Probiotics....is my stomach suppose to hurt like this:( ugh

Options
Ive been taking a probiotic for 2 days now and since ive been taking it ive had the worst stomach ache and liquid craps. WTH? Will this last for the duration of time i take this supplement or will it let up soon? I sure hope so,,, ive heard a lot of good things about taking probiotics, but somehow i miss the part about the stomach aches.:huh: :frown: :embarassed: :indifferent: :grumble: :angry:

Replies

• nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    You stomach is absolutely adjusting to them. Its designed to support healthy bacteria. So if you think about it, yes its normal.
    You put a foreign substance in your body, your body is reacting.
    Give it a week. Drink a lot of water.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    If you have gut issues and bacterial imbalance, then yes you can get back stomach cramps until your body adjusts.

Also, if you have any type of Candida issues (yeast issues) you will have bad aches and pains..........
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any antibiotics or had any gut issues lately? If so probiotics are a waste of time, most people REALLY don't need them. Personally I think making yourself feel ill for something with no proven benefit isn't a good idea!
  • Wizard87
    Wizard87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've taken probtiotics for years. The first thing you should know is that all probiotics aren't the same. They use different strains of bacteria, and some have far more active bacteria than others. I use Align (available at Costco), which is one of the better ones. I tried one from Trader Joes, and I had pain and discomfort all the time. Give it a couple of days, but if you still feel bad try a different probiotic. As a very general rule, the cheapest probiotics are c@@p. Avoid tablets and use capsules or liquid whenever possible.
    On a side note, I was prescribed probiotics for stomach pain, and since I've started on MFP I haven't needed them. I'm eating better food, and less of it, and that seems to be doing the trick.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    You stomach is absolutely adjusting to them. Its designed to support healthy bacteria. So if you think about it, yes its normal.

I'm really not sure if you're being serious with this, or kidding.

If you're being serious... wow.

Diarrhea is not supporting of healthy bacteria and is not normal. Derp.

Those probiotic products are marketing hype, they generally won't do ****all for you, but they do look cute. You want goo bacteria? Raw milk. Good yogurt, or home made yogurt from a good culture. Good clean raw veggies, and a good mix of raw veg in your diet.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    How many billion live organisms are in your probiotic? Some can be quite high and you may want to cut your dose in half until your body adjusts. Some are designed more for an acute need (after certain illness/antibiotics/etc) and some are better as a maintenance dose. You may want to check what strains are in it and google the individual strains to see if anything jumps out at you...you may be able to find a probiotic with a different balance that may work better for you.
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It took about 2 weeks for my stomach to settle down but then I felt great!
  • Lmullaney79
    Lmullaney79 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    made my stomach so upset that i never went back
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

Those probiotic products are marketing hype, they generally won't do ****all for you, but they do look cute. You want goo bacteria? Raw milk. Good yogurt, or home made yogurt from a good culture. Good clean raw veggies, and a good mix of raw veg in your diet.

this
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options

They may (possibly) do a teeny bit of good, but you're right, most of them are killed off by your stomach before they get to the gut where they'd be any use. The small numbers that survive aren't usually high enough to do any good.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've taken probtiotics for years. The first thing you should know is that all probiotics aren't the same. They use different strains of bacteria, and some have far more active bacteria than others. I use Align (available at Costco), which is one of the better ones. I tried one from Trader Joes, and I had pain and discomfort all the time. Give it a couple of days, but if you still feel bad try a different probiotic. As a very general rule, the cheapest probiotics are c@@p. Avoid tablets and use capsules or liquid whenever possible.
    On a side note, I was prescribed probiotics for stomach pain, and since I've started on MFP I haven't needed them. I'm eating better food, and less of it, and that seems to be doing the trick.
    I use Align as well on a daily basis. For the first week it was bad....
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    I use Align as well on a daily basis. For the first week it was bad....

I also use Align. Have taken them for three weeks and have had zero issues with them!
  • bouchie11982
    bouchie11982 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    F that. I was on a probiotic for 2 weeks and had severe stomach pain and embarrassing gas. I stopped taking them and I felt fine. They just aren't for me.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!
  • PhatBaeB
    PhatBaeB Posts: 11
    Options

Thanks alot:) I need to do a little more research, I see
  • PhatBaeB
    Options
    It took about 2 weeks for my stomach to settle down but then I felt great!

maybe theres hope afterall. today hasnt been so bad. i feel pretty good. im gonna give it until Friday and if im still having issues ill just either cut back or stop completely.
    thanx
  • PhatBaeB
    Options
    If you have gut issues and bacterial imbalance, then yes you can get back stomach cramps until your body adjusts.

Also, if you have any type of Candida issues (yeast issues) you will have bad aches and pains..........

no kind of candida issues, just trying to help out my digestive system.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Then just eat better. To quote someone from Maine.

You can't get there from here.
  • Ppleater
    Ppleater Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The discomfort is caused by the Jarisch–Herxheimer reaction, and is essentially the by-products (or 'toxins") of harmful microbe die off.

http://prescribe-nutrition.com/probiotics-got/
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    PhatBaeB wrote: »

It's pretty normal for you to have a negative reaction when you start using probiotics because you're introducing bacteria into your body. I take both pre and pro biotics on a daily basis and don't have any issues.