Scumbag brain after a workout???

Options
bzign
bzign Posts: 41 Member
Does anyone else have a totally crazy episode after a workout? I mean the opposite of the endorphins I hear about.
If I go for a walk or have a workout at the gym and for some reason I get really angry snappy and aggressive. Tonights gem was an hour of meltdown, tears and emotional distress.
I can only think its some sort of hormone dump/ overload, thats what it feels like anyway ....... irrational to say the least!
Potentially it might have something to do with me just starting to exercise in the last few weeks.

Curious if anyone else has come across this reaction.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are having that reaction. I know there are plenty of people that have that also. I would not say its unusual.

I'm quite the opposite though. I want to do naughty stuff in the worse way...
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Suggestions:

It gives you time to think, instead of pushing thoughts away with daily activity.

You're tired, so less likely to be able to suppress emotions.

Your blood sugar is a little low.

Try carrying a small snack/protein drink in your bag and have that as you finish your workout. If that makes you feel better, then that'll answer the problem.

And sometimes, you just don't get that rush, even if you usually do. There are good and bad sessions; you may have just caught the less enjoyable ones at first.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of that. I tend to get that 'I'm freaking awesome' ego after a run but that's about it. Maybe because you just started?

Another thought: Maybe you are really stressed and when you exercise it gives you the ability to release your stressed out emotions?
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Not UN-common but, I'd get something to eat, maybe you are hungry.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that reaction. I mostly feel like I have no problems, and everything in the entire world is going to be ok. I wish I could always feel like that.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I haven't had quite that reaction, but when I first started working out I would feel defeated and tired after my workouts. That however, quickly changed into the feeling of happiness and quite honestly, all out awesomeness after a particularly intense workout.

All that being said, I think you should be aware of whether or not you're eating enough, and or sleeping enough. Our bodies need fuel and rest to function. I know that if I am tired or hungry then I can be quite emotional.
  • bzign
    bzign Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought of low blood sugar, being diabetic I don't generally have low ever. Under nourished could be a factor.
    Thanks everyone :-)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're hangry.
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've also experienced this usually with headaches and dizziness. Eat something, with carbs,protein and fats. Maybe a little sugar.
  • missyj1115
    missyj1115 Posts: 1,220 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are having that reaction. I know there are plenty of people that have that also. I would not say its unusual.

THIS, THIS, THIS :) HAHAHHAHHHAAAHHAAHAHHAHHA
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, that sounds like hypoglycemia to me. As a diabetic, you need to be really careful about your blood sugar levels while working out or doing any activity above and beyond normal daily stuff. The main energy source used by muscles is glucose so when you get a good workout in, your stores are being depleted and your blood sugar can drop pretty quickly.

I would highly recommend talking to your doctor about how you shoud proceed as precautions taken will depend on the type you have and how you regulate it. Be careful!
  • missyj1115
    missyj1115 Posts: 1,220 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with many of the posts that have stated hunger as the culprit! That is were I would start, make sure
    you are getting enough and enough of the right foods!!

I tend to get giddy and as Chief mentioned wanting to do naughty things :) (not sure why but man it get's me HOT after
    an amazing burn)!!!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought of low blood sugar, being diabetic I don't generally have low ever. Under nourished could be a factor.
    Thanks everyone :-)

If you're T1/using insulin, pay extra attention, as you may need to recalculate doses. You don't want a hypo.

If T2, as I understand it, anyhow, just be aware that it's a possibility. If you start shivering or shaking, that's another clue.

Either way, if you've got a monitor, try checking BS both before and after exercise and see what happens.
  • jbeanv
    jbeanv Posts: 32 Member
    Options

LOL at this!!
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Im always grouchy and exhausted for the rest of the day, which is why I only exercise at night. Otherwise im falling asleep everywhere and snapping at people,, or yelling at toasters for not toasting things fast enough. This seems to especially be a problem when I do cardio. Im nasty after cardio.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

THIS, THIS, THIS :) HAHAHHAHHHAAAHHAAHAHHAHHA

Seconded!
  • vals83
    vals83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Can't say that I've had this experience totally. But I do find that if I can't eat right after my workout i turn in to turbo b***h. Lot of people are saying low blood sugar which could in fact be the case. i have had melt downs when my blood sugar hit rock bottom. To the point I was sitting in the middle of the chip aisle stuffing my face with Cheetos sobbing. My boyfriend had to talk me out of finishing the whole bag.

A Banana an hour before your workout and a protein drink within 40 minutes after should help you out.