tips on apetite supression.

Options
Hi. I have noticed that my weight has suddenly crept up and I am heavier than ive ever been. Ive just recently joined the gym and am now reducing my calorie intake. However an hour after ive eaten Im hungry again. Does anyone have any tips on how to stay fuller for longer and reduce sugar cravings and hunger pangs. :grumble:

Replies

• 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water
    Make sure your meals include a combo of protein, fat (healthy kind) and complex carbs (avoid crap carbs like white bread/rice/donuts)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Don't suppress your appetite. Satisfy it. Proteins and fats satisfy most, and for longest.

I find a macro ratio of 30/30/40 protein/fat/carbs to be very satisfying, and I rarely find myself hungry, and hardly ever struggle to come in under my calorie goals.
  • Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and eat 6 times a day.
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    eat more protein and smaller, more often.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you want to suppress your appetite?

Eat a reasonable caloric deficit.
    Eat a proper macro spread.

If you are still hungry, start adding in more nutritionally dense but calorie light food like veggies.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    hi Charlotte, I would suggest to increase protein and stay away from starchy carbs like rice, bread, potato, pasta. I read that eating sugar increases the cravings for it. Not sure how true that is but perhaps that is why this one is so hard for us to kick. Moderation is the key unless you have a health reason to stay away from the sugars. Hope this helps because we all struggle.
  • microlitigator
    microlitigator Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. Try eating more low glycemic index foods [e.g., beans (white, black, pink, kidney, lentil, soy, almond, peanut, walnut, chickpea); small seeds (sunflower, flax, pumpkin, poppy, sesame); most whole intact grains (durum/spelt/kamut wheat, millet, oat, rye, rice, barley); most vegetables, most sweet fruits (peaches, strawberries, mangos)]. Your body takes longer to release the sugars from these foods into your blood stream, so you don't feel like you're starving two hours after eating. Also, a 2012 study shows that, after weight loss, the energy expenditure is higher on a low-glycemic index diet than on a low-fat diet.

2. I started substituting avocado on a whole-grain english muffin in the morning instead of spreadable cheese; I feel fuller in the morning much longer now. I have joined the Cult of Avocado.

3. Fiber. Fiber makes you feel fuller, longer. Be sure to drink plenty of water as you increase your fiber intake.

4. Pick a go-to vegetable that you can eat a ton of without worrying about the calories mounting quickly. Baby carrot sticks, broccoli, and cauliflower are mine.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    There's nothing really wrong with appetite, I wouldn't really try to suppress it. Instead, I would play around with meal timing and frequency to find what suits you best, Some people work well on lots of small meals throughout the day; others do better on one or two big meals. Make sure you get plenty of protein, fibre and fat, and drink plenty of fluids. Also, don't be tempted to drop your calories too low; smaller calorie deficits are more sustainable in the long run.

Some more tips here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html
  • calmthundr2
    calmthundr2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Water is the first thing... don't over do it but at least 8 cups a day is usually recommended and you might need more depending on your sodium intake.

Someone mentioned a while back (I forget who) that cravings can come from not having enough of the nutrients you need (specifically micro-nutrients such as your vitamins and minerals). Vegtables can give you a lot of those micronutrients without a lot of calories so having some of those around and just having something small might fill the need and stop the hunger. If you aren't thrilled about vegetables just think of it as an add-on, something additional in the day to give you what you need but doesn't much affect what else you get to eat during the day.

One step that helped is that when I felt a craving is to have a glass of water and then agree with myself to wait at least 10 minutes and do something other than think about food for that time. If I was still hungry after that I would go ahead and have something that could fit, even if it was small.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Being hungry isn't the end of the world. I just look forward to my next meal, and make sure it's something satisfying. You're hungry after half an hour because whatever you just ate wasn't sufficient.

I'd rather have 500 calories of something delicious later than 100 calories of nothing now, and 400 calories later. If I tried to eat 100 calories every hour, I'd be absolutely miserable. If I ate 600 calories twice a day, I'd be much happier.
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Eat 6 times a day ? I thought it was 8
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Food
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    eat protein and fibre rich foods. these will fill you up for longer. try drinking water, sometimes i think im hungry but im really thirsty.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? If you aren't, it could be why you're hungry! :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have noticed that my weight has suddenly crept up and I am heavier than ive ever been. Ive just recently joined the gym and am now reducing my calorie intake. However an hour after ive eaten Im hungry again. Does anyone have any tips on how to stay fuller for longer and reduce sugar cravings and hunger pangs. :grumble:
    You may not be hungry. It may be habitual. Change the habit. Eating more foods with high fiber content helps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    For me, big salads with veggies and protein, very little dressing, and a big glass of water really help.
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Water and green tea does the trick for me.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Meals high in protein and fiber
    Half your weight in water daily.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

what?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Meals high in protein and fiber

I'm supposed to drink 9 gallons of water a day?