Cheat day... Feeling guilty

Options
So I have been following my diet for the past four months almost. I have not had a cheat day the entire time. I am planning my first cheat day on Saturday bc my boyfriend and I want to try the Melting Pot and I am not going to worry about eatin healthy when we are spending that kind of money for a meal and rarely go out since I've been on my diet. Even though I am really looking forward to going, I am feeling a bit guilty and am thinking of canceling.

Do you do cheat days every once in a while, and if so how has it affected your progress?

Replies

• columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cheat meal 1x a week. The following day I push my breakfast out farther a few hours and I cut my carbs. But you should be all good.
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I plan my cheat meals once a week. I enjoy whatever I was craving and I don't feel guilty in the slightest!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It's one day and it will not ruin the progress you've made thus far.

You're going to fail if you don't allow yourself to go out and have a normal life outside of "dieting."

Get an extra workout in if you're feeling that guilty about it, but honestly you shouldn't be. More than likely you'll still be in a deficit for the week anyway.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of callng it a "cheat day". Or even so much the practice. I feel that it lends an unnecessarily negative connotation to food.

The usual cause of binging is undereating and/or denying yourself your favorite foods. It is a myth that some foods are "bad" for you. Pizza and burgers, for example, are two of my favorite foods. Many people believe that you will get fat if you eat them. This is not the case. The important thing is to be aware of what you are eating and to eat according to your macros and calorie goal.

That being said, having an off day here and there won't harm you. 6 steps forward and one step back puts you ahead by 5 paces.

xoxo
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I cheat one meal per week... don't worry about it.
    Don't cancel on you BF. He might start resenting your diet/lifestyle.
    Go and enjoy it...Just don't stuff your self. Drink some water before the meal and eat slowly. (I generally just eat lighter the next day... also DON'T weigh yourself the next day, you will probably gain some water weight due to sodium. Wait at least a couple days to weigh yourself...
    Now I want to go lol!
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Curious if you're working out too?

I couldn't imagine feeling guilty for a cheat meal, let alone cancelling plans with my boyfriend to avoid it. It's an unhealthy thought process.
  • mfreeman0921
    mfreeman0921 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Curious if you're working out too?

I couldn't imagine feeling guilty for a cheat meal, let alone cancelling plans with my boyfriend to avoid it. It's an unhealthy thought process.

Yes I am working out about 4-5 times per week. I wouldn't cancel on the date, I would just cancel the reservations and go to a place that he can eat whatever he wants (a bacon cheeseburger is his favorite lol) and I could eat something that healthy. But everyone I'm sure is right and I shouldn't feel guilty about going off my diet for one meal.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It's all good eat what you want.