Want to try paleo, but it seems so BORING.

LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
I absolutely love a variety of foods in my diet and I've never been one to cut out specific food groups. However, I'd like to give paleo a try, more as a personal challenge to myself than anything else. I've been eating pretty badly lately and I think really cracking down for a month or so would be good for me. Plus, I'd be trying something new, which is never a bad thing. For this reason, I've decided to try the Whole30 program by Whole9 (it's basically just really strict paleo for 30 days). After I finish that I'll probably try to keep eating mostly paleo, but allow myself treats in moderation.

Here is the shopping list for the Whole30 program: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

Based on those foods, I just feel like I'd be so bored and go nuts after three days of this thing!! I have friends who have done Whole30 and everyone says they loved it and the results were amazing. But I just don't see how anyone could "love it." Based on the shopping list here's how I picture a day of eating:

Breakfast: egg scramble with veggies
Lunch: grilled chicken salad with olive oil dressing
Dinner: steak with broccoli and sweet potato
Snacks throughout the day: fruit and nuts

That doesn't sound so bad for a day at all... but EVERY day? I feel like I'm going to get so bored... How do you paleo people do it?

Replies

• dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    so you need bread to entertain you? get creative dude.. there are seriously jillions of combinations that you can make.

learn to love seasonings. chicken can be italian, mexican, greek, indian, whatever. fish, same way. steak and pork can be prepared and seasoned in a ton of ways too. get creative with chia, flax, and other seeds. try new vegetable preparations. add fruits to meat dishes. experiment with a slow cooker or blender. you're only limited by your imagination.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Try mixing your proteins up throughout the day. Instead of eggs and veggies try having steak and eggs. Or making an egg white frittata with roasted garlic.

You can make baked sweet potato fries. Don't forget to use the fat from the proteins you are eating. You can make a grilled chicken cutlet over a bed of baby spinach with an overeasy egg on top with demi glace from the chicken or beef you've cooked previously as an aus ju.

You can roast the nuts as a snack or make beef/turkey/lamb/venison etc jerky as a snack as well or some hardboiled or deviled eggs.

There are a million things you can do. Think of your favorite meals and cravings and attempt to recreate it paleo style. I personally am doing a hybrid of Mediterranean and Paleo bc I love having some sort of grain every once in a while but avoid processed flour products.

If you ever have some stuff you need help with message me on here and I can give you some ideas. I have been working as a chef part time for over 6 years so I'm always willing to share some insight.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    1) There are other things to entertain yourself with besides food.
    2) Hot sauce.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Why would you want to try paleo?
  • CookNLift
    If you have a craving for bread there are plenty of Paleo recipes using almond flour as a substitute that comes out pretty darn close.

Also, try reading the Hunger Games. I love the series, but if you look closely at what Katniss eats almost everything is Paleo. One of my favorite recipes that is extremely easy to make is:

Lamb Stew with Dried Plums - Essentially you braise the lamb in stock, add in sweet potatoes, onions, veggies, and dried plums (prunes) and let it slow cook for an hour or so. It is supposed to be served over wild rice, but is plenty delicious to eat on its own.

Here is the recipe for it from a Paleo Website too! (Just realized I used this as a reference the first time I made it and wasn't doing paleo at the time either!)

http://paleospirit.com/2012/hunger-games-lamb-stew-with-dried-plums/
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    I don't eat paleo, but I downloaded a paleo app called "nom nom paleo" on my I-pad. Its a GORGEOUS app, very well developed and with a ton of paleo recipes. Lots of pictures and takes full advantage of a touch screen environment.
    App cost 6.99, but that's a ton cheaper then the cook books. It gave me a ton of low carb ideas...
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    I had bruschetta chicken over zuchinni noodles last night, pork loin with sauerkaut and apples for tonight, stuffed cabbage using riced caulifour in the filling, then spaghetti meat sauce over spaghetti squash noodles and then Thai taco wraps. It is not boring it does require you to do a little work to learn how to cook and eat. Like any other eating plan.
  • sam_the_wicked
    sam_the_wicked Posts: 14 Member
    I have founds ways to make all the things i love in a paleo manner. Here's a list of some of my favorite sites that have paleo recipes. I was going to buy recipe books to cook paleo but there is so much for free online you really don't need to! And any recipe you have you can sub out regular or wheat flour for coconut or almond flour (they each have their uses... i like coconut better and it's cheaper). Good luck... I haven't made the plunge to total paleo but thinking about it. Interested in seeing how you make out :)

