question about expiration date

Options
leomom72
leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
im making cole slaw for my church picnic this weekend, and i didnt bother to buy mayo because i have a LARGE unopened jar in the cabinet. today i looked at the expiration date, and it says best if used by nov 25 2012. is it still ok to eat ? i dont want to make a dish and have 100 or so people get sick from it. if it is still ok, how long will it last in the fridge after opened? thanks. everyone have a great day !

Replies

• jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    pitch the h*** out of that mess
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Probably not, not with mayo and not that long. I would throw it out. I had food poisoning once. It was a horrible, expensive experience and not worth the price of a mayo jar.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Mayo is scary ..... typically it has eggs in it. I would pitch it.

How about a slaw without mayo?

Asian Slaw
    1 bunch (6 large) scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
    2 (16-ounce) bags coleslaw mix or 1 (16-ounce) bag each of shredded green and shredded red cabbage
    1 small red onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (from about a 1-inch piece)
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
    2 teaspoons sesame seeds, optional
    1 teaspoon salt
    20 grinds black pepper
  • leomom72
    Options
    thanks so far all !! as far as the asian slaw, money is tight this week, and i cant afford all those ingredients i never use, like ginger, sesame seeds, and sesame oil..thanks tho :smile:
  • leomom72
    Options
    i just thought of something..i could use ranch, or look up alternatives for mayo..duh !!:tongue:
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Make your own mayo. It's super easy and cheap. Plus, there are no mystery ingredients.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/homemade-mayonnaise-recipe/index.html
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    For the most part, those expiration dates are about taste and texture, not safety. Personally, I'd open it and smell and taste it. If it tasted OK I'd use it. But not serve it to other people. If you get yourself sick, oh well. If you get 50 people sick, you are on the hook for damages.
  • leomom72
    Options
    Make your own mayo. It's super easy and cheap. Plus, there are no mystery ingredients.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/homemade-mayonnaise-recipe/index.html
    thanks, i will look into it :smile:
  • leomom72
    Options
    For the most part, those expiration dates are about taste and texture, not safety. Personally, I'd open it and smell and taste it. If it tasted OK I'd use it. But not serve it to other people. If you get yourself sick, oh well. If you get 50 people sick, you are on the hook for damages.
    yeah, thats what im worried about..i still dont want myself or my family to get sick tho :wink: