10 Things I Wish I'd Known About Half Marathons & Training

Options
124»

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I just completed a half marathon, and its training.

I did:

Monday- rest
    Tuesday- 4-8mile run
    Wednesday- gym sesh including HIIT but focusing on mixture of core, leg, back exercises for strength and power.
    Thursday 4-8mile run
    Friday- gym sesh
    Saturday- rest
    Sunday- 8-10mile run
    I like that schedule. Someone else posted a link to a popular one that had some back to back run days in it and I find that a lot harder to do. Last week I ran 10 miles without stopping or walking one night, so my base conditioning is pretty close. But over the weekend I ran twice - Saturday early and late Sunday afternoon. I had no trouble with 6 miles on Saturday, but Sunday at just past the 3 mile mark I was wiped (still made it past 6 miles, but it involved a lot of walking and will power). It was much hotter and I did do a hard climb right at that point, but I had similar experiences with back to back days when I was doing C25K. Anyway, most weeks I run Tuesday, Thursday and at least once on the weekend, so your schedule makes me feel like I don't have to change much. I am starting to add in gym sessions instead of my home exercise on in between days.
    Tips I have found out during training:

- Cut all the tags off your clothes, as once you do 8miles plus this can seriously rub and cut your skin!

- Have a pair of trainers for 10k runs, and a pair for the longer runs. Feet can SERIOUSLY get sore!
    By about the 5k mark my T shirt is pasted in place with sweat and doesn't move except with me the rest of the way, so tags haven't bugged me.

I am a little confused about the multiple shoes. I run in a pair of Saucony shoes that I paid a little extra to get at a good running shoe store where they did the multiple measurements (to get arch and how much it falls), watched me run in different pairs and helped me choose shoes appropriate to the type of running I am doing. My feet don't shift around in them (I was actually taught a different way to lace to pull the heel tighter) and I haven't ever gotten blisters. My point is that they seem near perfect and if I got another pair I would probably get twins to them. I am not sure I understand the point of that. Shoes don't get tired. As long as they have long enough between uses to be dry inside when you put them on and are in good shape, I don't see the point in multiple pairs.

- STRETCH. Its so easy after running for 2hours to sit on your butt and skip it.

-water water water water. I have had numerous of headaches due to not drinking enough water. Now that I have finished the marathon a few weeks ago, I still keep drinking the same amount. I drink around 15-20 cups a day! Although it is not ideal to some, I always carry a bottle of water with me on runs now.

-Try keeping the longer runs at night time. I tried doing some 10milers in the morning, and found that the rest of the day I was seriously slacking off, and had to go for naps.

- DO NOT eat bananas. Seriously. You will regret it.

- Only use energy gels for runs over 10 miles. They sit funny in the stomach, and are not worth the calories on a shorter run.

- On long run days, it is good to eat plenty. The main reason why I took up running!!!
    What is your timing, eating versus running? I mean like a big meal X hours before/after or whatever.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

- Only use energy gels for runs over 10 miles. [/b]They sit funny in the stomach[/b], and are not worth the calories on a shorter run.

This probably depends on the individual - I've eaten bananas before I run many times with no problems, and I never have problems with GU - I take it on any run 7-8 miles or longer., generally every 45 min.

Just wanted to expand on the energy gels comment........Personally i don't use gels for anything less than 10 miles or so too, between stored glycogen and your dietary intake energy should not be a problem for shorter runs if you've trained properly.

As to gels upsetting your stomach I have to say if that's the case you're using the wrong gel. There are as many varieties of gels as there are running shoes (only a slight exaggeration) and some are better tolerated by individuals than others, it's often a bit of trial and error until you find the one that works for you but........train with what you're going to use on race day, nothing new on race day period.

For the past couple of years I've been making my own "gel" from a mixture of honey, molasses, a pinch of salt and a bit of water to dilute it. A fraction of the cost of commercial gels and seems to deliver the right combination of carbs & electrolytes for me.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options

- Only use energy gels for runs over 10 miles. [/b]They sit funny in the stomach[/b], and are not worth the calories on a shorter run.

