Are parfaits healthy?

Options
They are super delicious, and easy to make, but I'm wondering if they are healthy? I make them with half a cup of fat free plain greek yogurt, 1/4 of granola, 100g of Strawberries, and 1/2 of mixed raspberries and blueberries. This comes out to being around 261 calories, so I just mark 275 on mfp, just in case, although I do weight everything

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Sure sounds better than a 275-calorie candy bar! Seriously- yes, yours sounds pretty healthy as long as you're watching the sugar and fat content of the granola. I've looked at the labels of the ready-made parfaits in airport shops and other places and they're pretty scary. but when you make your own you can be more selective.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    They're fine, I don't put as much granola as yours though (maybe 15g). When you buy store-bought ones it's usually worse because they use full fat yogurt, often vanilla yogurt, so it's even more added sugar. I had one at the airport a month ago and it was 350 calories or something, which could have been worse.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    They are super delicious, and easy to make, but I'm wondering if they are healthy? I make them with half a cup of fat free plain greek yogurt, 1/4 of granola, 100g of Strawberries, and 1/2 of mixed raspberries and blueberries. This comes out to being around 261 calories, so I just mark 275 on mfp, just in case, although I do weight everything

Protein, fiber, carbs and micronutrients. Sounds healthy to me.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a breakfast.

Not a pedant, don't care about anything, but to me parfait is a dessert with cream +/- custard +/- jelly + fruit.
  • bgraz1994
    bgraz1994 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That sounds healthy to me :) I make them all the time with plain yogurt, chopped almonds (instead of granola) and then mixed berries.
  • traveler82
    traveler82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your eating for? If your having that as a meal then it sounds great, as a snack its a little on the high side of calories. While full of all wonderful nutrients, a difficulty that often occurs is that while you measure the first one, as time goes on maybe you dont measure anymore, and the size increases. That is where the trouble lies, the calories can shoot up in a blink of an eye.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If its good enough for Shrek and Donkey.....
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If its good enough for Shrek and Donkey.....

I ain't never met someone who don't like parfait.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    They are super delicious,

I got this far into your topic, and I want one. So yes, they are healthy because I want it in my belly. ^^IIFYM