Aldi's is owned by Trader Joe's!

Replies

• alheimurinn
    alheimurinn Posts: 25 Member
    Yeah I read that somewhere too. Actually, the article said that Trader Joe's is owned by a different division of Aldi's parent company. It also said that in Adli's stores overseas they sell Trader Joe's branded items!

As an American now living in the UK, I am still waiting to find something from Trader Joes in Aldi - it has yet to happen in three years! Would especially love to find a big bag of blue corn tortilla chips, mmm.
  • I love ALDI. Besides being great for having low prices on produce I could not otherwise afford, they pay their workers waaaaay better than any other chain, and offer health benefits and vacation time to part-time employees. I like supporting companies that treat their employees well.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Im from Germany so I know Aldi for yeaaaaaaaaars lol. All I can say, great products and great company (my cousin works there and what she told me everything is fair) They are modern with their products and food and I nearly get everything I want from there. We have tests for foods and products here in Germany and some goods from Aldi won.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I'm an American living in the UK and have never seen any sort of Trader Joe's product in the Aldi stores here. I wish!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    In north Queensland we don't have a Trader Joes or Aldi. Down south they have Aldi. Don't think there is any Trader Joes in Australia yet. I want both please!
  • I love Aldi! It's kind of a hassle and it's not the closest to me, but the deals are fantastic, especially on a budget. Unfortunately I don't really care for their produce, but we have some good indoor farmer's markets for produce. The only thing is I tire of going to so many different stores. I wish I could get all of my grocery awesomeness (Costco, Aldi, Trader Joe's, farmer's market, and the rare items I need at Kroger/Publix) in one place!
  • janahcarter
    janahcarter Posts: 42 Member
    We got an Aldi's in my area a little over 2 years ago. I love Aldi and don't shop anywhere else. With only one income, groceries get expensive quick. We can buy groceries for our family of 3 for 2 weeks before we need to go shopping again.I can get a cart full of groceries at Aldi's, where at Walmart I could probably only get 1/4 of it for the same price. Only complaint I have with them is their produce seems to spoil quicker.
  • @PaleoPath4Lyf, this is not entirely true. They only "claim" that their house brands are GMO free, but even that is really up for question since they will not reveal their vendors or sources for much of the common GMO crops (corn, soy, etc) and they don't have any plans to label/disclose anything anytime soon without being forced to by law. http://foodbabe.com/2013/08/07/what-is-trader-joes-hiding/

I am a fan of TJ's, but I'm still a skeptic when it comes to the food I feed my family.
  • Kellihulst
    Kellihulst Posts: 140 Member
    I love seeing all the Aldi lovers out there! It's my favorite place to shop!
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    I have an Aldi 10min walk from where I live, I love it. I get to walk there and back too, so get a little 20min walk (uphill too)
    I just got a pack of 6 tomatoes 39p lettuce 39p and carrots 39p. What a bargain.
  • NavyWife16
    NavyWife16 Posts: 4 Member
    That's so cool. We had a Trader Joe's in California and miss it dearly now that we live in Oklahoma. We have an Aldi's right down the street. I'll check it out! Thanks!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    What is up with all of these old threads being brought back?

With that being said, I will occasionally shop at Aldi's, but rarely buy produce there. It often looks like it is on it's last leg.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    title is backwards. It's like saying Abu Garcia owns Jarden.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Plus when you are broke that place is DA BOMB

FIFY
  • So I hear Trader Joe's is kinda upscale. Aldi's is terrible food. Like at my poorest I wouldn't eat that food (at least the meat and cheese vegs maybe different) so gross. Used to work at walmart so funny when people would price match aldi's vegs. Aldi's sells an avocado the size of a quarter for 30 cents but everyone wants the one's at walmart that are the size of a fist (normal price 98 cents - 1.28)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Produce in my local Aldi's is DISGUSTING. I hope yours is better. It just makes me sad to hear that it is related to Trader Joe's since I think they are good.

Did you know if you take Aldi's ad to Walmart they will match the produce prices?? At least in my area they do.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    You've got that backwards....Trader Joe's is owned by a divison of Aldi.

Aldi in the US is owned by the Aldi Sud division of Aldi Einkauf GmbH & Compagnie, oHG. Trader Joe's is owned by the Aldi Nord division.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Or more accurately Aldi's owns Trader Joe's.
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    When I was in college Aldi's had a big salmonella scare, lots of products were affected. To this day I have a hard time shopping there. :(
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Love Love Love Aldi's!!! I was just there this afternoon. Their prices are beyond awesome and the cart quarter idea is a hoot. :)