my guacamole recipe
    avacado
    lemon
    tomato
    red onion
    olive oil
    club house roasted red pepper seasoning

cut up avacado in small cubes
    dice tomato and red onion (mix with avacado)
    squeeze the juice from the lemon into the avacado
    add 1/2tsp of olive oil
    season to taste with roasted red pepper seasoning
  • mrsjoyw
    mrsjoyw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I dont mean to sound dumb but, when you mash the avocado in let's say your tuna or egg salad, does it turn brown? I mean when you cut an avocado and simply wrap the other half and keep in the fridge, it starts to turn brown. So I've always been curious to try it in place of mayo but I wondered if it would turn brown.
    I'm so tempted to try all of these wonderful suggestions as I absolutely love avocados too.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    love avacado and love all these ideas
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Avocado's are amazing on anything, including pizza. Just a tad jealous that I can't eat them all the time like that. :sad: too many calories to fit into my 1600.
  • EnuffaMyButt
    EnuffaMyButt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    protein shakes. I make one that I call a Shamrock Shake. It's delicious!
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Grilled avocado with grilled chicken breast and pico on top!
  • fitbot6313
    fitbot6313 Posts: 11
    Options
    Avocados taste good on just about anything. My favorite is is all by itself with a sprinkle of salt.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Creamy Avocado Pasta*
    Yield: Serves 4

Ingredients:
    12 oz. pasta (I used whole wheat spaghetti)
    2 ripe avocados, pitted and scooped
    1 lemon, juiced
    2 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 handful fresh basil
    1/4 tsp. kosher salt
    Freshly grated parmesan

Directions:
    Set a medium-sized pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta, reduce heat slightly and cook until al dente, 8-10 minutes.

In a food processor, combine avocado flesh, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, basil and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside in a large bowl.

Transfer cooked pasta to the bowl. Toss with avocado mixture and freshly grated parmesan. Serve with additional grated parmesan, if desired.

Enjoy!

* Please note: This dish must be served same day, same minute it’s made. It cannot be left out, refrigerated, or frozen without turning brown from the avocado. As soon as it’s done, just dig in!
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for later. I'm getting hungry...
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor specifically say "eat avocados" or did they suggest avocados as one way to increase your HDL? There are plenty of other foods out there that you could eat as well to hit your HDL targets - like nuts, olive oil (salads/cooking), oatmeal.... there are plenty of lists out there of foods that will help you raise HDL! :)

One of my newest favorite avocado meals is an egg baked in the middle of an avocado half. You have to spoon out a little of the avocado to get the egg to fit. You can use the whole egg or just the egg white to make it healthier (and cut down on bad cholesterol). Keep the avocado in the skin. prop it up with tin foil (so the egg doesn't drip out) on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 425 and cook for 15-20 minutes until the desired egg doneness. The warm avocado is to die for!

She specifically said avocados, I know there are other foods out there that help... but to be honest, i really love avocados so Im curious about different ways people eat them.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I like to mash it w/ diced up onions and Serrano peppers or jalapeños to put on burgers or sandwiches
  • coffee4me57
    coffee4me57 Posts: 195
    Options
    bump
  • Lila90
    Lila90 Posts: 27
    Options
    How i eat my avocados:

-homemade chocolate avocado pudding

-homemade fudgesicles

-as an oil alternative when baking chocolate or dark chocolate sweets: muffins, brownies, & cookies

-for creamier smoothies

-as a spread: sandwiches, burgers, tortillas
  • chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Avocado smoothie that tastes like a milkshake

1/2 ripe avocado
    1 cup milk (your choice of dairy or non dairy) I prefer coconut milk
    1 tbsp cocoa powder (i prefer ghiradelhi)
    1 tbsp honey
    ice
    Blend until smooth
    ENJOY !!!!

best part is you can take away some of the liquid and it turns into a mousse
  • kathyvstephan
    Options
    bump
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Avocados are really good in smoothies. They give a great creamy texture with not a lot of flavor changes. It's great with just vanilla yogurt or protein powder and avocado, too. A banana makes it even sweeter.

Awesome! I have a few avocados in the freezer I've been trying to find a use for. Smoothies will be great.
  • adfabus
    adfabus Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can freeze avocados???? What is the texture like when they thaw?
    Avocados are really good in smoothies. They give a great creamy texture with not a lot of flavor changes. It's great with just vanilla yogurt or protein powder and avocado, too. A banana makes it even sweeter.

Awesome! I have a few avocados in the freezer I've been trying to find a use for. Smoothies will be great.