This probably depends on the individual - I've eaten bananas before I run many times with no problems, and I never have problems with GU - I take it on any run 7-8 miles or longer., generally every 45 min.

Just wanted to expand on the energy gels comment........Personally i don't use gels for anything less than 10 miles or so too, between stored glycogen and your dietary intake energy should not be a problem for shorter runs if you've trained properly.

As to gels upsetting your stomach I have to say if that's the case you're using the wrong gel. There are as many varieties of gels as there are running shoes (only a slight exaggeration) and some are better tolerated by individuals than others, it's often a bit of trial and error until you find the one that works for you but........train with what you're going to use on race day, nothing new on race day period.

For the past couple of years I've been making my own "gel" from a mixture of honey, molasses, a pinch of salt and a bit of water to dilute it. A fraction of the cost of commercial gels and seems to deliver the right combination of carbs & electrolytes for me.

Making your own gel - that's pretty genius! At $2/pop for the packaged stuff, much cheaper - and I bet that tastes better, too. What do you put it in to consume on a run?
  • andreafischer1982
    andreafischer1982 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    AWWWW thanks for this awesome post i will sing up for my first halfmarathon tonight at 6 pm when registration starts for the disney run ;) so this post gets me kinda excited ;)
  • sailfast23
    sailfast23 Posts: 10
    Options
    Bump
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I just want to add something for people who are on the bottom end of the fitness scale as I was when I did my first half.

Don't be too proud. I walked 90% of my first 1/2 and I was ashamed and embarrassed at first, but in the end I'm so glad I did it. Even if yo don't run the whole damn thing, you CAN finish. Everybody who tries is ahead of that version of themselves who is sitting at home on the couch.
    Yes! New runners should not feel bad about walking part or all of the race. In the two halfs I've done, the serious, competitive runners were in the front corrals at the starting line. Further back were the slower runners, the run/walkers and the walkers. There were MANY run/walkers and walkers. Be proud of where you are and what you're doing. It's an awesome accomplishment!
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    Bump for tracking
  • nataschalouise
    Options
    To 55in13 :

-As to the tags, I think maybe because I live in Scotland, UK is the reason why this bothers me an awful lot (sweat doesn't happen to often when running outside because it is generally freezing!). I actually forgot to take the tag of my underwear for the half marathon and was left with a cut/sore from it!

-For the trainers, it was something my uncle, who has just qualified for the Iron Man Kona suggested to me. Having a pair of trainers for 10ks, and a pair for the longer runs. I also work in a Sport shop, and they separate trainers by 10ks, 22ks, and 44ks. 10k trainers tend to have more bounce, and the 22-44k are more cushiony. As for the actual science behind it, I don't know- I work in the bike department.

- Eating wise: I tend to eat 2/3 hours before exercise, and then immediately after where possible (my PT advises within 20minutes). So I generally tend to eat whilst being disgustingly sweaty.

BrianSharpe:

- I used to eat bananas before runs, until I noticed that everytime I did this, I would have problems. From suggestion by my uncle I stopped eating them, and I have never had a problem since. I think it could be because of the fibre in the banana? Eating bananas otherwise have never caused me a problem in that area, and it is still my favourite fruit :)

- With the gels, you could be right. I only used the High 5 gels due to the fact they sponsored the marathon and had stations throughout the run (less carrying!). I trained with the recommended amount at the beginning, 3 per hour, but as mentioned, they sit a bit funny on my stomach. I cut it down to only having 2 for runs over 10m, and felt great afterwards. 3 per hour to me felt a bit excessive. And expensive!

As for your own gel, that is a brilliant idea! Would love to know a recipe! And how do you store them?
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    Lots of great tips here! I've done two halfs and am scheduled for a third in October.

I would add that there are a lot of factors that are going to vary a lot by individual. For example -

9. SHOES. My arches were hurting, when a friend suggested I replace my shoes. I'd had them for a year and a half, and had bought nice running shoes, so I thought they were okay. Wrong - when I bought new shoes at a running store, fitted for my feet, the brand new shoes OVERNIGHT fixed my arch pain. The lifespan of a running shoe, when training for a half marathon and exercising lots, is 6 months. It does matter.

