HOW THE HECK do I eat 1600 calories!?

Options
So as I'm in the home stretch of my weight loss/losing inches, I'm switching to the TDEE-20% method. This means going from 1200 to 1600 calories for me (I currently work out 2-3 times per week but will be upping it to 3-5).

At first, my reaction was "Look at how much I get to eat!" and then after logging all my food, I realized I'm struggling to get up to 1600. I'm so used to eating non-fat/low cal blah blah foods so getting beyond 1300 is actually seems challenging.

Yesterday, I ate pasta in the evening (first time in forever) and included yolks in my eggs as an easy way to up my calories.

So everyone, what are your tips for adding in healthy calories to reach your goal?
And those of you who have also gone from 1200 to something higher, how was the transition?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, Greek yogurt, cheese, dark chocolate, avocado, olive oil, etc. Plenty of healthy foods that will give you a quick calorie boost without filling you up.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, Greek yogurt, cheese, dark chocolate, avocado, olive oil, etc. Plenty of healthy foods that will give you a quick calorie boost without filling you up.
    yeah - Greek yogurt is awesome and filling
  • natmadc
    natmadc Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals out, usually a day before make sure I meet my macros.

I find it really easy to eat 1600 calories, I probably could eat more if you let me... Especially considering I was eating a lot more when I was heavier
  • Jeffaome
    Jeffaome Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, cheese, yogurt, etc. It isn't difficult if you start eating high fat foods. Its a common misconception that high fat foods are bad for you.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your basic strategy is. Have an avocado, or a peanut butter sandwich, or a cookie. :smile:
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Eat real foods instead of the reduced calorie/fat free versions. They taste so much better to me.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Avocados and nut butter...but not together cuz that would be gross
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Leave out anything titled low fat/non fat. Honestly, they are more unhealthy for you over the real thing. Boom - there's your extra calories.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    1600 cals is my TDEE I dont believe in low fat anything so its easy to do!!!lol:smile: sorry should have said 1600 is 20% of my TDEE!!!
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    During my bulk, ill eat 3000 calories a day... 1600 it totally doable. add a couple of ounces of meat to you regular meals. If you usually have 2 eggs in the morning have 3, snack on nuts and dairy like string cheese and greek yogurt instead of low cal fruit and veggies. add a little extra rice or quinoa to meals, just add a little extra stuff here and there.
  • LoveHummingbirds
    Options
    I love nuts, especially almonds. They are healthy and calorie dense.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Stop the low fat, half the calorie stuff, and eat real food. Enjoy it!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    open mouth, put food in, chew, swallow repeat as necessary.

Seriously eat calorie dense foods, nut really bump my calories up, so does avocado, olive oil etc.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am a reformed 1200 calorie eater. I now eat 1800 a day but I'm not focused on weight loss anymore, instead lifting but that's another story.

When I switched I started to eat higher fat foods. Nuts, cheese, avocados. I also LOVE greek yogurt and protein bars.
    Good luck!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

All of the above!
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    All meats, Rice, Brown Bread, Yogurt, Protein Shakes, Nuts, Olive Oil... There are so many ways! I'm impressed you find it hard!
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry don't eat
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options

All of these are great ways to get in extra calories. One cup of whole milk plain Greek yogurt with 1tbsp honey and a sliced banana mixed in is over 300 calories. Throw in a handfull of almonds or walnuts and you can get close to 500. Cooking eggs in butter is another great way to get some extra calories in.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    A glass of whole milk, nuts, nut butters, cheese, greek yogurt, avocado to name a few.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fat (olive oil and nuts mostly) and wine.