Why are you a vegetarian?

Options

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Meat is gross!
    Dairy is nasty!

I hate being worried about whether or not the meat is cooked or where it came from. Dairy is just not something I can stomach. Or eggs. Only thing I like is cheese.

I really enjoy the diet!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Dairy is nasty!
    Only thing I like is cheese.
    wat
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    My Vegan friend is also crazy. Coincidence?
    [/quote]
    Not really. Lack of B12 found only in animal products will eventually progress to neurological issues.
    ---Actually, you can't find B12 in animal products either except for the fact that the animals eat plants (unwashed) and pick up the B12 from dirt. Before humans started washing their produce, we got our B12 the same way. As a vegan, I'd rather take a supplement than eat dirt.
    To the OP, in answer to your question, watch Earthlings on youtube or Forks Over Knives (for starters). There are lots of reasons to go veg, not the least of which is your health and the health of Planet Earth. It takes 13 lbs of grain to raise 1 lb of beef- imagine how many people we could feed if the elite (meateaters) let that grain go to the hungry? The single greatest cause of global warming is the methane gas produced by cattle. The runoff from meat and dairy farms is polluting the water supply. I could go on and on, but seriously, watch those documentaries and more to get you started.

To add to what you are saying, as I mentioned I was raised in a vegetarian community. I am an Indian and my family, extended family, husband's family - and many more such families within India have been vegetarians for generations. I am likely to conclude - forever. So far, there haven't been ANY neurological issues. We do not have any sort of health issues due to vegetarianism. Yes, I will admit, that many vegetarians eat lot of carbs. But thats because they are habituated to it and not because there aren't proteins within this diet. Nevertheless, I must say that even though my family's diet has been revolving around carbs - something that I am in the process of changing - there haven't been major issues so far. Older generations didnt even know about these essential micronutrients and vitamins.... what our generation knows...I don't claim to be a knowledgeable person in the area of nutrition, but I am just stating the facts..
    I believe these vitamin deficiencies etc probably are happening mostly because of inadequate research on the subject before converting into a vegetarian... or probably because their body was conditioned to non-vegetarian way of living and functioned expecting that lifestyle to continue...

I never said that vegetarians suffer from neurological conditions due to lack of B12. Most vegetarians consume animal products in some form or fashion, be it from dairy or eggs. VEGANS always have a problem with B12, supplemented or not.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I was never a big meat eater. But, I did like it a lot, pepperoni, bacon, chicken, hamburgers, etc... But, most my meat eating was in small quantities, like the amount you would find on a pizza. So, when my youngest daughter was like I want to try to be a vegetarian I was like OK, but can we wait a few weeks cuz I am starting school at the same time you want to start this. And she was all like no now. So, I was like whatever and then we stopped eating meat. For about a month, she went back and I didn't. Then I learned a bit about factory farming and things like that and decided I was never going to eat meat again. I am not all that pleased about how we get eggs and dairy either, but I will have small amounts in my diet.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I used to hunt. I stopped killing for sport because it didn't seem that sporting. Then I stopped eating veal because it was cruel. Eventually, I realized that I couldn't justify killing something else because I like the way it tastes. Since I can live in perfect health without meat,that was what I needed to do. I limit my dairy because it's not terribly good for me (both based on studies I've seen and my own personal experiments with how I feel with and without dairy). I don't eat eggs often, but I make sure to get vegetarian-fed, free range eggs with good reviews from independent watchdog groups so as to not cause any needless suffering. I also try to make sure that the human workers are treated humanely (with vegetables and fruits as well), but data on that can be harder to come by.

Short version: it's better for me and I don't feel guilty about eating vegetables.
  • slw87
    slw87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ethical reasons, don't think animals should die for me to eat and don't like how they're treated. I don't preach to people about it though, it's a personal choice :)
  • linnaeus
    linnaeus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing posts that people are forcing their selves to become vegetarians although they don't really want to; that they're craving meat, but won't allow their selves to eat it! In that case, what's the point?

