Working out. Short but more frequently or longer and less?

Options
Is it better to work out every day for shorter amount of time or maybe 3 - 4 times a week but longer?

Will the person who works out 6 days a week for 30 minutes get the same results (in the same time frame) as the person who works out 3 day a week for one hour. So they work out the same amount of time. What is better option in your opinion?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't think one is necessarily "better" than the other. Results are mainly going to come from diet (in terms of weight/fat loss), not the exercise you choose. You could probably exercise with more intensity for 30 minutes than you could for 60. The key is consistency. Do whichever you're more likely to stick with.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It is better to work out every other day to allow your body to recover. Doing 60 minutes of cardio every other day is better than 30 minutes every day, because 60 minutes of non-stop workout is much more taxing and represents higher endurance. If you can run for 60 minutes three times a week, you most certainly can run 60 minutes 7 times a week if necessary. Running 30 minutes every day is no guarantee that you can do it 60 minutes straight.
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say, I'm thinking about weight exercises.

Because I'm at my goal weight and I'm maintaining. But I want to tone up. So I'm debating if I should work out (just with weights) 30 minutes 5-6 days a week (i will have at leas one day free) or I should work out 3 day a week for longer (for example one hour) .
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Because I'm at my goal weight and I'm maintaining. But I want to tone up. So I'm debating if I should work out (just with weights) 30 minutes 5-6 days a week (i will have at leas one day free) or I should work out 3 day a week for longer (for example one hour) .

The most popular weight lifting programs like Stronglifts 5x5 and 5/3/1 are done with a rest day between sessions, so about 3 days a week.
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options

The most popular weight lifting programs like Stronglifts 5x5 and 5/3/1 are done with a rest day between sessions, so about 3 days a week.

And how long is one workout?
    I'm doing Jillian Michael No more trouble zones which is all weight exercises. It lasts about one hour and she recommends it 5 days a week. I think that's a little too much so I thought I would split the exercises in half and alternate first and last 30 minutes of the DVD. So i would work out every day 30 minutes with 2 days off.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Nothing JM has is really strength training. It's cardio with weights. When doing a lifting program, it's not about the time spent, it's about the exercises done and the weights/reps lifted. Get The new Rules of Lifting or the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Or check out Jamie Eason's LiveFit or Starting Strength or any other number of basic beginning strength programs. If you do 3 days a week, you'd be looking at a total body program. If you want to go every day, you'd do a body part split, or at least an upper/lower split. Muscle groups need at least 24 hours rest in between workouts to recover.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It obviously depends on your intensity level, but generally you want to keep your workouts under 45-60 minutes. Your stress hormone levels really increase after that period of time.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you want more definition and maintain endurance you will need to be doing both weight lifting/strength training and cardio.

Doing both will increase your endurance alongside your definition/tone and will give you a better overall look in my personal opinion.

There are workout programs that do both and give great results (check out beachbody products) and also you can create your own programs by reading/researching about it. I have the book "New Rules for Lifting for Women" which came at a strong recommendation to me and that was from a number of people that were giving me advice for the same thing you would like to do. So I would also suggest picking up that book and it is decently cheap to buy new or used.

Your routines should be able to fit your life, choose what you do have time for and can do and commit to it.
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For strength I recommend 2-3 days a week. Strength needs rest days! Also, if you follow a simple program, that is allowing you to max out your reps at a higher weights such as Stronglifts 5x5 or pyramid style lifting, you will find you won't be in the gym a full hour. On strength days I'm in and out in 30-45 minutes. You may even want to split your week up, upper body, core, and lower body; one on each day with at least one rest day in between.