Is the last 10 pounds the most difficult?

Options
Hey friends! I have been on mfp since early February and it has been such a life changer! I have lost 20 pounds so far and it feels wonderful! However, my goal is to lose 30. With my recent loss, my calorie intake went from over 1400 calories to around 1300. I am having a hard time not going over lately! Especially if I don't work out enough to burn at least 200 calories exercising everyday. I do drink alcohol, I used to drink heavy beer and now I have switched to low calorie cocktails, but only if I work out that day. It's summer, I live in a small town in Michigan and drinking a cocktail is hard to avoid! Other than this aspect, I am a healthy eater, I hardly eat take out and am a major follower of cookinglight.com recipes. In the past couple weeks, I have went from a steady and healthy decline to the scale hardly budging. I have always heard that the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose. Do you guys that have reached your goals believe this to be true? Do I really need to step it up? Any advice in general is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Lost my first 3 stone (42lbs) in less than 6 months

Lost my last stone (14lbs) in more than 6 months...

Yes, it's harder.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Stick to it!!! I think the last 10 are hard because we have seen the 1st 20 go quicker, so when the pace slows we get edgy! Your calories are pretty low, I have heard A LOT of people say that a gradual increase toward maintenance calories has helped them off the plateau of the last 10. Maybe add in 100 calories everyday for the next two weeks, then add another 100 until you are at about 1500 a day. That seems like a good number for women.....

I personally notice that I have more ambition to work out and energy to push harder when I eat a little more!! Plus if I am 'training' my metabolism, I am pretty sure I want to train it to where I can eat as many calories as possible to maintain. I love food!

Oh and CONGRATULATIONS on 20 lbs! That is huge! Just keep on the same track and the last 10 will go too!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    It took me six months to lose my last 10 pounds. As you get closer to calorie equilibrium, your weight loss will slow. Just keep chipping away, it will come off.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to up your calories.........Doesn't seem like a lot

I think a lot of people on here work out your BMR and TDEE???? And eat within them figures and still lose weight!!!

The less you have to lose the harder it is, I am around 140lbs now, from building muscle, and don't know how I am going to lose any lbs, unless I cut my carbs and dairy....Which obviously is not healthy....
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    IMO, yes, for just the reasons you mentioned. You're lighter, your calorie needs are lower, and it's harder to get a calorie deficit. Any inaccuracies in logging calories can totally erase the deficit you think you have. And a small one day splurge can erase the deficit you built the few days before. On top of that, water weight fluctuations can mask slow fat loss. I hit the 130s 6 months ago and went on maintenance for about 3 months, lost about 5 lbs in those 3 months. Started trying to lose again 3 months ago and I've lost 2 lbs. ;)

ETA my maintenance calories are around 2100 but everyone is different.
  • MzRealMaFigz
    Options
    HI! I certainly feel your pain. From January through the last week of March it's like the weight was just melting off. I lost a little over 20lbs. Now for over 2 months, even with switching my work out routine, and still eating light, I've been at the SAME weight (give or take a pound or 2 for daily fluctuation). It's like i will see 168 one day and want to throw a party (lol), but a few days later i'm back at 171-172! :( It's been like that Since April 1st. And guess what, it's my last 10! I don't know HOW our body realizes it's out last 10, but it does, and it clings on to those darn last 10 for dear life! It's super frustrating but just don't give up! :)
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would say most definitely yes! When I started MFP I needed to lose about 20 pounds and now that I'm seven pounds away from my goal it is coming off soooo slowly. Even though I stayed within my TDEE -20% yesterday and had a great workout there wasn't a loss today. I didn't gain, which I was thrilled about, but at the same time it stunk not seeing a loss. I might up my calories a little bit to TDEE -15% to see if that will get things going a little faster. I would be thrilled with 1/2 pound loss a week so that is my goal. Believe me, I'm right there with you!
  • wooface
    wooface Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello! Simple answer is yes. The last 10 are the hardest. I've been reading a lot about it, as I am almost there myself.

I agree with the comments of increasing your calories based on your BMR and TDEE.

I used to be on a 1200 a day diet, but I started to get dizzy and the scale was not moving an inch. I calculated my TDEE and found out that I should be eating no less than 1400 a day. The scale has started to move again, and I'm not dizzy.

