Signed up for my first 5K!!!!!

Options
Hi again!

I have signed up for my first 5K and I am not very much of a runner but it is going to be Color Me Rad 5K (so you get colored in colored cornstarch) it looks so much fun! I am starting to train now so I can hopefully jog the whole way without walking....but I have a long way to go. The race is in September.

Any of you guys have an tips for the first time 5K runner?? Running tips? (sometimes I wonder if I am breathing correctly when jogging....lol)

Anything I need to bring with me to the race?

Tip would be much appreciated!! :)

Thanks!!

Replies

• Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I started running several months ago and just finished 5k #2 at right around 29 minutes. One of the hardest things for me was wanting to be fast as soon as I started running. My trainer told me to go about 5.2mph in the beginning and then work up distance first then speed would come which was very helpful.(still not overly fast) After you hit the first half mile it will get harder, but just keep at a steady pace and start near the front of the pack. Both times I started near the back with a friend and it took quite some time to just pass the slower people that rarely stay to the right. Best of luck and you will do great!
  • Fonarios
    Fonarios Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    hello heather!! i haven't officially signed up for a 5k yet but i am starting to train for the next one that pops up in my city. i downloaded the nike run app and i basically just try to beat my own time every time i run. even if its only 5 seconds. good luck on your runs!!
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your race! I'm doing my second 5K this Sunday and it is the same race, different location. I'm super excited. :bigsmile:

Anyway, as for advice from a fellow new runner:
    - Make sure you have good shoes if you don't already (get fitted at a running store, gait analyze, etc)
    - Go low and slow. Speed will come. Build distance up slowly. I've hurt myself trying to do too much too soon.
    - Compression sleeves for your calves are FANTASTIC if you have issues in your legs (like I do).
    - Foam rollers are AMAZING. I use it as part of my stretching routine before any length run to make sure my legs are warmed up.
    - Day of the race, enjoy! Listen to some music before you start out to get you PUMPED UP!
    - It's normal to be nervous! Especially if you've never ran a 5K before. Try not to let it get the best of you. Have FUN!
    - Focus, relax, breathe.
    - When it comes to breathing, don't think too much about it. I find I cause most of my side stitches by focusing on my breath too much. Let your body do its thing and enjoy the ride!
    - There are plenty of couch to 5K running programs if you need a structured program.

Hope some of those help! I've been running for 6 months now, and those are some helpful tips I've encountered along the way.
  • heatherweber87
    heatherweber87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I also just got a foam roller it is AMAZING!
  • heatherweber87
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!!
  • heatherweber87
    Options
    Yes, I have heard that espically on this particular race many walkers don't stay to the right, thank you for your tips!!