Lifting Machines of Choice

Options
I'm going to start this out with a point that will probably be overlooked:
I lift with free weights. I recognize that they are ideal when it comes to raw strength gains.

For personal reasons, I may become a part owner of a space where people go to workout. I'm looking into buying strength training equipment for that space. The thing is, the insurance on free weights is FAR more expensive than that of machines. If you had to pick a minimal number of machines (and ideally not super expensive, not too space consuming, and plate loaded rather than having a weight cap) to perform a full body workout, what would you choose? Bodyweight exercises are fine, but because I wouldn't be knowledgeable enough on gymnastics I don't think I could do exclusively bodyweight exercises.

I'm thinking something like:
Pullup Bar
Dip Bars
Leg Press/Hack Squat
Chest Press
T Bar Row

Any other ideas?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Cable machine. Military press (I actually used one in a hotel fitness room that adjusted so it could be more of a chest press motion or a military press motion, and one other, I think.)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Lat pulldown.
    assistive chin up bar

then you better put one of those ab cruncher things. people like those.
    then get the one girls use to spread their legs. just cause.

Why not pick a company brand and just see what they have to offer. It will look more pro if they all match.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Why not pick a company brand and just see what they have to offer. It will look more pro if they all match.

They may be able to offer suggestions too.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Maybe a Pulley Station anb Blast Straps. These would just be extra though, the ones you named in your original post are obviously the most important.

Edit: Chest Supported Row
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Lat Pulldown
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    The two most illusive and awesome gym machines are:

Cybex Leg Press and Nautilus Pullover Machine. Also that Hammer Strength Diagonal row seems to be impossible to mimic with free weights.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You need Leg Press for sure. You can get Dip/Pullup stations build into a good sized squat rack, yea you may not have free weights "yet", but you could have the squat station just for the pullup/dip parts of it and be ready for when you do get free weights.

Without bench you need a chest press (and there are some that also have chest flys built into the machine, people like flys)....

You could also look at getting some adjustable benches for use with resistance bands instead of free weights..you just have to modify the benches a little to create "eyelets" to attach resistance bands to, plus again you get to have the adjustable benches for when you do get your free weights.

At some point, you will have to incorporate free weights...so start thinking about things you can get that can serve "double-duty" so you don't end up spending more money later and running out of space from having too many things jammed together.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    My all-time favorite machine: Weight Assisted Pull-up/Dips. I think I've gotten more benefit from using that machine than any of the others.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Ok, I thought about it a bit. If it was me, here is what I would do.

you already have some clients, right? I'd make some posters with the different machines that you are thinking about.

Make up little voting cards like 1 -5 or whatever. Let the people vote on what they want. Maybe make a special vote if you have any personal trainers that work there, since they will be creating workouts.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    This is some really great advice guys. I appreciate it.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Some inexpensive accessory equipment:

TRX straps
    Plyo boxes
    Swiss balls

Machines:

Mid-row or T-row machine
    cable pull station with row and lat pulldown attachments.
    Adductor/abductor are always being used in my gym
    Chest press
    leg press
    leg curl
    leg extension
    assisted dip
    roman chair
    decline crunch bench
    hanging leg raise/dip station
    bicep curl
    triceps pushdown
    a machine for flys
    ETA: Glute-ham raise

Obviously a long list and the machines are expensive. Good luck and hope the venture works out for you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    adductor and abductor machines... ya know, for the thigh gap.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The two most illusive and awesome gym machines are:

Cybex Leg Press and Nautilus Pullover Machine. Also that Hammer Strength Diagonal row seems to be impossible to mimic with free weights.

All of this...
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I just cried laughing so hard..... Thanks for that
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    one of those converible pulley machines is good, just make sure to have a variety of handles
    leg press

non machine wise save a corner for a heavy bag
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

I just cried laughing so hard..... Thanks for that

Almost spit out my coffee. haha
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Some kind of ab machine to burn tummy fat. *runs*

:-D

aka the Yes/No machines.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hammer Strength machines are good.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I use (or have used) one of those double cable machines, leg press, leg extension and calf raise as supplements to my main program.