Doctor says 1500 calories is too drastic

Options
I had my physical today and told her how many calories I'm on and I told her 1750 and asked if that's healthy. She said that's fine as long as you don't go under 1500, that is too drastic.

Replies

• VegKate
    VegKate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My physician said the same thing, she told me it would be unhealthy to eat less than 1500.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you both have doctors who paid attention in nutrition class :drinker:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist told me 1200 was fine. I have since dumped her because she was horrible.
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    Sounds like you both have doctors who paid attention in nutrition class :drinker:
    This!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    They sound like sensible doctors.
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    Your Dr. Didn't spend 9 yrs in Medical school just for Fun.
    Listen to your Dr.
  • autumnpath
    autumnpath Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Mine told me the same thing. I wanted to slap her at the time...but I've since come to my senses!
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Did the docs say why? How tall are you both? I'm wondering because I'm just under 5"4" and can't seem to stay below 1300 cals - I just like eating too much. My weight loss has been REAL slow, and was considering going even lower if I could stand it. I walk about 5-6 times a week for about an hour at a pretty fast pace and hope that's helping.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Listen to your Dr.

I know that's right.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    This!

Agreed....
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Listen to your Dr.

I thought medical school was 8 years. Maybe that extra year was for fun :)
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Listen to your Dr.

I know that's right.

I understand the 9 year medical school thing, but I've always understood that although they have all that schooling, very little is actually applied specifically towards nutrition, which is why there is a Nutritionist specialty, although maybe my misunderstanding may be wrong.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Not from my dr but my trainer told me 1500 ESP with what I was doing at the gym.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight, not a lot, slowly, since I upped my calories to around 1,500 a day.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I used to try 1200 and it was nearly impossible even when eating almost entirely clean and vegan. I almost always felt hungry, too. Now I try to stay around 1500-1700. Even if my weight loss is slow, it's more likely I'll stick to it longer because after a few weeks of less I'd get too burnt out.
  • kaykaylaws
    Options
    how heavy and/or tall are all of you? if you don't mind me asking. i'm at 150 and 5'4. should I still be coming in at 1200?
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Listen to your Dr.

If your doctor spent 9 years in med school, I would recommend getting a different doctor. Med school is 4 years max.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I used to try 1200 and it was nearly impossible even when eating almost entirely clean and vegan. I almost always felt hungry, too. Now I try to stay around 1500-1700. Even if my weight loss is slow, it's more likely I'll stick to it longer because after a few weeks of less I'd get too burnt out.

Slow and steady wins this race every time.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Listen to your Dr.

If your doctor spent 9 years in med school, I would recommend getting a different doctor. Med school is 4 years max.

I think they were talking med school + residency + fellowship = 9 years.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Listen to your Dr.

I think they were talking med school + residency + fellowship = 9 years.

Different animal entirely. And if you had your physical, it was probably with a family physician or internist, who is internship + 2 years of residency which is only 7 years not 9.

And what they cover on nutrition in med school you could put in a thimble and still have room for Andre the Giant's thumb.

Nada. Zip. Zilch. I'm sure it may be discussed some in training for Endocrinology, and maybe a lecture or two at most for Family docs and internists, but that's it. No more. People on these forums have read as much as your average doc who have no interest in diet and nutritition. Sorry but that's the way it is.