Hello everybody, new chick!

Options
Today is the day I have decided to make a change. I am scared this will be another failed attempt but I have to try for myself and for my two small daughters because I know that they need me. I need as much support as I can get so is there anyone else looking for a friend for support? I am here!

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Hello... You do come first otherwise how do you be a great mother :--) welcome this site is awsome
  • Michellekoonce
    Options
    Welcome!! I'm new too. Good luck to you and we can do this together:happy:
  • slaughlin
    Options
    great to have you on here . You can add me as a friend if you would like .
  • catclewis
    Options
    We'll just have to keep motivated! Today is my first day on here too ..but more than that - Today is the first day of my new healthy lifestyle change! I have to do this....we all have to do this! My power is going to be in prayer and I know God will give me the strength!
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Hello & Welcome!! This is a great site with many useful tools that make it easy to see where we are doing good and where there is room for improvement. Plus there are so many support and friendly people here too! I have had many "failed" attempts too but have came to the point I realize I MUST do this and if I make one bad choice my whole program isn't failed. . .just jump right back in there as soon as possible, next meal is best, but if it's just been a bad day altogether don't let the next one become the same. Best of luck to you on this journey!!!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP! Congratulations on your decision to get fit. You sound very determined, and that's great! You'll find everyone on this site to be very positive, encouraging and motivating. Feel free to friend request me if you'd like. :)

Also, if you're on Facebook, please feel free to check out the group I created over there, called Motivation. Many positive, encouraging people over that way, too! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=268180696780&ref=ts

Best wishes on your fitness journey!

~ Chandra
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a newbie, too! =)
  • catclewis
    Options
    Question for all the weight loss pros :smile: How often do you weigh yourself?
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    good luck on the site! there is so much helpful information. i've been using this site for over a year (i got pregnant after i lost 10 lbs., so i had to take a break lol) but i've been back on the site for about 6 months and i couldn't love it more. the only time i actually lose weight is when i get on and log my calories. i hope you reach your goals for yourself and your children!:smile:
  • cmsimps27
    Options
    This won't be a failed attempt if you can keep up the motivation. NUMBER ONE thing in my opinion...there will be days when you go over your calories and you will feel disheartened....DONT! SPIT HAPPENS. Just track it and then let the next day be a new day. Keep your motivation and you can do anything....especially if your motivation is your girls! I believe in you and I know they do to!!
  • cmsimps27
    Options
    To answer how often to weigh yourself
    No more than once a week is what I have heard but I am by no means a pro lol
  • kdeaner
    kdeaner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I'm new too. Been using this site for a week now and love it!
  • bmayes
    bmayes Posts: 55
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great community of people. Everyone is SUPER supportive. I am always afraid of 'another failed attempt' - seems like it sinks you deeper into the sand, but YOU CAN DO THIS! Think of it as a lifestyle change not a DIET! You are working to have a healthy life forever - not just until you reach some magical number on the scale. So, just work daily to change the old habits that got you to this point and start creating new habits and you will succeed. I love this site!

Oh - and once a week weigh ins are best (in my humble opinion)
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    "Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." (Henry Ford)

You did not become over weight and out of shape over night, It's a long up hill road a head, I'm telling you from my own personal experience. set some small goals eating right taking long walks what ever works in to your life.

Stay healthy
  • KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm new too. Add me as a friend if you want to.I will send encouragement everytime you need it. :happy:
  • terry610246
    terry610246 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yeah hi everyone.

I didn't know which topic to post in so I picked the one with the most posts (apart from the 40+ women and whilst I can muster the years to qualify, I lack in other requisites).

I'm a newbie here too, and at 43 have spent too many years fuelling the downhill progress of my body, telling myself that "there's time to put it right". I figure that if I live to be 86, then I have now spent the partying years of my life and now its time to start the repair process, before it is too late.

I downloaded the iphone app for this site a few weeks ago and half heartedly started to use it. I tried out the web site sync on my Mac and soon found that there was quite a lot of useful stuff on here.
    The thing that impresses me most is the food database. I have been recently watching everything I eat and tailoring my diet very carefully for protein, carb and fat content, as well as vitamin and mineral intake. I want to lose some fat and build muscle, so everything that goes in me has to be exactly right. To achieve this i have been using things like USN protein shake and Performance power bars. Everything I search for is in there!

I have tried apps like this before and given up on them fairly quickly due to the poor database or one filled with american food brands. This one though is fantastic - you can tell they have really done their homework here. And this is all free. How cool is that!

I'm also using the Nike site to track my running progress (thanks to a clever gizmo in my shoe and my iphone).

I am using a mix of cardio and weights to put things right but I am still learning a lot. I'm not sure if I am allowed to recommend sites on here, but I found this one (nothing to do with me, I promise) and in really simple terms it explains how nutrition works.
    http://www.intense-workout.com
    This was the bit I needed to understand to put my diet back on track. If this post doesn't get removed for promoting other sites then I recommend a look as its has lots of useful info.

Anyway, thats my babble over. Good to see you all and good look with all your targets.

Terry
  • blackbsm
    blackbsm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I'm new as well, just joined last Friday, but I can already tell you...I LOVE IT!!! Having been overweight my whole life, I heard about this site from a co-worker, logged on & it was just like turning on a light switch. I knew it was time to make a major lifestyle change...for myself & for my teenage daughter. I want to be there for her on all the important days in her future & I want to be a grandmother someday & be able to truly enjoy my grandbabies.

I'm positive you will find this site extremely helpful & the people are awesome. They are very very supportive, even about the little things, and that is just what I need.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I am new to this page too, and while I am quite a bit older than you, I wanted to welcome you to the page and let you know that I will support you. It is scary, and I think I've found myself in this same place nearly every year for a while now - so I too understand the fear that this might be another failed attempt. But if you are determined to do it this time, this page can really help. It is a great resource, and the support that all provide is awesome as well.

Blessings

Vickie