Hypoactive thyroid anyone!?

Options
JillianLH
JillianLH Posts: 23 Member
Hi everyone! Have been struggling to loose weight for the last few years and was recently diagnosed with a hypoactive thyroid. Just started taking ARMOUR thyroid. Is anyone else on this medication or anything like it? Seeing any results with loosing weight or energy boosts??

REALLLLLYYY hoping this is what is preventing me to loose weight. I eat right and work out every day and have been the same weight for 3 years no matter what I do!

Jill

Replies

• rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Two of my family members had serious thyroid issues, they were does with radioactive iodine. Before, on had been keeping extra weight on, while of them had drastic weight loss (unhealthily so) without trying, which were what brought it to the attention of their doctors. They are on synthroid and it helped balanced their energy levels which I think helps prevent eating tons of crap food when they felt exhausted and reached for sugar/caffeine a lot. I haven't heard of people drastically losing weight right away when going on the meds, but your doctor is your best source of info :).
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Been on Synthroid for close to six years now.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm on Armour Thyroid, too. At first I noticed my weight change a bit (which was super unusual for me). Turns out, however, that my thyroid only played a small part in my inability to drop weight. Make sure that once your thyroid is up and working better that you still maintain a healthy diet and activity level...here's wishing the best of luck to you! :)
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm on synthroid. I've noticed that as long as I'm taking it every day and exercising and eating within my calorie limit, I am losing slowly. Give it a shot for a month or so, and if the scale isn't budging, talk to your doctor.
  • MadMacMom0309
    MadMacMom0309 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was first diagnosed about 8 years ago. When I first went on Synthroid I did lose about 20 lbs but then struggled to lose any more. I got pregnant with my second child, was on bed rest for the end of the pregnancy and packed on 50 lbs. I lost about 20 of that and then for the last 2 years my body has gone haywire. I developed gastritis and lost about 20 more but then all of the sudden it was like my Synthroid was not working anymore and I gained almost all of that back. I am just 5 lbs shy of what I weighed the day I went in to have my second child. My doctor upped the dosage and it only made a minor difference.

Most people that I talk to on Armour, however, seem to do so much better, so hopefully that will be your case too. Be thankful that you have a doctor willing to try that because a lot of them will not prescribe it.
  • soulmatesnvrdie
    Options
    I'm on syntroid, I was diagnosed and put on med about a yr ago now. I read that because of the hormones being out of whack hypothyroidism can cause up to 20 extra lbs depending on the person, once I started the meds after a couple months I lost 5-7lbs just from that. But it definitely helped me get up off my butt and have the motivation/energy to get moving. It isn't the direct cause of a ton of weight like some people like to give as an excuse for their heftiness, although it does make you feel lethargic and hard to lose weight etc. without the right dose of medication.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Just started Armour last week. Actually went up a few pounds the past few days :( also struggling with allergies/cold right now so haven't noticed much improvement! I'm also hoping this will be the answer I have been searching for!
  • luulu1999
    luulu1999 Posts: 119
    Options
    Im on Levothyroxine i cant tell one bit of difference in energy and I have lost 5 lbs by watching what I eat....I think part of that is my doc doesn't really know what shes doing but I don't have time to find a new one
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    the thyroid diet by mary j shomon in amazon. really, really recommend it. best of luck
  • pmart611
    pmart611 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed hypothyroid for about the last 10 years and have been taking Synthroid ever since. I too was excited to hear that my thyroid was causing my weight gain and thought I would start losing it easily. But unfortunately, it was just one piece of the puzzle of how my body was out of balance within and I had to get everything working to get my metabolism up and running. That included diet, cardio, and strength training. So in the last two years, I finallly got my mind in the right place and started losing. I think in the end, it helped to have my TSH level lowered to around 1.0 to really support my weight loss. You will realize as you get your TSH level down, you feel better overall with your brain fog lifting and moods (like depression) improving dramatically. Good luck on your journey.
  • wendydl
    wendydl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have had an underactive thyroid diagnosed as hashimotis , for over 30 years, and have taken thyroxine all that time ,I have been stable for a long time till recently, now I seem to have unusual levels despite medication not changing ,its all a bit trial and error to get the right dose to suit you , but usually weight changes ,and energy levels occur within 3 months of commencing the medication .
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo. was diagnosed almost 3 years ago (after some crazy weight gain despite all efforts - I gained 20 pounds in 4 months while eating right and training for a triathlon). I see an endocrinologist. I take synthroid (well...the generic of it). We just finally got my dosage right last summer, and my TSH levels were finally where they should be. After about 6 months of being on the correct dosage (in addition to eating right and exercising), the weight finally started to come off (slowly) in January. It has been an EXTREMELY slow process. That said, once we got my dosage right, the increase in energy and mood was pretty instant....like within 2-3 weeks of starting on the correct dosage.
  • JillianLH
    JillianLH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is I don't gain weight. I lost about 20 lbs 4 years ago and since then havent moved. I watch what I eat and go to the gym 6x a week so I am able to prevent myself from gaining weight..just cant loose the weight :(
  • soulmatesnvrdie
    Options
    yes, knowing your levels from your blood tests in relation to how your feeling help you recognize which range of the normal spectrum you feel best and they can adjust your dose accordingly (I can't quite remember but I think my doctor told me normal was is like a 1-3 range? Someone correct me if I'm off) I know personally I feel amazing at about a 2 if it goes into the higher range of the spectrum I lose my energy a bit.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have been on synthroid for 10 years. I lost about 30 pounds very quickly while on the Atkins diet. That is what screwed up my thyroid, I am convinced! Weight loss has been a huge struggle ever since. I really believe my dose is too low but my doc says it isn't. I was on levothyroxine but quickly told them not to give me generic anymore. I was so lethargic on it. I would like to try the Armour but haven't asked my doc yet. He is a GP. I didn't like the ENDo doc so I just started going to my GP. I should probably find an endo that I like, huh? LOL

