Week 1 Floor to Couch is Killing Me - Why?

Options
A friend and I have been doing what we jokingly called "Floor to Couch" since January, working our way up to doing the *actual* Couch to 5k program. For the last two weeks I've been doing intervals on the treadmill - 1 minute running at 4 mph, then 2 minutes walking at 2 mph. It's been hard but I've been able to do it and I'm not exhausted after.

Today I went out to the running path to do week 1 of the Couch to 5k, the 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking - and I couldn't do it. The best I could do on the running was 50 seconds, and I wasn't able to recover in the 90 seconds (okay, 100 seconds) walking. Why did I get such different results outside than when I did it on the treadmill?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Chances are you're running much faster outside than on the treadmill, try slowing down a tad and see if that helps. It's also different because you don't have the treadmill propelling your forward, and breathing while running outside can be a big adjustment as well.
  • nicholelwolfe88
    nicholelwolfe88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Another factor that is contributing is also that running outside, most likely, it is not a flat surface. Even if it looks relatively flat, most likely you are walking/running up and down some kind of slope. Running uphill takes A LOT more energy and exhausts you twice as fast as running on a flat treadmill. Most treadmills come with an elevation setting. If yours is set at no higher than the "1" setting, you're running on a flat surface. If you hike the treadmill's elevation up, you will notice that running becomes much more difficult. in order to train to run outside, you should probably consider gradually moving your treadmill's elevation up to help train yourself to run/walk on hills. Good luck with your "Couch to 5k program!
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    you should definitely slow down. I've been doing the c25k, am in week 7 and don't run faster than a 11 minute mile (5mph). (I'm actually usually slower than that ... 12 or 13 min/mi).

Also, think about your breathing. At a fast pace, it should be breathe in two, breathe out two.

It is summertime. At what time of the day are you running? Is there humidity where you are? All of these are going to be factors. BUT! I know you can do this. Try W1D1 again the next time you go ... I bet you do better than you did the first time!!

good luck!
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K on the treadmill once and had worked up to a pretty good time for the 5k on the treadmill on a slight incline. When I went outside and tried to jog slowly, I could barely make it a half mile. IMO it's a different world outside. Really though, you shouldn't worry about it too much. You're getting healthier whether you do it on the treadmill or outside. Just keep pushing yourself a little bit with every workout and your fitness level will continue to improve.

:flowerforyou: Good for you for your effort! Don't give up! It doesn't get easier but you'll get stronger and more awesome so it will feel easier.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It is summertime.

Seriously. I don't know where you live, but around here humidity is killer sometimes. (sort of all the time).

I agree with everybody else to slow down as well. Slow way down if you have to, the important thing is to get used to the act of running, not to go fast. Practice speed later or do sprints once a week to practice it.

I'm not doing C25k but I've been doing a slightly different program and it's working well, but some weeks you have setbacks. Much of the time they are mental (OMG I can't run 10 minutes!). At least that's the problem I had with C25k. It's also good to know that you can repeat a week if you want to/need to.
  • bfinup
    bfinup Posts: 47
    Options
    Also running on a treadmill is going to be easier than running outside as the treadmill kind if "propels" you along where as outside you have to use more power to propel yourself
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - you probably need to slow down. Go as slow as you can, because it's a lot easier to speed up later if you have the energy than it is to slow down after you've already exhausted yourself! And running outside is harder than a treadmill. Just give yourself some time to adjust and keep at it!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I agree with people that said slow down- since you're always leaving me in the dust! ;)
  • thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! (esp. ZombieEarhart - you have seen me run!) The heat and humidity is probably a factor as well as speed, even though it wasn't that hot when I was out this morning (around 75 degrees). I have been setting the treadmill to a 4% average incline - I think I might up that to 6% for now to build up endurance.