who's addicted to food

Options
Food is my Addiction. I eat when I am happy, sad, it doesnt matter. To me its worse then a drug. Every where I go. Every time I turn on the TV. or radio. Its there. How does a large person that is trying to get started losing weight, well, fight those demons? I tend to binge it as well. Only when I am alone. If someone is around I am good. Like a true addict.

Replies

• lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Me me me me!!!!!

I'm more of a food like product addict :(
  • lovejulez03
    lovejulez03 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure it out, honestly. Therapy once a month (would go more if i could)... for ME my food addiction comes from past issues from childhood that spiraled out of control. And since I'm a psychology major I am beginning to realize things about myself and my ways of thinking, yet despite all the revelations I STILL cant stop eating like crap! It's a long process. Regardless of what your food addiction stems from you just have to keep trying. Build up your self esteem by not quitting ..if you have to find something to get angry about then do it. For me, I started doing it because I knew there were people that didn't think I could. I didnt think I could actually lol
    That's my little rant, I apologize. Just remember.. studies show that sugar activates the same parts of the brain that crack does. food addiction is very real. Everyone handles it differently. I've met great people on here that have went months and years without having a binge day or falling off the wagon too bad.. but that's not everyone. It takes time to change a mindset..and with all the chemicals and crap they put in food, it's not ALWAYS about pure willpower.

Soap box over. The bottom line is I know how you feel. Don't give up. every time I eat like crap I feel like crap..and want to eat more. lol makes no sense huh
  • Joeparr
    Joeparr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    sometimes we all need the rant....and to me we all have the baggage to force into that addiction...thank you
  • Joeparr
    Options
    i understand that feeling...thank you
  • StrongFitSexy
    Options
    I absolutely love food! I always go on a binge right before I go to bed and it's something that i am battling with myself to stop binging because that's how I gain weight. It's very hard to live with someone that constantly buy junk food and doesn't care about being healthy and all of these junk is very tempting....:grumble:
  • fataalic
    fataalic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am a food addict, too. :cry: :blushing:

Back in December of 2012 I read some book about food addiction and started following the plan it prescribed.
    I did not eat anything that contained wheat, and nothing sweet, except fruits (natural sugar)
    I lost cravings and the food that used to taste awful started tasting really good.

Few months later, my life got so busy that I did not have time to cook the "right" foods for myself and had to stop at the fast food restaurants and buy food. I also ate whatever I found in the house. I did not have time to sit and eat, instead I walked and ate.

Now, all the cravings are back and I am often eating uncontrollably...well almost...I somehow manage to stay under 2000 cals a day.

I am trying to somehow go back to "no wheat" and "no refined sugar", but it is harder this time. I can do it for a day or two and then I start munching on forbidden foods again.
  • CoachBrandice
    CoachBrandice Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have found that for myself and for clients stopping the binge has to be the number one priority, not weight loss. Weight loss will come as a result of these changes but only once you address the binge can weight loss efforts be permanent.

Joe, you mentioned that binging tends to happen only when you are alone. What else characterizes a binge? What makes it different from normal eating for you? (time, place, speed, types of food)
  • Joeparr
    Options
    the amount of food. in a period of time . speed eating it. forcing it in. example. wendys number 2 then maybe a local pizza at least candy and chips while driving. then back to a fast food spot then ice cream. cokes and soda all the time. last time to the doctors we est the total calories over 10000 in a 8 hr period...thats when i learned i cant do this any more.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Just like crack
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Me.
  • paintedladytc2010
    Options
    Being here is a good start. I've been here 2 weeks and lost about 2 lbs. It takes a bit of determination....I am a bit crankier
    than usual, sort of have small temper tantrums (all by myself) when I tell myself that I can't just go and eat what I feel like now
    because I have a goal. I need to stick with it. It isn't always easy. I lost 20 lbs and gained it back due to a whole year of bad
    crap (many different things bombarded me)...and after working out and watching what I ate. I never got below 200! I will now!
    I like MFP and think it's teaching me what is really in the foods I'm choosing and eating. I have had to portion control, downsize
    meals, stop honey in coffee (most of the time but sometimes I just gotta have it!)...

I'm looking forward to saying I've been here 1 month. Supposedly if I stick to what I'm doing, I should be losing roughly 9 lbs
    in 5 weeks? That would be nice.

Good luck to you. Keep your goal in mind and keep your daily totals in basic check, give or take some. :flowerforyou:
  • paintedladytc2010
    Options
    cut out soda! It's horribly bad for you. It took me a year to stop drinking it altogether. I drink 2 liters of water a day (since Jan 2011) and 1-2 cups of coffee a day (usually 1). Occasionally, I'll have some orange juice. No other sugary drinks at all.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Me. Food is my drug of choice and I hate it :cry: I feel like I am never going to lose these last 19 pounds :sad:

Edit for spelling ... jeezus.
  • ysienkiewicz
    ysienkiewicz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am finding losing weight to be much harder than quitting smoking, and I was a pack a day smoker for almost 25 years!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My addiction to food is far off worse than my addiction to cigarettes. I've done a really good job using this site to help me get it under control but I still have my downfalls.
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    i can't live without cakes and dessert by i am managing good. i bought soya chocolate milk and that it the only thing that i allaw my self to see and drink and only a cup per day. unfortunately comes the moment when we need to say STOP and start doing something good/healthy for ourselves. eating everything it is just like being selfish with our body.
    i am not an expert.. im just like you all but i am trying to do something positive. GOOD LUCK
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    i'm addicted to hamburgers pizza cookies and the rest of it.

it sucks getting on the scale a day after you binge though.

this site is working wonders for my self control
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Im Pretty addicted, I feel like I'd die without it.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water before you eat and you will get full faster is one way...Eat nuts like almonds(what I like) Beef jerky is high in protein low in calories and fat.force yourself to eat a apple or banana...Don't buy junk and you won't be tempted as much.What you eat first thing in the morning your body will crave all day long...Say you eat alot of carb and sugar like pancake and syrup you will notice you will crave more carbs and sugar during the day....Just my opinion alot of people in my family are fit and my dad is very smart and taught me some things growing up about nutrition...
  • pinkmunky1
    Options
    I love food too :) but it's when I started having a respect for food, ate slowly, enjoying every mouthful, displaying it in attractive bowl/plate and making it in more of an art, that I started eating less and felt more satisfied. Don't restrict yourself by telling yourself that "I can't have this, I can't have that." as it will make you crave for them even more and will be on your mind. Try things like: eating with a small fork, using the smallest bowl or plate (therefore having seconds won't be a worry :) ), stocking fridge and pantry with wholesome real food(not junk or low fat "diet" foods), and instead of treating/rewarding yourself with food, reward yourself with something non food related. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Maree