6 months is *probably* a pretty good rule for most people training for their first half, but it's really more about mileage on the shoes as opposed to time. The general guideline (and there are those who dispute it) is that running shoes are good for about 500 miles. If you're tracking your runs on runkeeper or mapmyrun, etc. you should pretty easily be able to track how many miles you're getting per month. When I'm fully geared up for half training, I can log up to 125 miles / month, so actually replace shoes in more like 4ish months.

I also have no problems eating bananas before a run. And ONLY do my runs, including long runs in the early morning, first thing when I wake up, if I can help it. My performance in the afternoon is significantly worse than first thing in the morning. But that's me. So I think most runners have to play around a little to see what works. There is some famous running quote (maybe from George Sheahan?) that all runners "are an experiment of one." :)
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to approach that run after taking a nice long bike ride and not stopping for a rest in between? :)

FOOD. I do HIIT Runs followed by spin class. I replenish in between with a pure protein bar.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to approach that run after taking a nice long bike ride and not stopping for a rest in between? :)

Just get off and run. Ain't nothing like a good brick!
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Great tips. Thanks for the encouragement and advice. Training for a 1/2 in October, but haven't committed yet to the race. This might give me the push to register.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Haha - are you doing a triathlon? Or just awesome like that? I think you're way ahead of me for advice. :p

Yeah, a tri. :)

Naw, I think you're beyond me with running. I'm still muddling through that. Not a huge running fan.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Just get off and run. Ain't nothing like a good brick!

Got my next one coming Sat morning. :| heh. they ain't too bad.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips! Running partner and I just signed up for our first half in Nov.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    As far as asthma and running--inhale through the nose, exhale through the mouth. I do thisy ear round, even when it's not cold. Long, deep breaths. If you are panting or feel short of breath, slow your pace. Exhaling through the mouth will force moist air into your mouth, helping you to not feel thirsty due to dry mouth.

I carry a bottle with me--good exercise for your arms, and take a good mouthfulof water every mile or so. I switch the bottle back and forth ech time I take a drink so both arms get that little workout. The bottle I carry on long runs is 32 ounces, so it's like having a weight in my hand.

The bottle of water is what is keeping your mouth wet, not the breathing. I usually run without one (for under 10 miles). When I exhaled through my mouth, it was dry after a couple of miles. When I keep it closed and breathe in and out through my nose, the mouth stays moist.

I disagree. I drink because Keeping hydrated when you're out in 80 degree heat is important, not because my mouth is dry.

Also I feel like I can fully exhale through my mouth. I never feel like Imcompletely empty my lungs through my nose.

I think I've also read to not get too hung up on your breathing. Not to get too hung up on the "right" way to do everything. Pretty sure I start off in and out through nose, then by the time I've warmed up, usually in through nose and out through the mouth. But I know I often breathe in AND out through my mouth. I don't overthink it. My mouth doesn't get dry and I don't drink water during most of my runs (except maybe 6+) and I'm slow, so I'm out there a while.

Also agree with all others that hate bananas. Really you gotta find out what works for you, but bananas and peanut butter prior to a run give me massive heart burn. And I've eaten hamburgers and fries and burritos and plenty of other things and been fine. Now I eat some baby carrots, snap peas, and grapes as my usual pre-run food, stop eating at least an hour before. My tummy prefers to be mostly empty on a run (though very well hydrated). And the whole "you have to eat within x" is probably also bunk. If I don't get to lunch/dinner after a run right away I don't panic. Usually have plenty of time to shower, change, maybe a few other things after and feel fine. Again, maybe on really long runs this is more of an issue, but you should probably have a routine, and it's that routine that's driving your hunger, not just because you ran and have a time limit on eating.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Stevearoonie
    Stevearoonie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump thank you!
  • JenJenJenny81
    Options
    I've always heard the opposite is true: that you must keep your mouth open in order to allow your body to receive all the oxygen it needs while you run.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    bump