Carbs to restrict or not?

Options
Y'all may have covered this a zillion time so feel free to link me into another thread.

But I am considering reducing or restricting my carbs. I have NEVER done this before. I have switched my carbs from white to wheat. That helped. But you know I love me some carbs.

Any suggestions, tricks, tips or advice?

:bigsmile:

Replies

• nb0203
    nb0203 Posts: 2
    Options
    I used to be a carb junkie and had what felt like an uncontrollable sweet tooth. I have noticed for myself, that when I restrict carbs through out the day I don't have the late night sweet cravings I used to have. I don't restrict as much as like the Adkins or South Beach diet, but I'm nowhere close to eating what I was.

For dinner yesterday I had not time to cook, so I had a lean cuisine pizza. Well most nights I have a lean meat and some veggies especially green ones (lots and lots). Last night I did get a sweet craving for the first time in days! My guess it was the carb count in the crust but I could be wrong. I partially gave in but motivation got the better of me and I threw away the sweet treat I had tried.

Most of my carbs through out the day come from my afternoon apple or banana. Basically any fruit I eat is where the most carbs come from. I only eat eggs for breakfast and really haven't touched bread or pasta in days (other than last night's dinner).

So for me who was once a sweet/carb junkie cutting back on them have helped. But everyone is different and our bodies handle things differently. I would try it in moderation and see if it works for you!

Good luck!
  • frabjak
    frabjak Posts: 16
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil. The key is to keep them healthy carbs. As in, cutting out white product like sugar and white flour. Whole grains, fruit, natural carbs in vegetables are not bad. As far as how many to consume, well that depends on your goals and fitness levels.

I try to consume 216 grams of carbs a day (I follow an 1800 calorie diet set by my nutritionist). I'm not saying go up to that! Don't! I also burn 700 calories a day, am at 17% body fat and I'm trying to put on some more lean muscle (so I need the carbs to protect my body from burning the muscle when I work out).

A healthy balance of healthy carbs will protect your muscles and give you energy if you are active. They will also help to regulate sugar levels, sustain hunger as well as promote healthy brain function (as in focus and concentration). Our bodies need a good mix of everything...just keep them whole foods.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Carbs are evil No just kidding Carbs give you long lasting energy and it's what your body prefers to burn, like everyone says cut out the simple sugar carbs, I do eat bread, pasta and other carbs I keep the portions in check, I don't eat plan white bread more like a really good 7 grain baked fresh, on the daily I get most of my cabs from Salad with no dressing (it's all sugar) and Fruit some days eating up to 10 pieces of fruit.

Stay healthy
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi there:
    I don't eat bread, pasta, muffins, bagels etc. Just fruit, meat, and veges.
    I feel less bloated. The weight is taking its time but it will come.
    I am also older so it takes longer for me.
    Watch your fruit, it has fructose. Some is okay but don't go overboard.
    Happy Dieting.
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my carbs but I find reducing instead of eliminating is the best solution. Any change is awesome.
  • JillMaddox
    Options
    What great responses. Thank you all!!! I will let you know how I do.

What do you think of this? My trainer told me to follow this simple formula

Breakfast - Carbs, Protien, Fruit
    Lunch - Carbs Protien, Veggies
    Snack - Fruit
    Dinner - Protien Veggies
  • unocentavo
    unocentavo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my carbs but I find reducing instead of eliminating is the best solution. Any change is awesome.

Ditto here.
  • nb0203
    nb0203 Posts: 2
    Options
    Protein for breakfast for sure, I have found that it helps me through out the entire day. I prefer an egg but sometimes I'll make a fruit smoothie using protein powder for women and weight loss. And like I said in my earlier post I find I do better in the evenings (fighting that sweet tooth) with having a lean meat and veggies for dinner. So I think you have a pretty good set up there! Good luck!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs around 100 and my protein is usually over 100 also...if you lower your carbs you need to raise your protein
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs between 100-120 but my protein will always be more than my carbs or I feel so heavy. I spin so I notice when I eat more carbs I cannot peddle as fast.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil and they are not evil. They are an essential part of a healthy diet. The problem is highly refined/processed carbs! Unfortunately, those are the type that are abundant in most people's diets.

Quickest and easiest way to get at them is to eliminate as much processed/packaged food from your diet as you can. When you do eat them, look for the least processed form (rolled oats vs. instant oatmeal, brown rice vs. white, whole grain breads, fresh fruits/vegetables etc.). When you do that, you will naturally limit the amount of carbs present in your diet.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    What great responses. Thank you all!!! I will let you know how I do.

What do you think of this? My trainer told me to follow this simple formula

Breakfast - Carbs, Protien, Fruit
    Lunch - Carbs Protien, Veggies
    Snack - Fruit
    Dinner - Protien Veggies

That's pretty much my diet! I think its a great one! :laugh: except my snacks are usually protein based with a little carb
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Hi there:
    I don't eat bread, pasta, muffins, bagels etc. Just fruit, meat, and veges.
    I feel less bloated. The weight is taking its time but it will come.
    I am also older so it takes longer for me.
    Watch your fruit, it has fructose. Some is okay but don't go overboard.
    Happy Dieting.

This is my way of life too.

My macronutrients being Protein, Fat and carb (fruits or veges)
    I've almost completely avoided grains and refined/processed breads.
    I've just started to re-introduce Oatmeal, but having trouble with wheat and quinoa.

Tell you what though - I don't miss it!
  • jojigirl
    jojigirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am sort of restricting the carbs... I'm trying to avoid processed food, so that leaves out bread, but inlcudes rice etc. I'm finding it a real challenge to eat strictly whole foods, but I'm trying!

Keep up the great work and good luck!
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Y'all may have covered this a zillion time so feel free to link me into another thread.

But I am considering reducing or restricting my carbs. I have NEVER done this before. I have switched my carbs from white to wheat. That helped. But you know I love me some carbs.

Any suggestions, tricks, tips or advice?

:bigsmile:

Don't go below 30% on your carbs. That's my advice. Anything lower than that is very difficult to sustain long term. If you're going to restrict carbs, restrict them to fruits, vegetables and complex carbs (whole wheat breads & pastas, etc.). Just cutting out or reducing the "bad" carbs will make a huge difference for most people.