The "Fast Metabolism Diet" by Haylie Pomroy

Options
Has anyone ever tried "The Fast Metabolism Diet"? I was just reading about it, and it totally disparages the "calories in/calories out" mentality, and the idea of counting calories at all... Am tempted to try it, but would love to know if anyone has any experience with the method. It's a 28 day regime, very programmed... not sure I could pull that off...

Replies

• AnneOdland
    AnneOdland Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen this post... I'm wondering if I logged the question in correctly... No one has responded... (Maybe no one on this site has heard of "The Fast Metabolism Diet"?) Please let me know if you have an opinion about it, from experience.
  • rosah2
    rosah2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of this so I looked the book up on Amazon.com because they always have reviews that I read to see if I want a book.

First of all, on this diet, you have to give up a lot. Examples: dairy, wheat, corn, soy, caffeine. No way am I giving up my coffee and milk!

Then I read a review where the person showed the calorie count of several days worth of meals.

Phase 1 (you are on it for 2 days out of the week)
    Breakfast 127 calories
    Snack 40 calories
    Lunch 158 calories
    Snack 53 calories
    Dinner 390 calories total 768 calories for the day

Phase 2 (you are on it for 2 days out of the week)
    Breakfast 74 calories
    Snack 88 calories
    Lunch 218 calories
    Snack 118 calories
    Dinner 174 calories total 672 calories for the day

Phase 3 (you are on it for 3 days out of the week)
    Breakfast 254 calories
    Snack 60 calories
    Lunch 197 calories
    Snack 258 calories
    Dinner 438 calories total 1,207 calories for the day

This would be so bad for me because I spent 40+ years trying to lose weight at 1000-1200 calories/da and didn't know what I was doing to my metabolism until recently. My doctor told me the way to fix my metabolism is to not eat under 1800 calories a day so I want to lose weight and get healthy.

I will be interested in seeing if anyone else comments that they have tried this.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    It's a load of poop.

Why give up all the things you like? I drink beer and eat pizza. My ticker isn't lying. Any diet that forces you to not eat things you love is a recipe for failure.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    As the poster above has demonstrated, it's just another very low calore diet carefully branded to stop you focussing on the fact you're eating a piss-poor amount of calories and making you believe they have the magical cure.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Any "diet" (especially those with names like "the fast metabolism diet") are crap. Sorry to be harsh, but the sooner you get that through your head, the sooner you're going to have success with long-term weight loss, health, and happiness.

You say it's not about calories in vs. calories out, yet according to the poster above, you're eating 700-1200 calories a day. Obviously that's less calories than you burn just by being alive, so yes, it actually IS about calories. It's just disguised not to look that way because it's a fad diet.

I think it's hilarious that this is called "the fast metabolism diet" when in reality, eating so few calories can actually SLOW your metabolism over time. 28 days of it isn't going to kill you, but in the long run, eating so little just isn't healthy for you.

Eat a reasonable amount of calories for your body, make mostly healthy choices, and exercise when you have the time. That's all you need. Ask any successful person here on MFP and they will tell you the same.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Any "diet" (especially those with names like "the fast metabolism diet") are crap. Sorry to be harsh, but the sooner you get that through your head, the sooner you're going to have success with long-term weight loss, health, and happiness.

You say it's not about calories in vs. calories out, yet according to the poster above, you're eating 700-1200 calories a day. Obviously that's less calories than you burn just by being alive, so yes, it actually IS about calories. It's just disguised not to look that way because it's a fad diet.

I think it's hilarious that this is called "the fast metabolism diet" when in reality, eating so few calories can actually SLOW your metabolism over time. 28 days of it isn't going to kill you, but in the long run, eating so little just isn't healthy for you.

Eat a reasonable amount of calories for your body, make mostly healthy choices, and exercise when you have the time. That's all you need. Ask any successful person here on MFP and they will tell you the same.

