Overnight Apple Pie Slow Cooker Breakfast

Options
jdelisle
jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
I copied & pasted the actual recipe below, however I think that 2 apples is too few, next time I will probably try it with 4. I cooked mine for 5-6 hours, not 4 (how unrealistic for an 'overnight' recipe?) and it turned out great! This recipe made LOTS yesterday so I threw it in the fridge and it tasted awesome re-heated this morning for breakfast as well.

I found Steel Cut Oats for MUCH cheaper at my local health food store than my local grocery store. I used a small drizzle of Grade B dark maple syrup ontop for a bit of added sweetness. A small sprinkle of brown sugar would work well too, or you could just have it plain!

Steel cut oats have much more nutritional value than regular oats as they have hardly been processed at all.

Ingredients

2 cups steel cut oats
4 cups milk
3 cups water
2 medium apples, diced (sweet apples work best!)
many shakes ground cinnamon
a few shakes nutmeg
real maple syrup (not the crappy fake kind, seriously!) – sweeten to taste

Instructions

Mix all ingredients except maple syrup together in crockpot. It is going to seem like the oats are swimming in that much liquid, but don’t worry. Unlike smooshed oatmeal flakes, steel cut oats absorb a lot of liquid.

Cook on low for 4 hours, stirring every hour or so until liquid is incorporated and oats are the firmness/softness you like.

Top each serving with an extra sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of maple syrup to taste. (Note: Steel cut oats are very hearty – don’t serve yourself up your normal portion of oatmeal. Start small!)

Replies

• recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I cooked something like this once (overnight oatmeal with apples) and it turned into a glutenous sticky mush in the morning. I am not sure if it was because i used quick oats, because i cooked it for 8 hours (which is what the recipe said!) or what. I wonder if the steel cut oats would work better.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    Sounds really good, I can't wait to try it.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Yum!! Thank you!
  • jdelisle
    Options
    I cooked something like this once (overnight oatmeal with apples) and it turned into a glutenous sticky mush in the morning. I am not sure if it was because i used quick oats, because i cooked it for 8 hours (which is what the recipe said!) or what. I wonder if the steel cut oats would work better.

Steel Cut Oats take MUCH longer to cook than rolled oats. I tried it with rolled oats once before and it was pure mush, and did not turn out at all.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    This is probably best as a "serves 6" recipe.... the whole recipe has 2062 calories (with 4 tbs maple syrup). So... serves 4 is 515 calories per serving, serves 6 brings it down to 344. I'd probably add an extra apple. (+12 cal per serving). And as you've observed, steel-cut oats are SUPER filling.

Sounds delish, I can't wait to try it out! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    bump for later ... YUM!!
  • jdelisle
    Options
    This is probably best as a "serves 6" recipe.... the whole recipe has 2062 calories (with 4 tbs maple syrup). So... serves 4 is 515 calories per serving, serves 6 brings it down to 344. I'd probably add an extra apple. (+12 cal per serving). And as you've observed, steel-cut oats are SUPER filling.

I think it could serve even more than 6! I made the whole recipe not sure if halfing it would ruin the chemistry of it all, it fed 3 of us yesterday, 3 of us this morning for breakfast and I probably have a good 3-4 servings left. Steel cut oats go a lot further than regular oats, kind of like regular cereal vs granola.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options

I think it could serve even more than 6! I made the whole recipe not sure if halfing it would ruin the chemistry of it all, it fed 3 of us yesterday, 3 of us this morning for breakfast and I probably have a good 3-4 servings left. Steel cut oats go a lot further than regular oats, kind of like regular cereal vs granola.

We shall have to test this. : )
  • jdelisle
    Options

We shall have to test this. : )

Let me know how it goes for you! That was my first time trying it so if you find any variations when you make it, please be sure to share :)
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Steel Cut Oats take MUCH longer to cook than rolled oats. I tried it with rolled oats once before and it was pure mush, and did not turn out at all.

ahhh i will have to buy some steel cut oats and give it a try :) thanks :)
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • tefleon
    tefleon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How do you stir this every hour if it's an overnight recipe?

It does sound lush though and I plan to try this at the weekend!
  • jdelisle
    Options
    How do you stir this every hour if it's an overnight recipe?

It does sound lush though and I plan to try this at the weekend!

I just copied and pasted the exact recipe with my own comments on top. The original recipe said to cook for 4 hours stirring every hour (who the heck sleeps like that?).

Mine turned out fine cooking for 6 hours, it probably could have gone a bit longer and still tasted fine. Stirring is probably just for optimal results.
  • tefleon
    tefleon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this.. Just need to find some of those steel cut oats here in the UK.
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy!