Stuck

sherryl29
sherryl29 Posts: 4
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I'm a new member and I'm stuck. I have been trying everything to loose 8 pounds I gained since the holidays and nothing is happening. If anything, I continue to gain. I have increased my exercise routine. I walk anywhere from 3-4 miles a day as well as spot exercises.
Any suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• sherryl29
    Hi, I'm a new member and I'm stuck. I have been trying everything to loose 8 pounds I gained since the holidays and nothing is happening. If anything, I continue to gain. I have increased my exercise routine. I walk anywhere from 3-4 miles a day as well as spot exercises.
    Any suggestions. Thanks for your help.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    :happy: How are you eating? Are you starving yourself? If you don't eat enough, none of that excercise will do much good.
  • sherryl29
    I'm far from starving myself. Just being more conscious of what's going in my mouth. I'm not giving up. I'm sure at some point something has to budge.
  • sherryl29
    By the way congratulations on stop smoking. I used to smoke and I've been smoke free for 4 years now. Keep up the good work.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    I was stuck for 4 weeks, and I've finally made a break through with 2lbs gone in the last 2 weeks! (I have 5lbs to go now). I increased my calories (1600 per day), and increased my exercise (burning around 400-600 per day), and I did go to bed hungry a couple of nights.

Hang in there, and you can make it work!

I've also increased my strength training. I noticed that you are in your 50's, so you've probably lost a significant amount of muscle mass, which contributes to metabolic function (starts to deteriorate in the 20's and picks up speed around the early 40's). Do you strength train?

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Widdy1961
    Widdy1961 Posts: 100 Member
    Hi sherryl29

I used to eat sensibly (or so I thought) but it's very very surprising how many calories there are in 'healthy' foods.

Since being here and using the 'Calorie Counting', I have realised just how many calories OVER I was eating each day and I was shocked.

Stick with the 'counting' and excercise and those 8lbs will go soon enough.

Widdy
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    How many calories a day are you eating--what is your caloric daily deficit?

How many exercise calories are you getting and are you eating them?

The answers can help us help you.

Please be aware that many people with only a small amount to lose often cut back to much on their caloric intake--1200 calories a day diet is not for someone with a small amount to lose. So if you're at that level, you need to up your calories.

Too few calories a day will cause your body to go into survival mode (or starvation mode) because it is not getting enough fuel to survive. It will horde every calorie it can get.

Many people on here can testify that they weren't losing until they upped their calories and then began to see a loss.

So let us know how many calories a day you are eating and we can go from there to try to help.
This discussion has been closed.