bigger now than when i started.

Options
124»

Replies

• ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Lots of good advice here - I especially like the comment about getting a backbone not a wishbone - I need that!

Motivation comes from yourself - when YOU decide, commit, and start doing it NOW.
    Focus on CHANGE not results.
    Change your bad habits, substitute good habits.
    Keep at it, don't give up - we all fall off the wagon now and then, just get back on.
    Get your body moving - look for opportunities to move.
    Go into success stories and read some of the amazing changes people have made. They are amazing - and you can be too.
    Log everything, learn from your logging, make better choices next time.

And take time - you didn't get fat in a week so you won't get healthy and fit in a week.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • bazeboll
    bazeboll Posts: 4
    Options
    Unfortunately, you're right about weight being the number one factor in assessing health risk in an individual. But it shouldn't be. Most doctors (and of course the general public, but doctors should know better) automatically assume that if a person is "overweight" (subjective term) they are at risk for all components of the metabolic syndrome. And often they are. While there is some research supporting the idea that adipose tissue in and of itself may be harmful, there is much more research supporting the idea that fitness is more important than fatness -- that a person can be simultaneously fit and fat. But because weight is positively correlated with components of the metabolic syndrome, the assumption is that fatness causes them. However, as most people are aware, correlation does not necessarily equal causation. Fatness is also highly correlated with sedentariness. And much research supports the idea that exercise improves metabolic syndrome components, regardless of weight loss.

So why does it matter? If many fat people are at risk for diseases of inactivity because they are inactive, why does it matter that a doctor doesn't bother asking them if they are active or not, assumes they are not, and so tells them to lose weight? It matters because most doctors emphasize the weight loss, which is another symptom, instead of emphasizing the exercise, which is the cause. Instead of prescribing exercise, they prescribe weight loss, which can be achieved in numerous unhealthy ways. Or they may prescribe exercise "until you lose x amount of weight." So what happens if the overweight person doesn't lose any weight? What is the motivation to continue to exercise? What if doctors prescribed exercise, the patient came back in 2 months, and their LDL had dropped from 150 to 130? That's motivating.

I want to say again that I am fully aware that the reason most people want to lose weight has nothing to do with health, but with looks, and it's why I think it's incredibly important to set concrete goals such as completing a race. Achieving a goal like that tends to make you see yourself differently when you look in the mirror.
  • JessBeloved1
    JessBeloved1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It depends on your personal style, and level of dedication; but I lost 85 pounds on the HCG diet...and know quite a few people who also lost a lot of weight on it.
    -
    -PRO: It is ridiculously effective, you lose approx. 1 lb per day, and if you follow the "maintenance phase" guidelines, you do actually keep it off.

-CON: It is also ridiculously strict, and regimented, and if you cheat, you super waste your time, effort, and money.
    -
    I would be doing it again now, except that I don't have the willpower, and drive to be that strict with a diet right now, I need something more flexible...but it does work extremely well, if you are very determined, and follow it like the law.
  • bazeboll
    Options
    I know this won't be popular, but it's science. Stop trying to lose weight. Eat healthy and exercise because those things make you healthier, but do not necessarily result in weight loss. If you don't know what "eat healthy" means, in general it means eat lots of fruits and vegetables, eat whole grains, eat lean meats, avoid processed foods, and eat until you feel satisfied instead of full. And every once in awhile have a cookie. Or a piece of cake. Or whatever it is that keeps you from feeling deprived, because if you feel deprived, you won't want to continue to eat healthy. Pick an event to train for -- a mud run, obstacle course, the color run, bubble run -- there are a million fun events. Train for it, do it, get the T-shirt, then pick a different event. And don't weigh yourself. I know, I know, everybody wants to lose weight to "look good" but that is completely subjective and for most people has little to do with health. And weight loss usually ultimately results in more weight gain. I'm not a pessimist, I'm a doctoral student who studies energy balance and metabolism.
    I only disagree to a point because if one is already overweight and eats the amount they need to maintain their current weight while working out, they'll only get more fit. They'll still be overweight. NFL linemen are a good example of this.
    While weight shouldn't be the ultimate factor, it's still the number factor in assessing health risk in an individual.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bazeboll
    Options
    Okay, I may be making an even bigger mess -- I don't really understand how the "replies to" work, but I'm gonna try this. So you'll see this comment again later as a separate comment because I thought I was replying. Sorry. (I hope this is the right way now).

