Does tea count towards your water consumption?

Options
I am a huge fan of tea, and I drink it every day. I only stick to green tea since it is the best for you, but I've always wondered if I can count the consumption towards my *8 glasses* of water/day?

If someone knows the answer, I would love to know!

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• arutherf
    arutherf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of tea, and I drink it every day. I only stick to green tea since it is the best for you, but I've always wondered if I can count the consumption towards my *8 glasses* of water/day?

If someone knows the answer, I would love to know!

Thanks! :smile:
  • X_c0nfuZed_X
    Options
    Probably not,
    Tea is a diuretic, so it dehydrates you, It makes the kidney take in more water so you pee more, and lose more water. Like alcohol and coffee.
  • arutherf
    arutherf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That clears things up. Thanks! :happy:
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I was going to say yes, lol. I count mine if I only have a couple cups of it. It is mostly water anyways.
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I was going to say yes too.
  • Uysbee
    Options
    Yes, but more if you drink Decaf tea like rooibos (Redbush) tea. and others that are decaf...unknown to me at the moment...I wished coffee counted, because the 8 cups a day is a struggle. Just don't drink them close to bed time, I made that mistake once....;)
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I know herbal teas count towards water... it's just sticks and water anyways.....no cals in it
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I never count tea or coffee or even water that I flavor as water intake. I only count pure water. I do have tea, and it makes a great snack at night time if I don't have calories left, but I never count it toward water intake. There are a lot of different opinions on this, as this question has been asked before, so you may be able to find some other thoughts on this by doing a search of the message boards.

I have consistently lost weight since beginning my weight loss journey, even on weeks that I have gone over my calories, not gotten as much exercise, had lots of empty calories with no nutritional value, etc. The only thing that has remained consistent is that I ALWAYS drink at least 100 ounces of water daily. Now that's not to say that I could eat whatever I wanted and just drink water and still lose, but water definitely gives me a bit of wiggle room in my daily diet.

If water is really hard for you to get down, I guess you could count your tea as water intake at first, but really strive to get in a MINIMUM of 64 ounces of pure water a day (I've actually heard having a half ounce of water for each pound you weigh, or the number of ounces that is equal to half your body weight, so for a lot of us, we need more than 64 ounces). I promise you will see results, especially if you are not typically a water drinker.

When I was at the spa on Thursday, the lady who did my facial said that I have really good skin with a lot of elasticity, and she said "you must get in enough water!"...she said that water will go to every other organ of your body first before going to your skin...and when she said that water helps with skin elasticity, I perked up even more...because we all want our skin to bounce back once we lose our weight...and if water will help with that...then I say bottoms up! :drinker:
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Yes, but more if you drink Decaf tea like rooibos (Redbush) tea. and others that are decaf...unknown to me at the moment...I wished coffee counted, because the 8 cups a day is a struggle. Just don't drink them close to bed time, I made that mistake once....;)

Chamomile/Camomile, Linden, Mints, Fruit (Mango, Berries) and you've got a list of teas :). All decaf :D. Hehe, my hubs had once a chocolate chilli tea - yummy. :smile:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes, tea and any other liquids, even the liquids in food, can count towards your water intake. This is based on medical research.. WebMD is a good source. By the way, coffee counts and so does soda. Water in any form, coffee, tea, soda, juice....they all count.
  • faye_andrea
    faye_andrea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Rooibos Tea and Herbal Tea are both naturally non caffeinated so these count towards your water intake. Any other kind of tea contains caffeine (including green tea - although there is only a small amount in most green teas) which is a diuretic, so it will just go right through you.

Stick with rooibos and herbals and you're good to go! I'm drinking some rooibos right now because I was getting bored of just plain water :)

If you're in Canada check out Davids Tea (that's where I work!), or there is also Teavana in the states (and Canada). They have an awesome selection of all kinds of teas. I like to drink really sweet flavored rooibos teas to put towards my water intake because it also helps ease sugar cravings. The tea is usually quite flavorful so you don't need to add any sweetners to it so no calories! :)
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Yes. There is water in it. :huh:
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yes. There is water in it. :huh:

Word. over 99%, I'd bet.

You can count it as water, IMHO.
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would say no, make sure you still drink enough water.
  • cfriend71
    Options
    agree!!
  • cfriend71
    Options
    Probably not,
    Tea is a diuretic, so it dehydrates you, It makes the kidney take in more water so you pee more, and lose more water. Like alcohol and coffee.
    THIS IS CORRECT
  • mjschumacher100
    Options
    People who guess or give advice they're not sure of...:angry::explode:

Of course you count it as water. It's water. Same as if you add water to oats, or to juice or to a smoothie and so on.
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Probably not,
    THIS IS CORRECT

This ^^^^

And the water in fruit should not be counted either. And if you take a long shower, don't count the water your body absorbed. Nor should you count the water in your lungs if you have pneumonia.

**Why can't people just drink 8 glasses of water.... *shakes head* sigh
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Tea has water in it, so count the water as water innit!