weight fluctuation question

Options
So, I'm 2.5 weeks into my journey and I have absolutely no frame of reference for weight fluctuations. I need some motivation and some HELP!! :sad: I know it's not a HUGE deal but for the last 2.5 weeks I've been down in weight every time I've checked and yesterday and today I've been UP. Yesterday was by 0.4lb and today was by another 0.8 but I just feel this terror that it's going to keep on going up. I've been losing really fast thus far ( 9 to 10 lbs in 2.5 weeks) and have known that that will slow down but didn't expect it to go up. Yesterday I had an INSANE bike ride that ended up (accidentally, due to a wrong turn and a route change plus pulling a double trailer with two kids in it!) being a 1200 calorie work out. I drank enough water and I also know we had refried beans with supper (super high in sodium) but I don't know... I'm trying to be level-headed but this is the first time I've had to deal with this and I just feel so sad :cry:

Thanks for any advice, feedback or personal experience...

Replies

• PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    So, I'm 2.5 weeks into my journey and I have absolutely no frame of reference for weight fluctuations. I need some motivation and some HELP!! :sad: I know it's not a HUGE deal but for the last 2.5 weeks I've been down in weight every time I've checked and yesterday and today I've been UP. Yesterday was by 0.4lb and today was by another 0.8 but I just feel this terror that it's going to keep on going up. I've been losing really fast thus far ( 9 to 10 lbs in 2.5 weeks) and have known that that will slow down but didn't expect it to go up. Yesterday I had an INSANE bike ride that ended up (accidentally, due to a wrong turn and a route change plus pulling a double trailer with two kids in it!) being a 1200 calorie work out. I drank enough water and I also know we had refried beans with supper (super high in sodium) but I don't know... I'm trying to be level-headed but this is the first time I've had to deal with this and I just feel so sad :cry:

Thanks for any advice, feedback or personal experience...
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    A woman's weight will fluctuate up to 5 pounds on any given day due to fluid retention--and that's not counting "ToM."

If you ate a lot of sodium, then you might be retaining fluids, but it could just as well be 'normal' retention that we go through.

Don't sweat it--it will be gone in a day or so more likely.
  • Kimlane70
    Kimlane70 Posts: 117
    Options
    my first guess would be it's the sodium, but if your like me and want to lose a pound a day, let me tell you right now that's not gonna happen. your initial weight loss is great and so you know your doing the right things for your body to lose weight so just keep doing what your doin. "they" say to weigh once a week or once a month so you will see the weight loss. i personally can't do that. i weigh everyday. it's like an obsession. no, really i just want to know where i'm at and what's going on.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yes, at this point since it's still early I'm weighing more often because I want to know I'm on track but the last 2 days I've said to myself "don't do it.. just wait until Wednesday" then I say "well, if I'm up a little I know it's perfectly normal to fluctuate so I'll just ignore it" (yeah right). I'm most certainly not expecting to lose as quickly as I have.. I have a lot to lose, still almost 70 lbs, and I don't want loose skin so I want to take it slow. But I think I'll have to stick to every week or two.
  • eHarris
    eHarris Posts: 160
    Options
    keep in mind too that even if you aren't lifting weights you still building healthy lean muscle too!
  • shorerider
    Options
    I weigh twice a day--it has helped me to see at what times I do retain fluids and be able also to go back and see what I might have eaten that caused it. I weigh in the morning and just before bed.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    My scale goes up and down and up and down and dup and down and doup and down and dowup and down and down and down...

Ya, it's about like that too!

But today although my scale was stupid, I kicked it, took a photo, and well...I'm not addicted to it's opinion of me anymore. I felt good!

So go for what you look like, not what it says as often.
  • eHarris
    Options
    Princess ...I'm totally not hitting on you or anything...but you are the cutest thing ever!! lol :smooched:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I had to have my husband hide the scale from me when I first started. Then on Mondays I would weigh in at the gym. It is too tempting to weigh in every morning. When I got the scale back I put a note on it that says "Is it MONDAY?", and if it isn't I have to step away because the fluctuations are your worst enemy in the "journey" to a healthier you.
  • shar0124
    shar0124 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for these posts. I weighed myself this morning and did a check-in. I was disappointed that I GAINED back 2lbs of the 3 1/2 lbs. that I had lost. I have been doing weights 2 times a weeks so maybe that is it. But it really bummed me out. I just FEEL less bloated. But I would like to see some progress reflected in the scale.

I checked the net calories report for the past week and notice that I am staying pretty consistant at 1200 per day, except for the exercise days when I don't seem to be eating enough to offset the exercise. Could this be causing the "starvation hold on fat"?

OR am I just expecting too much, too soon?? (It's been 4 weeks.)
  • eHarris
    Options
    it could be, try to eat something with healthy fats and calories on the days you work out. Snacks like pistachios or almonds and peanutbutter are a good way to get in extra good calories without having to eat lots of food.
  • shorerider
    Options
    slycmk:

gotta eat those exercise calories!

Your body needs fuel to survive and not giving it enough is just like not putting gas in your car. 1200 calories a day is the minimum that anyone should eat, too. You might need to actually increase your calories a little and try for a slower weight loss. Only people with a lot of weight to loss should be on a 1200 calorie a day diet.
  • shar0124
    shar0124 Posts: 21
    Options
    slycmk:

gotta eat those exercise calories!

Your body needs fuel to survive and not giving it enough is just like not putting gas in your car. 1200 calories a day is the minimum that anyone should eat, too. You might need to actually increase your calories a little and try for a slower weight loss. Only people with a lot of weight to loss should be on a 1200 calorie a day diet.

I have printed off my reports to talk with my trainer tonight. She initially advised me to stay at 1200 calories a day on the off exercise day. Which I have finally gotten down well, while eating good calories, fish, chicken, veggies, salads, yogurt, etc. None or very, very, little sweets, no fried, etc. But i have a hard time eating the extra calories on exercise day without putting in something bad which I don't want to do. She says to eat extra protein after exercising. And I have a hard-boiled egg or Luna protein bar an hour before exercising. However, I must be doing something wrong. I should see something after 4 weeks, shouldn't I ???
  • shorerider
    Options
    I have printed off my reports to talk with my trainer tonight. She initially advised me to stay at 1200 calories a day on the off exercise day. Which I have finally gotten down well, while eating good calories, fish, chicken, veggies, salads, yogurt, etc. None or very, very, little sweets, no fried, etc. But i have a hard time eating the extra calories on exercise day without putting in something bad which I don't want to do. She says to eat extra protein after exercising. And I have a hard-boiled egg or Luna protein bar an hour before exercising. However, I must be doing something wrong. I should see something after 4 weeks, shouldn't I ???

Maybe/Maybe not. Remember, those of us on here that are no a little older have a slower metabolism, so it will take a little longer for us. I'd check with your doc about the 1200 calories though. See what they recommend.

There's lots of good stuff you can eat that will help you eat your exercise calories. Bananas are good for you and have quite a few calories. Peanut Butter is something else.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Princess ...I'm totally not hitting on you or anything...but you are the cutest thing ever!! lol :smooched:

Thanks! LOL The walls are totally closing in on me today with this weather...BAHHHHH!!!!

I'm running out of things to do!!!

nuke.gif