Camping on a diet...

Options
mommyofX2
mommyofX2 Posts: 56 Member
How do people do it?? I have been avoiding it since I started doing this and my bf keeps asking me to come with him but I am way to scared. I would be way to in to bbq food. I just love it. And tonight he is making bbq ribs, that is going to be so hard to eat my cauliflower soup while him and my kids enjoy that =(

But what do you eat while camping to stay in your calories??

Replies

• PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This is an unhealthy thought process. Someone should not be "scared" to do something for fear of eating too much.

Allow yourself to go camping, try to eat healthy, but if you can't it's no big deal.
  • mommyofX2
    Options
    I just dont want to back track. I have worked so hard to lose ten pounds I think that if i did gain it back I would probably end up giving up.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When we go on vacation or camping I always bring these items with me.

Oatmeal and peanut butter
    summer sausage and celery

If you are driving a long distance you can always make your oatmeal at any gas station. Then eat what you won't on your trip.
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I went camping and this was a portion of our menu - not all SUPER healthy, but kept me within calories. Try working out and saving some calories from your workouts before you go, or incorporate outdoor activities while you camp:

breakfast: breakfast burrito with eggs, veggies, sausage in a low carb wrap
    lunch: Pre-made turkey sandwich (you could substitute lettuce for the bread)
    dinner: grilled steak, grilled corn on the cob, baked sweet potato (just wrap it in foil and throw in the fire)
  • knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    First of all, how on earth are you surviving on so few calories that you have to eat cauliflower soup?!

Second, when I went camping last month I didn't worry about what I ate while there. I didn't binge, but I didn't log either (no internet anyway). I made sure every lunch and dinner had fruit & veg, kept the snacks to things like healthy trail mix and protein bars, and did a TON of hiking and canoeing. Even though on our way home we stopped at a restaurant and I had a huge plate of carbs and fat (open face hot turkey sandwich, piled with mashed potatoes and drenched in gravy), I still lost 1.5lb on that trip.

It's all about moderation, keeping active, and making good choices. Have some BBQ! Just don't eat the whole pig!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    First of all, how on earth are you surviving on so few calories that you have to eat cauliflower soup?!

Second, when I went camping last month I didn't worry about what I ate while there. I didn't binge, but I didn't log either (no internet anyway). I made sure every lunch and dinner had fruit & veg, kept the snacks to things like healthy trail mix and protein bars, and did a TON of hiking and canoeing. Even though on our way home we stopped at a restaurant and I had a huge plate of carbs and fat (open face hot turkey sandwich, piled with mashed potatoes and drenched in gravy), I still lost 1.5lb on that trip.

It's all about moderation, keeping active, and making good choices. Have some BBQ! Just don't eat the whole pig!

100 % agree with this.
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

What she said!
  • mommyofX2
    Options
    the cauliflower soup is awesome. Its filling and its not like I dont eat other stuff during the day. I get my protein with lunch and have snacks in between meals.

I think I will take a crack at it but maybe the weekend after fathers day weekend. it will just take some planning on my part.
  • lainester
    lainester Posts: 46
    Options
    I completely agree with the last few posts. You really do have to enjoy! I am going camping soon and making sure that I enjoy yet get some exercise in with the kids. That's it! Not worrying about it too much!
  • mommyofX2
    Options
    Camping doesn't count. Lots of reasons for that. But...

1) You have to live life. You can't avoid things becuase you might eat food; that's ridiculous.

2) Camping is awesome, and it doesn't matter what you eat. You're not going to get fat in one weekend, or whatever. It's not going to happen, even if you tried to do it on purpose. The body doesn't work like that.

3) I'm very active when I camp. And, all the beer counter acts the activity, so it's a break-even situation.

4) There's smores. Deal with it. Have a few and enjoy your life.

Thank you - Really makes me feel better about going a splurging on a few smores... I dont think i could camp with out them. I was usually not very active when I camped before but now I think I have a lot more energy and could probably take me son on hikes and stuff.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I go camping A LOT in the summer time. I always pack my own cooler of food for the weekend:

Breakfast: eggs (or whites) over the fire w/ sliced ham, whole wheat toast, fresh fruit

Lunch: Chicken over the fire (I bring raw breasts in a baggie or container), mixed veggies over the fire (i'll chop up a variety-peppers, onions, zucchini, etc. and bring in a bowl. Pour a little fat free italian over them and wrap in foil, cook with chicken) with a prepared salad on the side with almonds, veggies & cottage cheese

Dinner: I usually bring a salmon or tilapia fillet and cook over the fire. With it, I'll wrap a head of cabbage and throw in the fire (I hollow it out where the "stem" is and fill with fat free italian and chopped garlic) and make a baked sweet potato in the fire.

I bring bananas, peanut butter, dark chocolate, fruit, nuts and protein bars for if I want a snack.

I'll usually have a couple spoon fulls of whatever other people are having (potato salad, beans, etc.) but I don't usually go for a whole serving. I find that with the above foods that I prepare for myself I get pretty full to begin with.

Edit to add: If I know I'm going to want hot dogs (gasp!) that weekend, I'll go for turkey dogs and use low carb wraps instead of buns. It's pretty good topped with sauerkraut and mustard!
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Prawns!!

Instead of the others making you drool with their burgers and bacon, suddenly the shoe is on the other foot lol. Bonus that you have a fifth wheel with a refrigerator/freezer.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Hike and climb a crap ton while you're camping and it will balance out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with BBQ ribs?
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i agree just exercise more and be reasonable with portions and you will be fine
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with BBQ ribs?

Always comes with loaded baked potato and other goodies when her bf barbecues ... and it looks and smells ... so ... flipping ... good.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I just went camping this last weekend and the weekend prior. I ate w/in my range by monitoring my portions. I ate the carbs, I ate the bbq & incorporated salads & had fruit as my snacks. Oh & I definitely had a s’more or two + some wine. It’s all about portions and making sure you aren’t sitting around the campsite all day. I hiked an awful lot and averaged about 5+ miles a day according to my fitbit. So go & have fun.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    We eat healthier when camping than at home!

I bring mostly meats to grill, fresh veggies and fruit or fruit salad, marshmallows for roasting, and a few "goodies" like chips and salsa, popsickles for the kids, and maybe another bag of chips or some Twizzlers. We have a trailer with a fridge so it's easy for us to store food.

The only thing I overindulge on is beer, and I do it without regrets.

With a little planning, you can have fantastic, healthy meals when camping.

And...I would never ever pass on ribs. Ever. Just have one or two and you'll be fine. Don't deprive yourself all the time. There's no reason to be scared or worry.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I love camping, and I love grilling. You can grill chicken, steak, shrimp, fish, vegetables, fruit...Are you camping at a lake? Near the ocean? If you are you can catch your dinner everyday. Nothing better than fresh seafood :)

Also most people are pretty active while they camp. If you go hiking, for a swim, etc. you could be burning a lot of extra cals and need the ribs, peanut butter, (substitute any other calorie dense food)