So much awesome in one post.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

So much awesome in one post.

QFT
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have read all the negatives on the forums here, but decided to try it for myself and my husband. I have been stuck at a plateau for a while even with exercise and adding in weight training. I am one who rarely does a "diet" and I generally prefer lifestyle changes. But I was just so tired of being in the same spot. It's frustrating. To the person who said, "Eat a reasonable amount of calories for your body, make mostly healthy choices, and exercise when you have the time," I have done this for the past six months and the scale hasn't budged. And I make very healthy choices 9/10 of the time, exercise regularly (and I don't mean a stroll around the block).

For me, the diet is VERY hard during phase 2. I'm vegan. But my husband (who does nothing remotely resembling "healthy") and I (vegan with very little processed food and logging on MFP for a long time) decided to do it. We started last Wednesday and I've lost 4#, he has lost 5#. And I haven't been hungry at all.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I recently started listening to the audio book out of curiosity. While I'm not finished with it yet, it doesn't appear to be a low calorie diet the way the other poster described it. The author advises eating specific types of food (fruit, carbs, veggies, protein, fats) on certain days in a specific order, but the overall message is eat as much of those things as you need in order to feel full and satisfied. I'm not a convert to her method, just pointing out that what was originally posted here is not necessarily correct about calorie amounts.
  • Maliboomermaid
    Maliboomermaid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am trying this diet as everyone at work is doing it as someone lost an incredible amount of weight over the summer (We work at a school so hadn't seen her in a few months) on the FMD. I was at a plateau and decided to see if it would work. THen I started plugging the foods I was eating into MFP and realized the reason it's working is because I'm eating from 700-1200 calories a day, the most being in Phase 3 and the least in Phase 2. It's kooky how she designates certain foods for certain days claiming some big fat burning reaction is being created within your body and revving up your metabolism. I say if you cut out all the foods, etc. the diet requires and just split the fat portions only allowed in Phase 3 over the entire week, as well as the carbs etc. -- and just ate BALANCED -- you would lose the same amount of weight. She criticizes starvation and deprivation diets, yet hers is just that!!!! Granted, you ARE eating "REAL" food, and that is a good thing. And I am never really hungry because of the quality of the food, but I think that's how she skirts around it with the whole "I don't believe in counting calories" B.S. -- because if you DID, you'd realize you were really eating too few, which is the REAL reason people are losing on this. I have lost 5 lbs in about a week and a half and have another 5-10 to go, but I have also CHEATED!!!! I have had cashew butter to round out my calories in Phase 2 as I felt I was way too low at about 500 calories one day....and I splurged on some cocktails over the weekend on Phase 3 and didn't really see the need nor did I have the desire to eat the tons of fats that are supposed to "flush" fat out of you system...REALLY?!?!?! So I'm doing it mainly to be disciplined and have the support of co-workers. It keeps me on track -- nobody wants everyone ELSE to lose the weight while you dogpaddle...
  • simallard
    Options
    I am currently on day 3 of the Fast Metabolism Diet and I love it! It appears I have already lost 3.8 lbs and I never feel hungry. As a matter of fact I find it difficult to eat everything I am supposed to eat! I will keep you posted as to my progress, but I am very pleased with it and find it got me out of a well-worn rut of being on and off Weight Watchers. Dramatic, but it gives results!
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    sounds legit
  • jhroper
    jhroper Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 on this diet. Finding lots of success on this diet. Never hungry and my skin glows. My husband actually likes some of the foods I make like the turkey chili and the coconut curry chicken. Usually after a week I am desperate for other foods but I LOVE what I am eating! I don't miss the junk.
  • L_Cass
    L_Cass Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The person who posted the calories counts per day is WAY off. How did you come up with 254 calories of a meal for breakfast in phase 3? None of her meals are that low cal. Here's one of the recipes for breakfast out of her book for phase 3:

1/2 cup steel cut oats (340 cals)
    1/2 cup berries (41 cals)
    1/4 cup raw nuts or seeds (200 cals)
    stevia
    ground cinnamon (18 cals)

That amounts to 599 calories for breakfast. Lunch would then be something like an avocado turkey lettuce wrap, and dinner would be avocado chili or coconut curry chicken (delicious).

