Will squats make my @ss bigger?

Options
Duck_Puddle
Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
As you can sort of see from my poor profile pic, I've got some pancake flat topography going on in the @ss department. I've heard that "heavy" squats can significantly improve that. I posted as such on my wall and a friend mentioned that she too was hoping for improvement in that area, but she's looking to do the opposite of increase.

So, assuming I can someday manage to walk down the stairs without whimpering and actually subject myself to more squats, will an @ss eventually make an appearance? And if so, what does that mean for my friend who is hoping to reduce her @ss?

Any tips for either of us?

Replies

• nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm in for more information. I have the flat @ss syndrome as well :tongue:
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you want to build the muscle, you'll have to squat heavy and eat at a surplus. If you just want to "perk it up", then squatting heavy may do that for you. Mine is definitely perkier and firmer after adding in barbell squats.

As for losing a butt, if it's fat, that will come through diet. Squats will still help, because it can help the shape. It will all come down to genetics, though, either way. Even when I was 117 pounds, I still had junk in the trunk. Even without squatting. (Although the shape is definitely better with squats!)
  • Kabuhtu
    Kabuhtu Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I need this info too!
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Overnight, no...but over time, yes - squats will help in that department but only so much. Each of us are different and so are our bodies. I started at 135 and have gotten to 195 in 3 sets at 8 reps each. My @ss is much "tighter & perky" than before. I've been doing heavy weights for about a year.

Good luck, and even if you don't get the @ss you want the heavy weights will help your body overall anyway.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you want to build the muscle, you'll have to squat heavy and eat at a surplus. If you just want to "perk it up", then squatting heavy may do that for you. Mine is definitely perkier and firmer after adding in barbell squats.

As for losing a butt, if it's fat, that will come through diet. Squats will still help, because it can help the shape. It will all come down to genetics, though, either way. Even when I was 117 pounds, I still had junk in the trunk. Even without squatting. (Although the shape is definitely better with squats!)

All of this. Yes please and thank you ma'am. As for why anyone would voluntarily relinquish their back end... that is beyond me. But to each their own.
  • Tatiana269
    Tatiana269 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Im hoping the different types of squats that Ive been doing will help firm it up and make it perkier. But all the exercise in the world wont make me a have a Beyonce booty. lol. :cry:
  • BBickers0831
    BBickers0831 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the Opposite of the Flat @ss... my nicknames in highschool included Big Butt Brittney, Bubble Butt and Bhaz180 for a 180 degree booty. I have played softball all my life and was a catcher so squating regularly was a DAILY activity for me since I can remember and many tell me I owe my Booty to that.... Try a 30 day Squat challenge and I bet you will notice a slight difference maybe not all visibly but definitly in how your butt looks in certain pants or shorts or undies. Just a thought?! :happy:
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yes squats will help shape you butt and make it more muscular, lunges are also good in this area. and kicks do a good job of shaping your butt too... maybe take a kickboxing class. There is also a Beachbody product that it designed completely for forming a nicer butt. let me know if your willing to do that kind of program and ill hook you up with more info.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    It will probably give you some lift and a better appearance...but squats are not going to give you a bubble butt if you start out with a pancake.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have been working on getting that nice Biker butt all my mountain bike guys friends have, they think i want to be in the back because i am slow truth is i like to look at their butts
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Squats make the difference between having a butt and the having an *kitten*
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    They will definitely give you more definition. Also try lunges, stair climbing or uphill walking, hip extensions, and bridges (pelvic lifts).
  • DanaeMonique
    DanaeMonique Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As you can sort of see from my poor profile pic, I've got some pancake flat topography going on in the @ss department. I've heard that "heavy" squats can significantly improve that. I posted as such on my wall and a friend mentioned that she too was hoping for improvement in that area, but she's looking to do the opposite of increase.

So, assuming I can someday manage to walk down the stairs without whimpering and actually subject myself to more squats, will an @ss eventually make an appearance? And if so, what does that mean for my friend who is hoping to reduce her @ss?

Any tips for either of us?

I just finished the 30 day Squat Challenge last Thursday. I took a before and after picture and I definately see results! My butt is lift and a little round, my thighs are toned and i had/have cellulite on my thighs and it really helped clear some!
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Squats will shape and firm - all around squats help your booty. Period.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Lots of squats, deadlifts, and running up stairs will help.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    As someone who once had a fat *kitten*, then a flat *kitten* after losing weight through mostly cardio, and now a (if I don't say so myself), nice round tushy from heavy squats, I think they work miracles.

back_zps78e97a7f.jpg

I just wish I did them from the beginning to avoid the droopy-bum phase entirely.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    To build your *kitten* up with squats you need to build your muscles up there (your glutes) Heavy squats, and deadlifts, lunges etc combined with enough calories to build muscle tissue, will get you a bigger butt!

If you're wanting to decrease it's size, you combine a calorie deficit with squats etc. The deficit will help you lose fat, and it's doubtful you'll build any muscle, but the lifting will help ensure that you still keep your existing muscle there (no saggy/untoned butt!)
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I will echo the go-ahead on squats, and also highly suggest the deadlift.
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings will also help in the butt department. Just make sure to use a heavy enough bell and good form. Good luck.