Extra exercise to splurge a little? Yes or no?

Options
I have been very dedicated to this and am having great success so far. I have never frequented restaurants but am having eating out this week. I plan to make healthy choices but even then I know that eating out still usually results in more calories. I was thinking if I burned an extra 200 calories with exercise I could enjoy a night out. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Yes. Also keep in mind that 200 calories is less than a bar of chocolate or large glass of wine (in most cases). Just track honestly and don't freak out and you'll be fine.
  • adairbrum
    adairbrum Posts: 68
    Options
    you can have a night out , if you have been good for some time , enjoy have fun and get an exercise in just to make yourself feel better, it works out just fine .
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Exercise or not, your call. a night out/off won't do ya any harm!! :smile:
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I see people on here all the time saying things like:

"just exercise a little hard the next day and you'll be fine"

idk, chasing calories with exercise seems like borderline eating disorder to me. I've just never looked at it that way.
  • purpk
    purpk Posts: 9
    Options

idk, chasing calories with exercise seems like borderline eating disorder to me. I've just never looked at it that way.

I agree with the chasing calories point.

Accept that your will power failed temporarily for a meal and move on. Do not let your "cheat meal" become a "cheat day" and this just screams bad idea by telling yourself its ok to eat crap if you run a little harder next time. This is encouraging yourself to sabotage own your progress.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good idea. I would say burn 300 to 400 calories though. Depending on what you think you might drink with your food at the place you are going. Hope you have fun.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It is normal to go out and splurge a little with friends You should never be a slave to your calories that is an eating disorder. Enjoy food and friends! At times that means exercising or doing without maybe just so its not an everyday occurance and normally you are eating healthy. Relax one day maybe high and one day you maybe low some days are like that.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

Really? To me, chasing calories with exercise is called "making athletic gains".

Talk about missing half the point. Cutting fat is just one side of getting fit, and being obsessed with running constant deficits is borderline disordered thinking. Only thing I would change about the plan is to do the exercise first, THEN eat over maintenance.

The best way to avoid getting all emotional and making a mess of this is to think of it as a science project, not a moral undertaking. There can be no guilt if there are no sins. Do some squats and eat a big meal, get a nicer *kitten*. Where is the problem?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    You should never be a slave to your calories that is an eating disorder.

Following a plan to achieve objectives is not an eating disorder.

If this person values another day of progress more than another few drinks, that's a legitimate choice. Making an informed decision to go over targets is fine too.
  • paulstapleton
    paulstapleton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    yes i splurge every now and then or i would give up.I look up the web site befor i go check out the menu and check cals of different meals on MFP database then make my choice.
  • paulstapleton
    paulstapleton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    yes i splurge every now and then or i would give up.I look up the web site befor i go check out the menu and check cals of different meals on MFP database then make my choice.:drinker: :drinker: