new to this...

Options
I want to loose weight and get fit. I'm tired of being asked/told I'm pregnant by strangers and chubby/squishy by the kids. I'm tired of not having anything that fits me or anything I feel makes me look good. I'm tired of not feeling sexy for my husband and repulsive to myself. Tired of staying in the house and not going anywhere in public because I'm ashamed of my body. My husband is on deployment for a year and I'd love for him to come home to a thinner fitter me...

Right now I am about 195. Pre pregnancy I was about 165 which is about 20lbs overweight for me. Target goal weight would be 145, but I'd settle for getting down to my pre-pregnancy weight first...

Challenges for me are numerous. I don't have anyone to watch the kids so I can work out, I am incredibly uncoordinated and afraid I'll embarrass myself working out in public. I feel like it would really help if I had someone who will hold me accountable but I don't really have any support. I've never been very active and I'm not sure where to start. I know I need to change my diet but I am a junk food junkie. I need help! LOL. I'd love some ideas on where/how to start... Basically I'm here looking for support, motivation, ideas, accountability...

Replies

• js97206
    js97206 Posts: 15
    Options
    Start out easy. If you have not been exercising, start with walking. Do it everyday, take the kids. start with 15 minutes and add 5 or 10 minutes a week. When you can do an hour of fast walking start looking for some workout DVDs you can do at home. Or you can just stick with walking. As far as diet goes start by tracking what you eat. After a week or two you will see where you can cut some of the calories out. When something tempts you find a healthier option. Doing to much at the start could overwhelm you and derail you. Work on exercising everyday and writing down what you eat. I would be happy to help you out.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    welcome
    You can do this. Take the kids for walks , to the park , you can walk around the playground while they play , you can also swing them or swing with them. Also putting on music and dancing around with the kids is fun and good exercise, you could also take the kids swimming if you have a pool nearby.. Track everything you eat and your exercise daily. this site has alot of motivation and encouragement. Just stick with it, you can do it
  • Daytripperjackie
    Daytripperjackie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new myself and starting with you.

My husband was deployed right after our son was born (he is 5 now). I lived across the country from family and friends so I had no support either. It is hard. Remember there are resources to help you if you live near base. Use them. I know not all bases are the same but ours does 10 free childcare hours a month for deployed spouses, free gym use, free nutritionist meetings, and probably lots more I can't think of at the moment. Your Family Readiness Officer (each branch calls them different things) can give you more information if you ask them. That is their job to give you any information they can.
    Just thought I'd give you some more ideas since it took me years to learn about most of these things.

Also, remember to take time for you. Put the kids in hourly care for a few hours a week and take a long walk or swim alone. It's okay to take those breaks. You deserve them.