I find that slightly ironic on a fitness forum for dieters! We're all learning how to stop indulging ourselves in overeating and lethargy for the sake of better health and less suffering. Sometimes what's best for us, or our environment, or our planet doesn't feel comfortable in the beginning.

These days I feel GREAT exercising every day, instead of feeling like crap, and so grateful that I stuck out and continue to power through on those days where it's tough to get going. Similarly, I NEVER think about eating meat anymore. I'm grateful I live in an age and a society that can support my lifestyle with constantly available, fresh produce and supplements that meet my dietary needs.
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Totally unoriginal but I just don't see the how my life or my health is made any better by consuming a dead animal. I don't preach at other people, because it drives me mad when done to me. But I will defend myself if attacked for my choices.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    The way I see it:

You eat meat? Cool.

You don't eat meat? Cool.

2e5v6yq.gif
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't see why that's so strange for you... as a dieter, don't you sometimes crave cake, but know you shouldn't have it? Personally, I don't crave meat at all anymore, being vegetarian for most of my life. But I am a new vegan and sometimes I do want a piece of cheese pizza, but I avoid it because I know I don't want to support the milk industry.

As with any other lifestyle, it takes time to get used to. And the longer I stick to it, the less these foods appeal to me. I think this can make perfect sense for anyone who's done a lifestyle change, even if not for ethical reasons.
  • captain_reckless
    Options
    I'm an omnivor, because I like meat and vegies, if my friends dont want to eat meat or want to not eat things like pork, thats fine with me, I wont harp on about it or even mention it aside from an "O fair enough what every floats your boat" sort of thing when they tell me.

lets face it unless they are at my house for dinner or I theres it makes no difference, in most cases if I'm at their place for dinner I'll eat whats served no big deal, like all cooking some of there stuff is a pass some of it is fantastic
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    i've been vegetarian / pescetarian for 15 years, and after a while you get tired of being asked this question, along with the follow up, "where do you get your protein?"

I get that vegetarian / pescetarian diets arn't the norm, but have any of you who have asked that question asked yourselves the question "why do you eat meat?"

I get that people are curious, but every now and then theres someone who just cant understand not eating meat. its really simple, you just don't put it in your mouth and chew. you also dont put it in your mouth and suck it, infact you don't put it in your mouth at all. I get that they don't understand, but its a simple concept, so I fail to understand why they don't understand.

I understand why people eat meat, and in the future I may join them but:

industrially processed meat is full of antibiotics, high levels of bacteria from poor sanitation conditions, and has a high chance of being tainted by animal feces due to the production line methods of processing the animals.

meat itself is not unhealthy. the industrial system that is being used in farming and processing, where economy is the driving force over all else is the problem.

If I did eat meat I'd want to know where it came from, I live in new zealand (some of the time.... not that much in the last 6 years lol) and here the local butcher got his meat unprocessed from local farms, and infact can tell you where it came from.

do you know where your meat came from? the processes it went through? no? well... why are you asking me questions about my lifestyle when you don't have any knowledge about yours.

if you think im talking BS
    how do you explain the side of horse meat that tainted the crap out of meat in europe a few months ago?

they studied the meat afterwards, and in processed "beef" there was chicken, ham and horse meat. im sure horse meat tastes good, but still thats pretty messed up.

do you know how it happened? because the processing plants didn't clean the line between the different meat runs. you know why they didn't do that? you have higher production that way, and also because they are lazy.

they don't care about making a good or healthy product, and this meat was all over tesco shelves in the UK and other places. the whole industry was contaminated with these bad practices. so for how long were people eating beef chicken pork horse mince?

i don't have a problem with people eating meat, but lets not pretend industrial farming is a good thing for the health of the planet, or for humanity itself. as I posted before:

if we stopped seeing ourselves as countries but just as people, perhaps we could feed 800 million more.