I swear it is 80% mindset. At first, I would get so discouraged with the no or low weight loss so I would just quit. now, after 10 years!, I finally know I am going to lose slowly so I need to psych myself up for that. No quick fixes with hypothyroid but that is what got me here in the 1st place! Slow and steady wins the race.

I use other measures for my success instead of the scale now to allay the frustration. Last night, I dead lifted 140 lbs, a new personal best for me. The dress I bought for my daughter's graduation was the smallest size I have bought in 10 years! Success!

I lift weights and I am reconfiguring my body. I get quicker gains from that than the scale and I feel so empowered! It helps my energy levels, as well!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Have had HT for years. Doc said if I started taking the meds for it, I would have to take them for the rest of my life. I decided against it. Instead, I'm on a diet where I fast every other day. It lowers blood glucose levels and lowers IGF-1, which is very helpful for the thyroid.
  • littlegem65
    littlegem65 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyrodism and have had it for five years. Since then, I have put on 50 plus pounds. I can't seem to lose them even when I exercise 5 times a week and eat 1400 - 1600 calories per day. I have just read "The Fast Diet" book and started today with my first fast day. I was put on thyroid meds and have taken myself off of them for the time being. I am curious to know if you have lost weight as a result of your regime of fasting every other day and how much. I also would like to know if you eat 500 calories on "fast" days and whether you limit or restrict your calories in any way on your nonfast days.
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    Hey!
    I also was diagnosed with hypo thyroid....hashmito's or something or other...I am on .005 mg of synthroid a day......the armour med you are speaking of....is a more natural one...i believe. I was really upset at first as the weight was just not coming off....but once my meds regulated my TS4/3 levels.....the weight starting to come off.....Not to worry, keep smiling ...eat a very healthy diet (google the foods you should avoid for hypo thryroid etc...) and exercise...and you will be as good as new. Cheers! :)
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I had to have my thyroid removed last year and I am on levothyroxine so I guess that makes me hypothyroid. I agree it is really hard to lose the weight, but I am not gaining a lot either. I try to walk extra to make up for the slow metabolism. There is a group on here called hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • 222michelle
    222michelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been on levothyroxine for several years. After a few weeks of taking meds, I felt less sluggish and could deal with the cold weather a little better. (Hypothyroidism also affects body temp. regulation). My body seems to be happy 10 lbs. down from where I was, but any pounds I have lost lately have been slow and difficult to take off! I will research which foods to eat - I have reduced carbs and added a lot more veggies.