new member advice needed

Options
I am new to this site and have only started today. My daily calories should be 1850 as i have set it to lose 1.5 lbs per week. I lost 28lbs last year through going to the gym everyday and eating healthily however i have remained at 182 lbs for the best part of a year even though i exercise every day. Usually when i am dieting i dont eat regular 3 meals per day - just lunch and dinner and maybe a snack at night. I am however trying to change this based on my goals. My problem is that i have earned 1095 calories from my gym session this moring and adding that to my tracker means that my calorie intake today should be 2945!!! I am struggling to eat the 1850 never mind 2945. Can anyone give me advice on this and why i have to eat my exercise calories? thanks

Replies

• thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Read through the posts to newbies to best advise you about why you should eat them. I would give you a run down but am very limited on time this morning.

I did want to respond to say... try eating back a portion of your exercise calories you don't have t eat them all. Do you have a HRM? If not the calories you burned at the gym are only an estimation anyways.

Best of luck!
  • mrsg26
    mrsg26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    the thread starter is actually my husband - i encouraged him to log his daily food and exercise as he needs educated on what he is actually consuming daily. I am set up to eat 1200 calories per day and sometimes he will say "you dont need to eat anything else tonight" even when i have only eaten 1000 calories!! As far as he is concerned weight loss is about eating less and exercising more however he doesnt understand that in order to lose weight he actually needs to eat more to boost his metabolism and weight loss. today for the first time he has eaten breakfast as he normally just eats lunch after his workout. Was hoping that someone else could explain how it works to him as he is a bit sceptical! thanks
  • jasimpson
    jasimpson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might be working on a double negative....I know that sounds funny but here it is in simple terms! Your body requires a specific amount of fuel to function in a sedentary state, when you exercise it increases the need for fuel. When you go to the extreme either direction, too much or not enough, the body goes into panic mode and stores fat. When the glucose created by the food you eat is used up, the body starts to naw on lean muscle which in turn creates added stress factors which leads to other issues that sometimes don't show up right away, but they will :) Anyway, the key is balance! If you are having a hard time eating the calories, try cutting back on the intensity of your exercise. Overtraining can be just as bad as for you as overeating. Have you ever heard of people going on vacation and panicking because they blew their diets and just knew they had gained weight while they were gone only to find out that they had actually lost as much as they thought they had gained? Find your personal balance and you will find they key :) Hope this helps....good luck!