This is NOT a low calorie diet. But I did lose about 10 lbs on it in about 6 weeks. It works if you follow it the way she recommends. Too bad I went off of it and gained it all back.
  • AnneOdland
    AnneOdland Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Funny, I posted this question last June, and never saw any responses… thought I had done something wrong in getting the question posted. I just figured out how to see the responses, haha. Now I'm newly intrigued about this diet, though I'm still not sure I could pull it off… Glad to see it has worked for some people-- and that it is not in fact a super-low-calorie diet...
  • cardunn
    cardunn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Correction to L-Cass who added up the calories for a FMD Phase 3 breakfast. Have tried this diet for many many weeks. It works in the short term but it is hell. Especially if you are prone to migraines. So the mistake in teh calorie count was assuming that the 1/2 cup of steel cut oats is uncooked in phase 3. You only get 1/2 a cup of COOKED oats in phase 3. Revised calorie count looks like:

1/2 cup steel cut oats (85 cals)
    1/2 cup berries (41 cals)
    1/4 cup raw nuts or seeds (200 cals)
    stevia
    ground cinnamon (18 cals)

That amounts to 344 calories for breakfast.
  • caseyjmc
    caseyjmc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm on this right now, and my daily calorie count comes to 1800-2400. I have more than 40 lbs to lose, so I eat for breakfast, on phase one for example, a cup and a half of steel cut oatmeal, a cup and a half of any phase one fruits, 6 oz protein and phase one vegetables (unlimited sweet potatoes or spinach or ???). So, honestly, I don't know where your numbers are coming from!
  • jkyro87
    jkyro87 Posts: 1
    Options
    My wife and I have been on this diet for 8 days. The whole low calorie thing is bs. You eat as much of the food as you need for each meal or snack. We've both lost ten pounds and that's even with a couple if cheats (a couple beers and hot sauces). I even throw in a protein shake each day after a heavy workout at the gym. The ONLY thing I've changed was what I eat. Normally I'm a decently healthy eater as it is. I still have 15 more lbs I want to lose. It's coming off. Unless you've tried it you really have no room to call this plan crap.
  • Gali80
    Gali80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I want to lose just 4-5 pounds and decided to try it. I love the way it helped me get rid of coffee and sugar. Week 2 now but not much results with weight loss if any at all. Hope I can keep it for 28 days and will then report final results.
  • Susanjellybelly
    Susanjellybelly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 3 and I am still undecided if it's hooey or not. I plugged the meals into MFP and one day I ate 900 cal and if I had done the cardio I was supposed t do it would have been 500 cal! Then I plugged in a Phase 3 day and ate 1700 calories. WTF?
    In the first week I lost 8, then I lost nothing the second week and the the third week I gained 2. It's not confusing my metabolism , it's messing with it!
    However, having said that, Phase 3 (with MyFitnessPal to help) would be great. On the plus side, it's great as a reset. I was up to 5 coffee a day and I'm a big sugar hound. I think after I finish this I'll go back to coffee but less and I've lost my taste for sugar. I find I need a lot of salt on this diet. If you try the recipes in the book, bleck. Tasteless and you can't throw a bunch of stuff in a crockpot and expect it to taste good.
    If you have a small amount of weight to lose and are relatively active, don't do it. Buy a Looneyspoons cookbook and the Moosewood Cooking for Life, and stick to MFP. If you have a lot of weight and some really bad habits ( like skipping breakfast, eating processed food and not drinking water) this might be the jumpstart you need. If you treat it like a cleanse or spring housecleaning of bad habits, it's fine. Otherwise it's kind of nutty.