I have also been listening to the Jillian Michaels Podcast (some can't stand her, I know!), and she also recommends increasing your calories in line with TDEE in order to shift the last ten pounds. She also explained that the last ten-pounds are the hardest because our body likes that extra bit of cushion... as we are ladies, and it will help if we get pregnant :)

I hope this is helps :) Kate

Oh and I am right there with you too!!
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'll let know. That's what I'm trying to do lol!

Seriously though, it makes sense that it should take longer because you lose lbs faster at a higher weight. That's why weight loss contests are based on % of weight loss instead of actual lbs. lost.

That being said, I think some of it is mental. I know that I've been slacking off because I've got trackers coming out the wazoo telling me every day. It's like I'm testing out maintenance mode early. Today, I began increasing my activity again. I also know I need to up the intensity to something that feels challenging. I'll see how that works out.
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been at this weight for about three months, and yes it is a little disheartening BUT I've been focusing more on inches and how I feel..... Honestly I'm looking forward to being able to GAIN weight from muscle being put on, I would love to look 20lbs lighter than what I really am ^_^
  • Soontobethinlindsay
    Options
    Man, it feels awesome to know I am not alone! I knew that I wasn't going that off track! I agree that 1300 calories is very low so I always try to work out so I actually get to eat around 1600. I know thats still low in the long run so I am going to quit being hard on myself! I have read a lot of advice on upping calories and I am sick of feeling so shaky! Looks like patience is a virtue here :)
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am go glad that i found this post. I just weighed myself this morning and was up 1 pound from Saturday's weight. I only have 10 pounds to lose like a lot of you, and this does get frustrating. It is nice, however, to know that I am not the only one and that eventually those last 10 pounds will go away. I am grateful that my clothes are fitting better.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I only had about 33 to lose this time around from 153 to 120. I lost steady until I hit 130 then didn't budge for 15 days. I then ate out of my norm for a week or so and dropped 4 lbs in 7 days and went back to my 1-2 lbs loss after. So I had this idea that the last ten were going to be difficult to lose because of what I was reading but really I didn't notice much difference after the 2 week stall.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    very simple

subtract 10lb from your goal weight. i would set my goal to be 185. that way once i get to 195 and cant lose those 10lbs its not a big deal cause i really wanted 195.

may thank me later
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    In the same boat. Had a an older gentleman mention to me at the gym the other day that I've lost weight since a year ago. I replied that I actually weigh the same, just have built up muscle. Would LOVE to be 10 lbs less, but keep my tone.
  • KnifeThrower89
    Options
    Ever consider that many of you include workout in your schedules? Last time I checked muscled carried weight and when your close to your goal you'll probably start to gain more muscle mass which would cause the "fat" to drop but the weight to stay.

So what weight you would have lost in fat was made up in muscle. now I am no expert but I would TAPE yourself to get your body fat measurements to confirm
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    very simple

subtract 10lb from your goal weight. i would set my goal to be 185. that way once i get to 195 and cant lose those 10lbs its not a big deal cause i really wanted 195.

may thank me later

lol very tricky, sir. I guess that's kind of what I did since my goal is to be in the 130s, and I've been in the 130s for 7 months, my last ten pounds are really more of a bonus. :wink: But what if you're stuck at 195 and your body composition isn't where you'd like it to be and then you think you decide you would like to lose that bonus ten after all? trouble! :tongue:
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    very simple

may thank me later

lol very tricky, sir. I guess that's kind of what I did since my goal is to be in the 130s, and I've been in the 130s for 7 months, my last ten pounds are really more of a bonus. :wink: But what if you're stuck at 195 and your body composition isn't where you'd like it to be and then you think you decide you would like to lose that bonus ten after all? trouble! :tongue:

then dont worry about your weight as much as what you can do to tone things up

im smarter than the average bear :)
  • MzRealMaFigz
    Options
    LOL....love this haha
    very simple

may thank me later
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    After the 13 pounds I lost, I reached my initial goal (which I didn't really expect to happen anytime soon anyway. Then I realized maybe I can get down to 130 like I wanted. Why not? It seems to be happening....suddenly....after week to week success....nada!

I am working with weights so I told myself to ignore the scale. I figure if these last 5 pounds even take 5 months, at least it will be happening in a healthy way and stay off! I am not a patient person by any means and any time I'm near a scale I check. Sometimes I just feel like eating a whole chocolate cake by myself because it probably wont make a difference anyway! LOL but I know it will happen, as I am sure it will happen for you!