Any carb counters? Diabetic query...

Options
I'm just wondering how many carbs people aim to eat? I'm trying out a new regime with my diabetes but still wanting to lose weight. I'm averaging 200 a day the last couple of days since I started this plan but my sugar levels have stablised nicely.

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering how many carbs people aim to eat? I'm trying out a new regime with my diabetes but still wanting to lose weight. I'm averaging 200 a day the last couple of days since I started this plan but my sugar levels have stablised nicely.
    I'm diabetic and count my carbs. I rarely eat more than 75g a day of carbohydrate. Most days is under 60g. The ONLY times I eat more carbohydrate is when doing endurance exercise - ie: cycling more than 100km.
  • pamsgottalose
    pamsgottalose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am new to Carb counting. Just trying to lose weight. I try for under 100. Hope it will work.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and count my carbs. I rarely eat more than 75g a day of carbohydrate. Most days is under 60g. The ONLY times I eat more carbohydrate is when doing endurance exercise - ie: cycling more than 100km.

albertabeefy, Are those net carbs, or total carbs?
    I am also counting carbs to regulate blood sugar. I was limiting intake to 75g total carbs, but feel my fiber intake is too low. I'm playing with the idea of tracking net carbs instead.
    Shari
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

less than half that.

200g of carbs is 800 calories so probably 40% or more of your daily intake.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    My mom is a diabetic and controls it with diet. Every morning she has an english muffin with cheese for breakfast. Mixing your proteins and carbs will make a difference. Also, when she adds a new meal to their diet, she'll check her sugar about an hour after to see if it's a keeper or not. She still enjoys pasta's and breads. It's just how she mixes them with other foods that makes a difference.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My goal is 25% carbs, which at 1500 calories works out to be 94g. You really should aim for whatever works for you. If I ate 200g carbs per day, my blood sugar would be too high most of the time, but others might be able to get away with it.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My goal is set to 239 carb a day but I am usually around 80-100, I don't eat bread at all and no cakes. It's easier:)

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]37367090.png[/url]
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic, and last year before I got pregnant, I was averaging 25g-50g per day and I was drug free (no insulin or metformin). When I got pregnant, I stayed at 50g until I was put on insulin in 2nd trimester. When baby was born I went to 100g for breastfeeding. When she weans, I'll pop back down to 50g-75g
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have my carbs set at about 60, any more than that and my blood sugar spikes and bottoms out during the night.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am new to Carb counting. Just trying to lose weight. I try for under 100.

I'm not diabetic and I've been doing the same. Some days 50g, some days 90g. (some days are right out).
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Hey, ideal for sugar sensitive should be less than 100 g per day, the lesser, the better - but it gives quick energy - so cannot be abysmally low as well. I guess 60-80 g range mentioned here seems optimum. But if you eat as high as 200, then it will be difficult at one go to reduce. Try reducing gradually. I would actually see my macros - and ensure that carb:protein:fat proportion is 40:30:30 for ideal situation. However, as I said, it will have to be gradual... check proportion of carbs (out of carbs, proteins and fats) and try to reduce it slowly by 5% per week, and increase the gap with proteins...
  • Kattzmeow51
    Options
    Bumpity-Bump:smile:
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Diabetic here. I try to stay under 50 total or 35 net carbs for the day. According to my meter, I can eat very very few carbs in the morning, but can handle some for lunch and more for dinner without raising BGs above 120.
  • Sardauker
    Sardauker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just trying to lose weight, I eat as few carb as I can.

Carbs help fat to store in your body.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    200 is a LOT of carbs to me. My sugars would be nuts on that. I was eating 80-100 carbs and a lot of protein and barely losing weight even while working out like crazy. My goal is to get the weight OFF and hopefully reduce or drop the metformin! I did a lot of research and landed on the low carb, high fat diet. I am dropping weight nicely and have never felt better (I am 58). My BS are below 100, even after meals.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I aim to keep my carbs at 25% of my total daily intake. Most days I'm pretty close. Exercise actually has a bigger impact on my glucose than my carb consumption though. I can definitely tell the days I exercise vs. the ones I don't by my glucose levels. That cannot always be said for my carb consumption. However, I feel best when my carbs are around 25% AND I exercise.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I try and keep it under 100g a day...but even if I hit 150g, i don't consider it a blow out. anything over 150g was a bad day. I also minus my fiber from my carbs to get NET carbs.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether or not you're Type I or Type 2, and where along in the disease you are.

I'm diagnosed T2, was given metformin, still had pretty high A1c, so I started to control it by diet. I personally try to eat less than 25g net carb per day, and am currently looking at dropping that even a little lower (around the 10g-15g mark).

Doing this for a sustained period will put your body in a state of nutritional ketosis -- note, that this is different than diabetic ketoacidosis (though if you are insulin dependent, you should presumably consult a doctor before doing it). It's a metabolic state where your body switches over to burning ketones (a byproduct of fat metabolism) as its primary fuel, instead of glucose.

So, dietarily, I tend to eat a diet around 65/30/5 fat to protein to carbohydrate. I'm considering bumping it up to around 80/18/2, but we'll see how it goes.

But, to answer your question, yes, I'm pretty strict about counting carbs. :)
  • LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The dietician has eating up to 45 for a meal and up to 30 for a snack. Any food that has 5 grams of fiber or more I can subtract that amount of carbs from the total for net carbs. I hope that makes sense. I am only 5'2" and she has it set up for my size and activity level so yours could be more carbs. I have been diabetic for 19 years and take insulin.
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs between 75 & 120 grams per day. Just remember that your body changes your carb to sugar for fuel for your body. So you need to track both your carb & sugar intake.