"If all the grain currently fed to livestock in the United States were consumed directly by people, the number of people who could be fed would be nearly 800 million," David Pimentel, professor of ecology in Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, reported at the July 24-26 meeting of the Canadian Society of Animal Science in Montreal. Or, if those grains were exported, it would boost the U.S. trade balance by $80 billion a year, Pimentel estimated.

With only grass-fed livestock, individual Americans would still get more than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of meat and dairy protein, according to Pimentel's report, "Livestock Production: Energy Inputs and the Environment."

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/1997/08/us-could-feed-800-million-people-grain-livestock-eat

im pescatarian because yum cha is awesome. I don't eat the rest cause I don't have to. I dont think meat is gross, I don't have a problem with people eating meat, humans, since we came out of the cave have kept animals and eaten them BUT:

animals should be treated with respect, you should only eat something that you are willing to kill yourself, and the production of meat should be about quality above all.

* stands up and applaudes *
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The way I see it:

You eat meat? Cool.

You don't eat meat? Cool.

2e5v6yq.gif

Love this one!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I don't mind if people do or don't eat meat. I would prefer to be vegetarian myself but I just can't/haven't tried hard enough yet since having to feed others that wouldn't dream of it plus I love it too but I'm a big animal lover and sleep with a couple most nights. I just don't like people saying "oh I don't eat meat!" but they actually do. Fish is meat!. Birds are meat!. Just because the meat isn't red meat with four hoofs doesn't mean you aren't eating meat if you are eating some seafood or a bird etc.. You are only vegetarian if you don't eat a an animal at all full stop.. sorry. If it swims it's still an animal! If it flies it's an animal or lives in a shell under the sea etc.. still NOT vegetarian. Pescatarian is the correct term for seafood eaters stop pretending to be veg!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I am okay without eating meat so why eat it if there is no need?
    It seems cruel to kill something when it is unnecessary, if I can live without taking a life why not? To people it is a meal, to an animal it is their life.

I don't believe people should try and go vegetarian for fad reasons, as the op said there are many people here struggling. Sometimes it is a process and some people just remain plant based and eat meat once in awhile (flexitarian).

Reading more, I'm not sure how I feel about veganism. If you need to supplement b12...then how healthy can that diet really be? (I'm not expecting an answer, thats just my view on it, though I do eat many vegan meals).
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    reported the meat photo....
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan since I was 13, and a vegetarian for about 5 years before that.

I don't argue that eating meat or animal products is not natural - although we are the ONLY animals who continue to drink milk (of another animal, creepy!) after infancy - but it is also natural for us to kill each other from time to time, isn't it? But humans like to think of ourselves as having morals - and if that's true, then no, causing suffering to any living creature (when it is not necessary!) is not acceptable.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I never said that vegetarians suffer from neurological conditions due to lack of B12. Most vegetarians consume animal products in some form or fashion, be it from dairy or eggs. VEGANS always have a problem with B12, supplemented or not.

I did not, when I was vegan.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    I used to hunt. I stopped killing for sport because it didn't seem that sporting. Then I stopped eating veal because it was cruel. Eventually, I realized that I couldn't justify killing something else because I like the way it tastes. Since I can live in perfect health without meat,that was what I needed to do. I limit my dairy because it's not terribly good for me (both based on studies I've seen and my own personal experiments with how I feel with and without dairy). I don't eat eggs often, but I make sure to get vegetarian-fed, free range eggs with good reviews from independent watchdog groups so as to not cause any needless suffering. I also try to make sure that the human workers are treated humanely (with vegetables and fruits as well), but data on that can be harder to come by.

Short version: it's better for me and I don't feel guilty about eating vegetables.

You kill all the time when you eat food, there's no way around it. I'd never eat eggs from a vegetarian raised hen. Chickens aren't vegetarian.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

I did not, when I was vegan.

How long were you a vegan? It take several years for your body's B12 stores to run out and manifest symptoms.