http://www.primalwill.com/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-recipes/#axzz2VqRIcHOF
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-diet-recipes/
    http://everydaypaleo.com/
    http://www.proteinpow.com/2013/04/blueberry-protein-pancakes-egg-free.html
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Spices are your friend. I don't think going paleo is necessary, but it definitely doesn't have to be boring. There are tons of recipes on the internet. Most sauces are off the list, but fresh and dried herbs can really liven up a dish and make one piece of chicken taste completely different than another.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Thanks for the ideas everyone!! I'm just used to snacking on things like string cheese, greek yogurt, air popped popcorn, peanut butter toast, etc. As well as occasional treats like ice cream!! So it's just a little hard to fathom eating ONLY meat, fruits, and veggies, you know?

Also I'm a HUGE fan of The Hunger Games so whoever suggested looking into that, I'm in love with you haha. The thought of eating like Katniss just motivated me like 10000x more :D

I'm pretty picky about my meats and will only eat chicken, steak/beef and occasionally pork (I used to be vegetarian and most meat still grosses me out). So that limits my options somewhat but I think I can live with it.

I will check out that paleo app, sounds cool.

Also, part of the Whole30 program is that since it's only 30 days, you're supposed to not try to "re-create" your favorite foods paleo style. They claim that defeats the purpose of learning to eat like this. I don't know how much I buy into that so I may break that rule :P
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    It doesn't have to be boring, you're just going to have to learn to cook and make things interesting. That said, way to restrictive for me, and IMHO, completely unnecessary.
  • I just started paleo yesterday, but I'm already considering changing my mind!! I thought you couldn't have potatoes of any kind or jerky of any kind whether homemade or store bought... please correct me if I'm wrong!
  • mollynz
    mollynz Posts: 3 Member
    I'm two days away from finishng my first whole 30 and feel insanely good! My energy levels are up, daily headaches are gone and I'm well on my way to slaying the "sugar dragon". I know at first it seems that eating this way would be restrictive, but once you start delving into all the different vegetable/spice/meat or egg combinations there are (as well as the myriad of ways in which both vegetables and meat can be prepared) you soon realise the possibilities are endless. Not forgetting that you can add some fruit and nuts to your day too. Have fun with it and go mad with your veggies - I read a lot about paleo being meat based, but I've never eaten so many vegetables in my life! I highly recommend a paleo recipe book called Well Fed. This has been my go to source for all things delicious.

Anyway, good luck with your whole 30, I hope you enjoy it and the results.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Pretty easy to make good food with paleo restrictions. The premise on the other hand, seems mildly absurd.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Paleo/Primal can be as fancy or boring as you choose. I don't find it boring at all to be so healthy and losing weight effortlessly. A lot of us make so many things from scratch and use lots of tasty seasonings and fats. However, I do not think this lifestyle is useful for a temporary diet at all. It's best as a permenent lifestyle change and, honestly, I love it. But then, I was just about dead when I finally came to a Primal lifestyle so I'm pretty passionate about it. It is not "absurd" to eat whole natural foods. It's absurd that so many people don't think that what one eats affects health.

Based on your thread title, I was going to say "with your attitude, don't bother" but your post was much more thoughtful than the title. :flowerforyou:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    It is not "absurd" to eat whole natural foods. It's absurd that so many people don't think that what one eats affects health.

It's absurd to call it an obviously inaccurate name.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Why don't you try a more open approach? Maybe eat Paleo during the week, then normally on the weekends? Maybe once you get used to Paleo you can eliminate the non-Paleo days from your diet. It doesn't have to be all or nothing!!
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    I just started paleo yesterday, but I'm already considering changing my mind!! I thought you couldn't have potatoes of any kind or jerky of any kind whether homemade or store bought... please correct me if I'm wrong!

Regular white potatoes should be avoided for the most part (very starchy, fairly high glycemic index), but sweet potatoes are totally great in moderation!

Also, jerky is just dried meat...as long as you're not bathing it in sugar sauce during the curing process (like so much of the store bought stuff is), eat up!

This is a pretty good resource for newbies to the paleo/primal thing: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

And while the basis of paleo - "eating like a caveman" - is based on a skewed view of how our ancestors lived, there are many benefits to cutting out grains and most dairy, like improved digestion and an increased ability for the body to burn stored fat.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    wrong
  • CookNLift
    wrong

? ?? what is wrong?