Sugar and protein dilemma

Options
Fab30s
Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
I've heard and read a lot that lean protein is good for you and we all know that we're supposed to have however many servings of fruits a day. So I am eating a lot of yogurt, eggs, nuts, fish, chicken and fruits. And I am really minimizing my carbs intake. My calorie goal is set at 1200 but I workout everyday for at least an hour an earn some extra calories. However, my protein and sugar intake is always way above my daily goals when I eat the things I have mentioned above. My question now is, is all that sugar in fruits a bit much, and what are the downsides of too much protein.

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    There aren't any downsides to too much protein. You'll just pee out the extra. Eating lots of protein is a great way to keep yourself full :) just ignore it when MFP puts it in red.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are better than fruits, and fruit juice is just a sugar solution so I would miss that out completely.

There's a posting on here recently about protein - go look for that rather than me repeat it ;-)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    my protein and sugar intake is always way above my daily goals
    MFP sets the protein limit too low. Try to have tighter control of your sugar intake and don't worry about the protein.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition requiring you to control your sugars, the only ones you will may want to keep a close eye on are the refined and added sugars. The natural sugars from fruit and (some) veggies can be over looked. For most people, MFP sets the guidelines on the sugar WAY too low.

For the protein - Definitely, the MFP guidelines are set too low. If you see that number as a MINIMUM, then you should be fine. Though, the more the merrier. Especially if you are putting in a strenuous workout and really taxing your muscles.
  • joyocean
    joyocean Posts: 1
    Options
    My daily requirement for protein is at least 60gr. per day. It is a good practice to look at
    how much sugar is in a product an choose 5gr. per, meal. This has helped me alot.
  • CubicCutie
    CubicCutie Posts: 53
    Options
    I aom for my five a day but try to restrict it to 2 fruits:3 veg as others have already said the fruit tends to me more loaded with sugar. Thats my baseline anyway but often go a bit more either way.

I add stevia to my stewed fruit & on my morning oats - zero cals.

Sounds like you're doing great to me. MFP is a barometer really so as others say just use it a s tool to keep you wandering off the track too far.:happy:
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    protein levels here are set way too low which is why I use the custom settings. Sugar, I limit myself to 2 cups of fruit a day and other than my morning coffee I try and limit sugar to natural sources only (other than a bit of greek yogurt), I try and assure my fruits and veggies come from veggies about 80% of the time.
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You should intake 1g of protein per 1lb of your weight.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    Thank you all. I'll limit the fruits and keep with the protein. I make my breakfast smoothies with mangoes, apples, bananas and sometimes pineapples and one mango takes up all the sugar am supposed to have in a day.
  • watercolorarteest
    watercolorarteest Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the sugar goes off the charts before noon for me on MFP. And since starting on my program in April, I've really cut down on the sugars (I'm a sweet tooth) and the carbs (I could live off bread and water!). So it's disheartening to see the sugar level go red so early each day. I've decided that isn't going to bother me, so long as i keep following the principles my boot camp coach taught: Eat 4-5x per day. Each time eat a lean protein (size of your palm for women) and a vegetable.

I asked about the "interchangeability" of vegetables and fruits in one's daily intake, and it was suggested that one should have 3-4 vegetables eaten before eating one fruit. So I eat my fruits later in the day and usually it's only one or two fruits.

Protein is needed throughout the day. Vegetables are a good natural source of fiber. Fruits would be secondary.

Hope that helps! (from a newbie).
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    Yeah, the sugar goes off the charts before noon for me on MFP. And since starting on my program in April, I've really cut down on the sugars (I'm a sweet tooth) and the carbs (I could live off bread and water!). So it's disheartening to see the sugar level go red so early each day. I've decided that isn't going to bother me, so long as i keep following the principles my boot camp coach taught: Eat 4-5x per day. Each time eat a lean protein (size of your palm for women) and a vegetable.

I asked about the "interchangeability" of vegetables and fruits in one's daily intake, and it was suggested that one should have 3-4 vegetables eaten before eating one fruit. So I eat my fruits later in the day and usually it's only one or two fruits.

Protein is needed throughout the day. Vegetables are a good natural source of fiber. Fruits would be secondary.

Hope that helps! (from a newbie).

Thanks. It helps. I don't mind snacking on protein 4-5 times a day. I love chicken, I love liver, absolutely love fish, like vegetables, like eggs. I don't like to eat fruits actually, but in an effort to find a healthy breakfast, I've been having fruit smoothies. Since am staying away from bread, what am I going to eat for breakfast besides eggs? I don't want the fat in sausages. If I don't have fruit smoothies, then I need some breakfast ideas.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

Thanks. I think this is my problem - "However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides." In what foods can I find glucose? I am eating at a deficit, pretty sure-- even hungry after night workouts. I may actually be underestimating my calories burned since I enter my weight lifting calories as only 1. And just go by calories burned on treadmill yet I weigh more that the average person and my gym treadmill does not take weight into account. I weigh 220lbs and have lost 0.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    Oh, and thanks for the links to the studies, am checking them out.
  • Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    I don't really look too much at the sugar if it's from fruits-they are super healthy and contain so many great nutrients and antioxidants! I go over the recommended sugar by a tiny bit every day, but it's all from fruits and I avoid any processed sugars and I have been losing weight quite consistently-and I eat my fruits early in the day and veggies later. (I was told by my nutritionist to fit in more carbs/sugars in the morning and go heavier protein/veggies at night). Anyway of course keep track of how MUCH fruit you are eating, but I wouldn't cut them out they have a lot of nutritional benefits.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think this is my problem - "However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides." In what foods can I find glucose? I am eating at a deficit, pretty sure-- even hungry after night workouts. I may actually be underestimating my calories burned since I enter my weight lifting calories as only 1. And just go by calories burned on treadmill yet I weigh more that the average person and my gym treadmill does not take weight into account. I weigh 220lbs and have lost 0.
    Complex carbs. Breads, pastas, whole grains, oats, etc. are broken down into glucose. The white stuff (white bread, pasta, flour, etc.) are broken into glucose faster than the fibrous and/or dark stuff (oats, whole grains, whole wheat, etc.) so it's better to eat less of the white stuff. The dark stuff will keep you full longer.
  • Fab30s
    Options

Thanks, I need ideas for low-card breakfasts. Unfortunately blackberries, rhubarb or raspberries don't grow in the part of Africa. What we have is bananas, mangoes, pineapples- the sugary stuff.
  • Stever750
    Stever750 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's a lot easier to simply treat sugar as carbs (for that is what they are). If you are trying to minimise carbs then don't over do the fruit. I've lost around 13lbs in last 6 months simply by using carbs as fuel only when exercising, and then only after 30 minutes of hard effort to avoid any unwanted insulin spikes. (I do a lot of cycle racing), when not riding then almost cut them all right out and eat lean meat and vegetables.
    For breakfast, I tend to eat porridge on exercise days, or eggs / beans / fish on non which stops the hunger pangs before lunchtime!