Pescetarian needing help!

Options
Hi all!

I've been pescetarian for almost a year now, but have notice recently that my diet is based almost entirely around carbs!
Don't get me wrong I eat tonnes of vegetables and soup, and I have protein covered as I live off of fish! But I almost always have a rice/pasta/potato based meal.

Any other pescetarians out there that have any simple meal suggestions that aren't quite as carb heavy??

Replies

• smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Make the fish or other protein the star of your meals. Think of rice/potatoes/pasta as side courses, and the fish or other protein as your main course.

I'm not a pescetarian, but I do eat fish often. Salmon sashimi over a bed of spinach with a small serving of brown rice is my favorite delicious light lunch or dinner. Tuna mixed with avocado and vinegar in a salad of tomato/spinach or other mixed greens/green onion is delicious.
  • JesT23
    JesT23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a pescetarian but I do eat fish more than any other protein. My standard dinner plate is 75% vegetables and 25% fish because I don't eat simple carbs after lunch and I rarely eat more than 80g of carbs in a day. My go-to dinner is 5 oz of Salmon with 3 or 4 cups of roasted asparagus, broccoli and mushrooms. I just toss all the veggies with a tablespoon of olive oil and bake them next to the fish for 20 mins at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't even miss rice, pasta, or potatoes anymore. I get my complex carbs from legumes (specifically chickpeas), fruits, vegetables and 1 or 2 servings of fresh baked rye bread. I make sure to eat the bread before 2 PM assuming I go to bed around 11 PM. This way my body has time to utilize the carbs before I sleep.

edited to differentiate carb types
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Plate: More fish. More vegetables. Less of the carbs/carbs optional.

Job done.
  • jeyloz
    jeyloz Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Add more green veggies to your diet. Kale, spinach, broccoli, asparagus.. and other veggies too. If you are going to have pasta or rice have brown rice and whole grain pasta. Or even gluten free pastas etc made of almond/coconut/rice flours. I just read an article that people who limit carb intake to 60-80g per day have less disease and it lowers your change of having dementia related diseases. I need to cut down on my carbs/sugar intake a lot too... noticed I eat quite a bit of it lately.