivated. So, does anyone out there believe this is doable? Or am I way over my head?

wrong. it's not about being motivated.

motivation is great, but many many days you won't be motivated. and you need the routine and habits in place to keep you going when you don't 'feel' like it.

What you need is a routine that you enjoy doing , and also works with your current schedule, while still not being a drastic change in your habits. if you're not used to workouts at all, work on doing something simple you enjoy, with minimal equipment.
    dancing, walking, hiking, or whatever it is you like to do. build up your habit a bit, do a little each day.

I follow a very basic workout schedule too:
    full body workout 3 x a week, with 2 cardio sessions.
    the cardio can be on the same day after the lifting workout, or on different days, and at least 1 full day of rest, bc my lifting workouts are very challenging. Don't underestimate rest. it's very important,
    it's when you rebuild your muscles. We're not super human, we build our muscle on rest days not in the gym for an hour.
    but most of the weight loss will be from deficit from your diet'. the workouts are for fitness.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    ^^ This ^^

A food routine, as well. You'll figure out what works for you, but it's important to not get so hungry that you eat anything you find. Make sure you always have good, healthy food available.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!