Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Capturing boot camp exercise data?

Anyone else know how to categorize boot camp data when logging exercise? I'm fairly new here and I do boot camp classes 4X a week. They are an hour long. I'm not sure how to categorize or capture that exercise. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance!
Shrinking as fast and as healthily as I can!
Stephanie a.k.a. "watercolorarteest"

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Is it the typical boot camp where you're constantly moving with bursts of cardio mixed in with bodyweight strength training, leaving you a weak puddle of sweat at near death?

I'd log it as circuit training :)
  • watercolorarteest
    watercolorarteest Posts: 68 Member
    Is it the typical boot camp where you're constantly moving with bursts of cardio mixed in with bodyweight strength training, leaving you a weak puddle of sweat at near death?

YUP! that would be the one! LOL... I puddle after the warmup! LOL! Okay, I've been using circuit training, but the calorie count is so high on MFP, I was afraid I picked the wrong representative exercise. :)
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    You might want to look into getting a hear rate monitor so you can get a better estimate of how many calories you are burning in bootcamp. When I was going bootcamp, depending on the routine, I'd burn anywhere between 400 to 750 calories. The circuit training calories suggested by MFP were significantly lower (at least for me).
  • ShannonMpls

YUP! that would be the one! LOL... I puddle after the warmup! LOL! Okay, I've been using circuit training, but the calorie count is so high on MFP, I was afraid I picked the wrong representative exercise. :)

I know that HRMs aren't always the most accurate, but for what it's worth, mine NEVER reports a higher calorie burn than the one it gives me for boot camp.

I'd still eat exercise calories with caution, as always, but I think this will give you a ballpark.
  • gazrec
    gazrec Posts: 38 Member
    i do bootcamp 3x a week our personal trainer predicts we burn between 800-1000 cals i log mine as circuit training and boxercise, hope that helps
  • watercolorarteest
    watercolorarteest Posts: 68 Member
    Thanks everyone for responding. HRMs have been mentioned... any particular brand recommended?
  • ShannonMpls
    Thanks everyone for responding. HRMs have been mentioned... any particular brand recommended?

Polar - the Ft4 or Ft7 at the lower end, F40 or f60 for a few more bells and whistles.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    I've been pretty happy with my Polar FT7.
  • ilvme
    ilvme Posts: 12 Member
    I was wondering the same thing! Thanks!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Don't bother, HR data is meaningless for what you describe.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Secconding

Don't bother, HR data is meaningless for what you describe.