Unfortunately, you're right about weight being the number one factor in assessing health risk in an individual. But it shouldn't be. Most doctors (and of course the general public, but doctors should know better) automatically assume that if a person is "overweight" (subjective term) they are at risk for all components of the metabolic syndrome. And often they are. While there is some research supporting the idea that adipose tissue in and of itself may be harmful, there is much more research supporting the idea that fitness is more important than fatness -- that a person can be simultaneously fit and fat. But because weight is positively correlated with components of the metabolic syndrome, the assumption is that fatness causes them. However, as most people are aware, correlation does not necessarily equal causation. Fatness is also highly correlated with sedentariness. And much research supports the idea that exercise improves metabolic syndrome components, regardless of weight loss.

So why does it matter? If many fat people are at risk for diseases of inactivity because they are inactive, why does it matter that a doctor doesn't bother asking them if they are active or not, assumes they are not, and so tells them to lose weight? It matters because most doctors emphasize the weight loss, which is another symptom, instead of emphasizing the exercise, which is the cause. Instead of prescribing exercise, they prescribe weight loss, which can be achieved in numerous unhealthy ways. Or they may prescribe exercise "until you lose x amount of weight." So what happens if the overweight person doesn't lose any weight? What is the motivation to continue to exercise? What if doctors prescribed exercise, the patient came back in 2 months, and their LDL had dropped from 150 to 130? That's motivating.

I want to say again that I am fully aware that the reason most people want to lose weight has nothing to do with health, but with looks, and it's why I think it's incredibly important to set concrete goals such as completing a race. Achieving a goal like that tends to make you see yourself differently when you look in the mirror.
  • Chrissieh39
    Chrissieh39 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for you kind harse and straight to the point words of encouragement. I have taken these on board and read few each day over and over again. and it is helping. THANK YOU.x:smile:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    A good start would be starting NOW

Not tomorrow.

I know the 'I'll start tomorrow' Diet all too well.

You can and will do this.

I agree with this. I started this journey off by just logging my foods. I started to get mortified by what i was eating each day and started to make changes. The weight is coming off. Its hard work, and I have days where I still overeat, but I never say oh well i have spoilt it now might as well keep bingeing for the rest of the week. No, I try my best to stick to my calories the next day.

I think the best thing is not do anything drastic, keep it simple and it will work. good luck. x
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for you kind harse and straight to the point words of encouragement. I have taken these on board and read few each day over and over again. and it is helping. THANK YOU.x:smile:

good for you well done.
  • touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This site is great. It takes one addition (food) and ties it to another (internet) and the end result is that we become addicted to eating and living healthy while sharing our experiences with the community. Not a bad deal huh?

^^This. Its addicting seeing what other people are eating and how much exercise there doing etc and it makes you want to join them in doing that. The best thing I've found about this is that it doesn't feel like a 'diet', I'm not obsessing about food and feeling guilty if i eat something. If I have a pkt crisps its perfectly fine i just have to log it in and it stops you from feeling deprivated. Good luck with your weightloss. Feel free to add me if you'd like encouragement.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Tough love answer here.

Problem is "you're trying". You're not COMMITTING. There's a difference. Until you are sick and tired of being sick and tired and get a backbone instead of a wishbone, you'll keep trying...........and trying.........and trying. Quit trying. Just get it done now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. Also, one quote I remember from the Weight Watchers boards..."Being overweight is hard. Losing weight is hard. Chose your hard." Good luck to you!

I love both of these. Commit to yourself and, above all, be honest (but nice) to yourself. If you're going to log (and i recommend it), weigh and log every single thing you put in your mouth. If you don't, you're setting yourself up to fail because, if you don't achieve, you won't truly know why. The only person you'd be fooling is yourself, and of all the people in the world that you should trust to respect you, is you! Even if you don't start modifying your eating right away, DO start logging so that you can see the truth of what you're eating. That will likely be enough to get you to start changing your habits.

You can do this, but you have to really want it. So, go on, choose your hard.