Trying to be healthy, not mentally ill.

Options
Hi! My name is D. After living years being overweight I have decided that I would like to lose a lot of it. But of course, the ghost from my past returned and that ghost's name is Anorexia Nervosa. I'm struggling to ignore the thoughts of starving and purging but I really am working towards losing weight in a healthy way. My journal wouldn't reflect that given that I always forget to add to it, but I was wondering if anybody else on this site had these problems, (the thoughts and such)?

Replies

• esme1983
    esme1983 Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi, It's so hard to undo negative attachments to food and exercise. I might not know what I'm talking about but you might not find this is the site for you. There are lots of lovely, well-meaning people on here with TONS of great advice. But you also get a lot of "suck-it-up-and-stop-whining" types (who are also well meaning but possible inexperienced)

If you are in a bad place this can have a very negative impact and might be a trigger for you. Also, I think beyond losing weight, you need to get well - and then focus on the other stuff.

You might find a strength program would be useful to you because you can learn to feel strong and proud of your body - not just thinking of it as the ugly thing that has let you down so many times before.

But there will be people who know more than I do who might be able to help. This is a good site: http://www.b-eat.co.uk/ there is also another one that I just can;t think of right now but I will pop back when I do. Good luck xxx
  • helencharlottemay
    helencharlottemay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    June 11, 2013 3:54 pm
    Hi I am Helen a life time yo yo dieter, got though anorexia as a teen but now I am a mum I am happy with my body but would live to just tone some more. I have really go into my sports since having my 2nd and final daughter, I managed to complete my first 10k in Manchester last month at the age of 30 and just having a full hysterectomy 5 months ago. How you finding MFP?