Basmati Rice

Options
Just weighed out 150g of uncooked white rice which recorded at 517 calories.

Surely that can't be right and if so how many of you eat it?

Seems a bit high in calories if you are counting.

Replies

• Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've had it before but had no idea it was so high in calories. Wow! I'm not sure how much 150 grams is..... is that a portion size?
  • dragoness07
    dragoness07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right with the calories. I usually eat an uncooked portion of about 60-70 gr and rice weighs about double after cooking. Hope that helps :)
  • mlrodgers381
    mlrodgers381 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    (You cannot go by un-prepared) 3/4 of one cup (prepared), which would equal around 6oz which is approx 170g, is only 150 calories. Remember when rice is cooked it puffs up. So what your uncooked portion will actually balloon up about 3 times when cooked. Anotherwords that 150g uncooked, will be about 450(ish) cooked, so yes if you ate the whole thing it would probably be that many calories.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

That is a lot for one serving, since 150 grams is about 5.36 oz. Maybe 3 servings.....?
  • Vicks1978
    Vicks1978 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i find different brands of basmati to be majorly different so always check the labels now before buying....i love it....but my portion size is only 60grams, 100 if i am mega hungry
  • yavrig
    yavrig Posts: 28
    Options
    A servng of rice is 1/4 cup dry, or 3/4 cup cooked. It's less than 200 calories if you make it with just water and salt.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

I had white basmati rice last week with chickpeas curry - a match made in heaven. You need 3/4 cup (cooked) = 160 calories
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    150g uncooked rice is 2-3 servings ....
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    Being Indian I eat a lot of basmati but I weigh it when its cooked, around 150 grams is enough for me plus whatever im eating it with. Its high in cals but as long as it fits in your macros then its fine
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I only ever use Basmati and a decent portion at 250g cooked is only 380cals. I would maybe have 150g as a portion. You could always cook some up then portion it out for at least one other meal.
  • bouchie11982
    bouchie11982 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A servng of rice is 1/4 cup dry, or 3/4 cup cooked. It's less than 200 calories if you make it with just water and salt.
    Ditto.
    I usually measure mine after it's cooked. I LOVE basmati rice, i can't swallow brown rice, the texture is just too much for me. Basmati rice is good for when you need to finish your macros or if you just worked out, you need some simple carbs to replenish the ones you've just burned. You can also try Quinoa, it's better for you and has a higher protein content then Basmati.
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm stunned by it tbh, done slimming world before and its a free food so to see it be so high in calories threw me a bit.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    A standard portion of rice as stated by US nutritional panels is generally 1/4 cup raw, which is in the neighborhood of 45g depending on the type and brand. That's 150 +/-20 or so calories. I usually prepare a cup at a time and then divide it into 4 servings.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I dont know the calorie count of the rice, but had no idea that it could be that high. Had it a buffet restaurant, I guess I went over my cals that day LOL. Thanks for posting.