not enough calories?

Options
I enter in what i eat each night before bed. The last few nights though i am falling way under my suggested daily calories. Like i'm only getting 1000- 1300 and should be getting 1500. I've always heard it was bad to eat less than 1500 calories in a day but i don't FEEL like i'm starving myself. Is this bad? I mean i'm getting in three meals. Breakfast is usually just fruit and water, maybe a yogurt too, lunch i eat a small portion of the last evenings supper and then i have a sensible supper each night usually a good 400-500 calories in itself. I'm not a big snacker, maybe some pretzels.

any advice?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    your body needs 1200 just to function, the MFP number already has a deficit built in, you need to find heathy things to eat to get near your calories goal the page gives you
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Maybe incorporate some protein in your breakfast like an egg, cheese or meat. it is not real healthy to continually go under 1200 calories. Hope that helps!
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely suggest eating a larger breakfast. I always try to include wholegrains; good fats; fiber and protein for a kickstart to my day and my metabolism.

I've recently discovered the "Fabulousness" of cooked-from-scratch oats <3 and I love eggs (veggie omelettes are winners) and nut butter on anything! This morning I had rolled oats and chia seeds cooked with half milk, half water and an egg whisked into it before cooking. I added raisins, green apple & cinnamon for a breakfast that seriously tasted like dessert.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: you need 1200 calories a day just to give basic nutrition to your body---more if you are larger and/or exercise a lot........plan your food before you eat it so you can see how many calories you'll consume during the day, then you can add more protein or whatever nutrients you need to make your day complete......don't fall into the trap of adding empty calories just to reach a certain number.....also start your day with a good breakfast :bigsmile:
  • wahtusi
    wahtusi Posts: 4
    Options
    make sure you are writing down everything you eat as you are eating. waiting till the end of the evening and trying to remember everything is impossible. also you are definately not eating enough for breakfast. just a piece of fruit doesnt cut it. need some fiber and protein to stay nourished thru out the day. i have a half of a english muffin w almond butter and a tsp of honey, a half of banana and a plum or peach for breakfast and i am full for 4 hours. dont forget to drink all your water thru out the day. plus a healthy salad would be a great addition to lunch or dinner. good luck!
  • Van3ssa_2468
    Van3ssa_2468 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Have a bigger breakfast and eat your fruit or yogurt for snack.
    I log as I eat to better gauge where I am at. My fear is going over, not under.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Particularly on work days, I enter my planned meals the night before (or early in the morning, depending on when I pack my lunch), then edit them as and if needed....like if I don't eat my apple, or if I have a Hershey's kiss..... that way, I've both got a plan and have made a public statement. It's easier for me to eat within my allotment, and I'm not too hungry to make a good decision later in the day.

It also gives me a chance to balance nutrients throughout the day (though today was high in sodium....)
  • Debhow
    Debhow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, so I was glad to see your question. I end up with 300-400 calories short, but am maxed in the other categories and don't know what to eat that just gives me the calories. Carrots?
  • Hannesfit
    Hannesfit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll have to become a morning eater and get that better breakfast in.........THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP

HEATHER
  • Hannesfit
    Options
    I have the same problem, so I was glad to see your question. I end up with 300-400 calories short, but am maxed in the other categories and don't know what to eat that just gives me the calories. Carrots?

same here, I'm always right at or even over on my protein most days.
  • Hannesfit
    Options
    ok so for breakfast today I had potato, onion and pepper egg scramble, a small glass of milk and a piece of wheat toast....total calories 292 and i feel much better than if i had only eaten the piece of fruit and the yogurt. I'm going to save those for my mid morning snack.

Thanks again all.